Reps pushing back on Trump's NAFTA/USMCA

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

tibs and begs will waste all your energy, it never gets anywhere

no sense in trying to discuss anything with them.....

hear me now, believe me later....

most times it's not about getting somewhere with them. it's more about not letting a fallacy slide by.

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

why bother?

that's why.

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 1

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 11:00 AM, dpberr said:

Insofar as choice, I'd agree we don't.  VW has a nice mid-size pickup you'll never see on a street here.  

However, I feel the tariffs help keep these companies in business and that generates jobs, advances in automotive research and development and a source of American automotive technology for the military. 

There isn't a country in the world that does not tariff something to protect its automotive industries.  The concept that there is free trade in the automotive industry is a myth, largely because the sale of automobiles is just the retail face of a much larger defense contractor, that if needed, will build all the tanks and vehicles a war may need.  

That's why the government ultimately protects them.  Sure, the jobs are nice but it's really about that if the US finds itself in a war, it needs American resources available to build stuff, and lots of it.    A USA without American car plants can't build armor.  Can you imagine needing 100 battle tanks in six months and you have to rely on Elon Musk to do that or the benevolance of of a foreign entitty to build them for you?  

An interesting example - The M1 Abrams tank contract was awarded to Chrysler Defense...who beat out General Motors. 

Oh, so they can rust out too?

3rd