Is it time TD took Shelton for TH straight up?

With this news:

Shuan Alexander Update

Tue Mar 29, 2005

The Seattle Post-Intelligencer reports Seahawks GM Tim Ruskell isn't saying RB Shaun Alexander will be traded, as has been widely speculated since the Pro Bowl running back was given the franchise tag last month. But he's not saying it won't happen, either. The club has given Alexander's agent permission to seek a trade for less than a first-round draft choice, but there has been no market -- as is the case with Colts RB Edgerrin James and Bills RB Travis Henry. "Something's going to have to have to happen," Ruskell said. "Everybody is just kind of stuck. ... There's just a dance going on now. It's a very slow dance."

Why wouldn't the Cardinals take a stab at Alexander for a 2nd round pick?

Then trade down a few picks and take the best available QB?

Why wouldn't the Cardinals take a stab at Alexander for a 2nd round pick?

289609[/snapback]

$$$$ Plain and simple. Alexander is seeking a huge, long term contract with a large bonus. If the Cards feel they need to Draft their QB of the future, then you're talking 5 Mil a year minimum with a 10 Mil + signing bonus. That's probably the ballpark Alexander is asking for also. Same with E. James of the Colts.

The Cards have multiple needs and can't just dump their entire future cap on 2 skill positions, QB and RB. This makes Henry a more attractive option, at present.

$$$$  Plain and simple. Alexander is seeking a huge, long term contract with a large bonus. If the Cards feel they need to Draft their QB of the future, then you're talking 5 Mil a year minimum with a 10 Mil + signing bonus. That's probably the ballpark Alexander is asking for also. Same with E. James of the Colts.

The Cards have multiple needs and can't just dump their entire future cap on 2 skill positions, QB and RB.  This makes Henry a more attractive option, at present.

289618[/snapback]

I agree 100% Mark.

The thing is, I consider Alexander to border on being great. Travis? Well..... :doh:

If this trade is completed, it is going to be fun watching Ariz. having found yet another way to lose. :)

I agree 100% Mark.

The thing is, I consider Alexander to border on being great. Travis? Well..... :doh:

If this trade is completed, it is going to be fun watching Ariz. having found yet another way to lose.  :)

289631[/snapback]

So you think Alexander is bordering on being great and yet no one will trade a second rounder for him? So he must not be worth a second rounder, right? I have heard that refrain from you before.

Or, perhaps, there are a myriad of extenuating circumstances in why or why not a player may be traded (or not traded) for a certain round of draft pick that has little to do with his "worth".

So you think Alexander is bordering on being great and yet no one will trade a second rounder for him? So he must not be worth a second rounder, right? I have heard that refrain from you before.

Or, perhaps, there are a myriad of extenuating circumstances in why or why not a player may be traded (or not traded) for a certain round of draft pick that has little to do with his "worth".

289646[/snapback]

Of course things such as salary matter. If this was not the case the dolphins would certainly grab Alexander and a qb from the Chargers, right?

Of course things such as salary matter. If this was not the case the dolphins would certainly grab Alexander and a qb from the Chargers, right?

289651[/snapback]

So you're saying you can often not use what a player may or may not be offered from other teams as true value of how good they are or what they are worth?

289646[/snapback]

The problem is not the 2nd rounder, the problem is the salary he's going to demand and/or has. Teams don't want to blow that kind of salary at the expense of other needed positions.

I agree 100% Mark.

If this trade is completed, it is going to be fun watching Ariz. having found yet another way to lose.  :)

289631[/snapback]

"Dam coach stabbed me in the back" Thinks Trying to win a game to get in the playoffs more inportant than me getting the rushing title

Woudn't want this guy on my team no way no how.

$$$$  Plain and simple. Alexander is seeking a huge, long term contract with a large bonus. If the Cards feel they need to Draft their QB of the future, then you're talking 5 Mil a year minimum with a 10 Mil + signing bonus. That's probably the ballpark Alexander is asking for also. Same with E. James of the Colts.

The Cards have multiple needs and can't just dump their entire future cap on 2 skill positions, QB and RB.  This makes Henry a more attractive option, at present.

289618[/snapback]

More then that. Jordan got 4 years 24 million and that is what Henry thinks he deserves, with a 7 million bonus. I am betting James and Alexander want closer to 12 million in bonuses and probably something like Faulk got a few years back 7 years 45+ million.

So you're saying you can often not use what a player may or may not be offered from other teams as true value of how good they are or what they are worth?

289654[/snapback]

I am saying that you vastly over rate the value of Travis Henry.

He is under contract at a cheap price tag, and yes; this does increase trade value.

If he was even almost as good as described by you, teams would be making us generous offers. The best one we have so far is a lineman from a team that plans to cut him.

The problem is not the 2nd rounder, the problem is the salary he's going to demand and/or has.  Teams don't want to blow that kind of salary at the expense of other needed positions.

289661[/snapback]

Oh, I know. I was just harrassing Bill for his pretzel logic over Travis. :doh: He continues to say that no team will trade a 5th or 4th or 3rd let alone a 2nd round pick for Travis because he is the worst player ever to put on a uniform. And not only an NFL uniform, but I believe if I am reading correctly, a Pop Warner uniform, a cheerleader uniform and perhaps even the worst football player ever to put on an Arby's Roast Beef uniform.

I am saying that you vastly over rate the value of Travis Henry.

He is under contract at a cheap price tag, and yes; this does increase trade value.

If he was even almost as good as described by you, teams would be making us generous offers. The best one we have so far is a lineman from a team that plans to cut him.

289671[/snapback]

No, I am saying there are numerous reasons why we cannot get fair price for him, which is precisely why TD is holding it back. His contract, being one year, actually hurts and not helps the TRADE value, not the worth. The fact he was hurt last year really hurts him. The fact there is a ton of good running back talent right now in the draft and around the league hurts him tremendously. The fact that he had a bad year hurts him a lot, too. The fact that the Bills have Willis McGahee hurts him, too. The fact that he has an idiot for an agent and he's not an Academic All American hurts him, too.

Oh, I know. I was just harrassing Bill for his pretzel logic over Travis.  :doh: He continues to say that no team will trade a 5th or 4th or 3rd let alone a 2nd round pick for Travis because he is the worst player ever to put on a uniform. And not only an NFL uniform, but I believe if I am reading correctly, a Pop Warner uniform, a cheerleader uniform and perhaps even the worst football player ever to put on an Arby's Roast Beef uniform.

289675[/snapback]

Yeah Kell, but you are the other extreme.

All he does is lose. The flaws in his game and personality are evident, yet you prop him up as a superstar, and then try to justify the lack of interest around the league.

I concede that many factors determine trade value. Circumstances can make it tough to get much for a very good player like James, let alone a bad one such as your superstar, Travis henry.

Yeah Kell, but you are the other extreme.

All he does is lose. The flaws in his game and personality are evident, yet you prop him up as a superstar, and then try to justify the lack of interest around the league.

I concede that many factors determine trade value. Circumstances can make it tough to get much for a very good player like James, let alone a bad one such as your superstar, Travis henry.

289689[/snapback]

Never once said he was a superstar. I have always admitted he has faults, several of them in fact. Try again.

289618[/snapback]

There's more to it than that and I doubt Alexander signs for even that money. He's quite full of himself and has the reputation of being a bit of a malcontent "me first" guy. Also, he's not considered "tough" or a guy who can be counted on in clutch time, though he ran much tougher this year (probably because it was a contract year).

The concept of "worth" is a relative thing. VA and BfNYC think Travis is worthless and that Shelton is a far better player. Yet Green is willing to trade Shelton for Henry straight-up. Most agree that Alexander and James are great RB's and better than Travis, yet no one wants to to trade for them for anything more than a day 2 pick, because of their pricetag. Then on the other hand, you have a team like the Raiders giving away a ridiculous contract to a RB whose CAREER stats don't even match Travis' best SEASON. So suffice it to say that Henry is at least worth Shelton, who I think the Bills could use and can take and make something out of, and I'd be willing to bet TD gets an extra pick somewhere in the draft for him. Maybe not a swap of 2nd rounders, but a day 2 pick.

There's more to it than that and I doubt Alexander signs for even that money.  He's quite full of himself and has the reputation of being a bit of a malcontent "me first" guy.  Also, he's not considered "tough" or a guy who can be counted on in clutch time, though he ran much tougher this year (probably because it was a contract year).

289694[/snapback]

That pouting he pulled on Holmgren after losing the rushing title by a yard. How suicidal was that ? Horray team ! :doh:

That pouting he pulled on Holmgren after losing the rushing title by a yard. How suicidal was that ? Horray team !  :doh:

289701[/snapback]

And that's just the most recent example. He's driven Holmgren nuts because he's not willing to block, nor is he a good short yardage guy anywhere but the goalline.

Not the Holmgren doesn't deserve to be driven nuts...