Off the wagon

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Hires Greg Williams over Marvin Lewis and John Fox.

What have the other two done? The Pathers SB run was an aberrision. We would not have been in any better position with either of them.

2) Decides Rob Johnson IS worth investing another season in.

and SD decided at Drew Brees was worth another season. QBs are a crap shoot.

3) Trades future first rounder for Drew Bledsoe

again, a crap shoot. Who else would he have gotten to fill in the QB poition? Joe Dufek or Matt Kofler?

4) Franchises Peerless Price in hopes of re-acquiring 1st round pick given up for Bledsoe (not a bad move, just another attempt to assert "brilliance")

that was a risk worked, in my opinion. We essentially traded Price for Bledsoe. Neither did well.

5) Signs Takeo Spikes, the most coveted free agent in 2003.

and the problem with this is?

6) Uses the 1st round pick obtained for Price to take a remarkable gamble on McGahee

7) Quickly uses up recently acquired cap space to acquire Lawyer Milloy before season opener 2004

8) Fires Greg Williams, hires another unproven coach without the highest credentials in Mike Mularkey

9) Absorbs an 8 MILLION DOLLAR CAP HIT last summer to keep Bledsoe another year (a move that also cost us a couple of additional million this off-season)

And the other option was to start a rookie with no proven backup? Had JP gone down as he did people would have been calling him an idiot for letting DB go. QBs are a crap shoot.

10) Allows younger, more productive A. Winfield to leave and acquires aging Troy Vincent who will now be an overpaid safety

Winfield would have put the team in salary cap hell, pure and simple.

11) Trades this year's first to draft J.P. Lohsman, a QB with notable maturity issues

and the problem with this is? So, he is damned for keeping DB and damned for giving up a draft choice for JP. Can't have it booth ways.

12) Holds up a win-win trade involving Henry long enough that Henry shoots his mouth off (which was INEVITABLE) and likely hurts some of the value he actually had. In a season where neither SHAWN ALEXEXANDER nor EDGERIN JAMES can be dealt for a 2nd round pick.

I think he is playing this situation perfectly. Patience.

9)  Absorbs an 8 MILLION DOLLAR CAP HIT last summer to keep Bledsoe another year (a move that also cost us a couple of additional million this off-season)

289500[/snapback]

This is the only move I disagree with. So TD is doing fine as far as I'm concerned.

Rookies. It's easy to tell who you are because you WHINE after a 9-7 season. Yeah, that was truly painful I hate winning 6 games in a row. I hate having the best OLB in the NFL. I hate having the best young RB in the game.

You want pain? Try watching a team that won 8 games TOTAL from 1970-73. Or a team that went 10-34 from 76-78. That not bad enough? How about 8-40 from 84-86? Remember "0-for-the-70s" against the Dolphins? I do.

STFU, pick up my bag, and sing your goddamn fight song.

Rookies.  It's easy to tell who you are because you WHINE after a 9-7 season.  Yeah, that was truly painful  I hate winning 6 games in a row.  I hate having the best OLB in the NFL.  I hate having the best young RB in the game.

You want pain?  Try watching a team that won 8 games TOTAL from 1970-73.  Or a team that went 10-34 from 76-78.  That not bad enough?  How about 8-40 from 84-86?  Remember "0-for-the-70s" against the Dolphins?  I do.

STFU, pick up my bag, and sing your goddamn fight song.

290024[/snapback]

Umm, you forgot to sign off with " :doh: "

:)

CW

One point of clarification. My desire to see Modrak take over should indicate that I've not given up on the Bills, but on Donahoe. I'm not looking for a new team, just a new direction.

I've offered my opinion and if yours differs that's fine. I've not done hours of research to substantiate my claim. I've done what most of the posters on these boards do: I read what someone else who is an insider has to say and I base an opinion on that.

I agree, it is a game. Unfortunately, I've not enjoyed the game the way I hoped to when TD arrived. I would be re-energized with a change at this point. The particular point I hoped responders would jump on is the Modrak banner I was waving. How much support he garnered was what I was most interested in reading.

Thanks for the responses.

apulshunny

#1 is right.  #2 is only right in hindsight. Everything else is wrong.  Good luck to you in the future.

289601[/snapback]

So we did not trade a #1 for Bledsoe? We did not take a chance drafting McGahee? I don't understand how I'm wrong about those facts?

Please clarify my mistake with the correct details.

Hiring Gregg Williams, drafting certain players etc. were bad moves and the criticism is warranted. Twisting it into some power hungry evil plot to get revenge on the Steelers or move the team out of Buffalo are the M.O. of some of our resident Smacktards, who can't produce any hard evidence or understand the negative backlash.  :doh:

289638[/snapback]

As I read replies, I see that a common theme is that I believe Donahoe is "jeopardizing" the Bills intentionally. I don't think he's TRYING to make mistakes. I just think he has accumulated a number of risky moves and I think ego absolutely drives him. If he acted with the same abandon as GM in Pittsburgh, then I guess it's just his character and not a change of operations since coming here. I just don't recall the Steelers going out on a limb as often when he was there.

I still love the Bills, I'm just not excited about their chances this year.

One other thing: as for the "strong" finish last year, I totally subscribe to the theory that they took advantage of a weak schedule, beat the teams they should have and retarded the potential development of Lohsman last year by pretending to be a contender.

On the other hand, I WAS encouraged by Mularkey's ability to make game day adjustments. I commented on that during the season last year. It was a welcome change from the deer in the headlights approach Greg Williams brought to the sideline on game days.

Just my OPINION fellas.

apulshunny

So we did not trade a #1 for Bledsoe?  We did not take a chance drafting McGahee?  I don't understand how I'm wrong about those facts?

Please clarify my mistake with the correct details.

290125[/snapback]

It's a fact that those moves were made, however your conclusion that they were bad moves is wrong.

For those of us who remember Buffalo's last rebuilding period during the early/mid 80's, when Ferragamo, Kofler, and Dufek were the QBs, Bledsoe was a good choice to be the transitional QB, and worth the mid-first round pick.

Donahoe did a good job of getting Buffalo back into the first round with the Price deal.

The risk in drafting McGahee was a calculated risk, as the Bill medical staff signed off on his knee. So it's hard to figure out how you criticize a guy for getting top 5 talent with the 23 pick in the draft.

NOOOO who will I buy tickets off of next year????

290210[/snapback]

Don't sweat it. The Bills won't even be here by then. Because they're such miserable failures, they will move the team to NFL Europe. Buffalo will get another franchise in about 59 years.

Set a Personal Bills Goal instead.

The Bills aren't going to win the SB or the Division for that matter. So set a personal goal like if they go .500 you'll be happy, or if a favorite WR gets 50 catches or some other lowered expectation that you acn live with.

What do you think about that option ??

5)  Signs Takeo Spikes, the most coveted free agent in 2003.

6)  Uses the 1st round pick obtained for Price to take a remarkable gamble on McGahee

7)  Quickly uses up recently acquired cap space to acquire Lawyer Milloy before season opener 2004

8)  Fires Greg Williams, hires another unproven coach without the highest credentials in Mike Mularkey

I'll never understand why people cannot read intent instead of jumping to defense. I SAID SOME MOVES TURNED OUT OK and specifically cited the outcome of the Spikes signing and the eventual outcome of the McGahee draft. The only move that showed no real risk (unless you want to stretch the salary cap ramifications, and I think that would be a stretch) is the Spikes signing. The others certainly came in with baggage and/or risk and I concede that some have worked out so far. Some not so much.

Either way, this team has not met the levels of prominence that TD promised and I think things are going to get worse before they get better.

Since some of you are not on the Modrak wagon, if TD went away, who would be better?

11)  Trades this year's first to draft J.P. Lohsman, a QB with notable maturity issues

and the problem with this is? So, he is damned for keeping DB and damned for giving up a draft choice for JP. Can't have it booth ways.

Again, the pick was a RISK. I'm not saying I hate the pick. I hope J.P. is great. The reality is, some were not high on the guy because of his arrogance. Before the absolutists come out, I do recognize that other successful QB's have had arrogance. It was just another example of a stand-out move that inherited possibly more risk (and number of draft choices in particular) than necessary.

For the record, there were other options, so I can have it both ways. My opinion at the time was that Bledsoe was not going to make ours a better football team.

I still feel I was right. I cannot say that I can recall now what QB's were available last off-season, or what QB's came after JP in the draft. I wish I could be more clear on what specific option may have been better at that time, I just don't recall TODAY.

Off the top of my head, I would have been happier with Brees last year than Bledsoe even before the season Brees just had. I'm sure Brees would have come cheaper than JP did. I would have felt better about Griese for that matter. At the time I would have been happier with Garcia, but alas, his failures last year must absolutely mean he would have failed here too.

As I look back over most of the replies, I see rebuttals to my specific points, but not the beems of sunlight pointing out how great we will be next season.

Thus my disappointment.

Help

I'll never understand why people cannot read intent instead of jumping to defense. I SAID SOME MOVES TURNED OUT OK and specifically cited the outcome of the Spikes signing and the eventual outcome of the McGahee draft. The only move that showed no real risk (unless you want to stretch the salary cap ramifications, and I think that would be a stretch) is the Spikes signing. The others certainly came in with baggage and/or risk and I concede that some have worked out so far. Some not so much.

Either way, this team has not met the levels of prominence that TD promised and I think things are going to get worse before they get better.

Since some of you are not on the Modrak wagon, if TD went away, who would be better?

290366[/snapback]

Every football personnel decision ever made has a risk associated with it. If you have the 23rd draft pick in the first round, you probably have about a 1 in 10 chance of picking a pro bowler. It is so stinking easy to judge these things 3 years later.

If the guy got hurt - bad decision

If the guy can't adjust to the pro game - bad decision

If the guy becomes a marginal starter - bad decision

If the guy becomes a solid starter - Of course he should be a starter he is a first round pick.

Pick a draft, any draft and go down the list of first rounders and how successful they were. There are some gems, some marginal and some busts and they come in no particular order. No GM ever consistently hits on all of his draft picks, even in the earlier rounds. The good ones just have a higher average than the rest. From my viewpoint, Donohoe has a pretty good average compared to most and that is why we have been improving each year.

No sense replying anymore to this guy. He obviously doesn't feel the need to defend himself. He makes an idiotic statement and then goes away. I say good riddance..... :lol:

289939[/snapback]

Uh, i posted this before going to bed last night and have a day job. Sorry I don't have this message board at my disposal 24/7.

I'm going back to work now. Bash away in my absence.

290366[/snapback]

I don't know what team you were watching last season but I saw a team that went 8-2 it's last 10 games. Notice a trend? So go take your flying leap off the Bills 2005 bandwagon before the season begins. Wouldn't be the first panic move by a TSW member, won't be the last.

I like the overall direction TD has taken this franchise. There were only a few really questionable decisions:

1. Hiring a defensively minded coach in GW. Our defensive coaching staff was already good to go with the defensive coaches Wade left behind. We should have brought in an offensive coach, as Tampa Bay did when they traded for Jon Gruden. TD came to this realization several years later with the Mularkey hiring.

2. Failure to use the draft to upgrade the offensive line. In his four Buffalo drafts, TD has used a total of two first-day picks on offensive linemen. Both picks became full-time starters; the only offensive line starters TD has found via the draft. I hope TD uses both his first-day picks on offensive linemen this coming draft.

Other than these two obvious mistakes, I'm pretty much okay with the way TD has handled the team. What about the Bledsoe trade, you ask? Well, Bledsoe had a good half-season in 2002. Is it worth it to trade away a first round pick for a good half-season that doesn't get you into the playoffs? No. But that half-season DID attract quality free agents like Sam Adams and Takeo Spikes. Had TD not traded for Bledsoe, those players probably would have signed elsewhere; so I regard those defensive free agents as the real value of the Bledsoe deal.

I don't know what team you were watching last season but I saw a team that went 8-2 it's last 10 games. Notice a trend? So go take your flying leap off the Bills 2005 bandwagon before the season begins. Wouldn't be the first panic move by a TSW member, won't be the last.

290385[/snapback]

I agree the Bills were a better team at the season's end than at its beginning. But the change in the W/L record was as much a function of strength of schedule than it was of the Bills getting better. It's a lot easier to beat Cleveland at home than it is to go on the road and beat Baltimore. The season-ending loss against the Steelers has left a bad taste in my mouth--especially that nine minute drive. An individual play like the Bledsoe fumble or the missed field goal might be a fluke; and in any case we've replaced Bledsoe. But there is no excuse for allowing a nine minute drive to a third string RB, a second-string QB, and a team which has nothing to gain from a win. Had we beaten the Steelers--as we should have--those other late-season victories would seem a lot sweeter.