I've been in the hospital all week...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike, I have two positives for you:

1. You haven't missed any Bills games while you've been in there. Whew!

2. You can finally get those sponge baths that you've been bugging your wife for. C'mon, she's a nurse. You know you've been pestering her for a sponge bath for years, and she won't do it. Now she will. Fantasy completed!

Good luck, Mike. At least you're not a Browns fan (we have that same dynamic in my house - husband = Bills fan; wife = Browns fan).

Get well soon buddy.

What doesnt kill you makes you stronger. Bills fans know what adversity feels like. So my guess is that this experience will probably make you a stonger individual. Ive been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes seven years ago, a disease that needs constant attention, and been doing great since! Just be patient and be appreciative of the great support you have from your wife and everything will probably work out fine

Marc in Montréal

Hey Mike,

Are you going to be going in for a scope?

Here's the thing. About a year and a half ago I started getting tons of problems down there. Inflammation, dirrahea, abcessess the whole nine yards. My gastro doc said "it's looking like Chron's." I was scared. I have a friend that has it that just had six feet of her small intestine removed, she's 23.So I had a sigmoid done and they didn't see any issues. Then about six months late they did the full colonoscopy and still didn't find anything. Come to find out it's an extreme case of IBS and I just have to be careful with what I eat. I still get trouble here and there but with regulation I'm OK.

Bottom (tee hee) line, get the scopes so they are sure. Good luck guy, I'll be thinking of you.

An update:

I am supposed to start some drug therapy this evening. I know I'm supposed to start getting Flagyl and Pentasa, along with one other drug that I can't remember the name of right now.

I am still in the hospital (nine days as of Monday night). I do not know when I will be getting released. It largely depends on whether the drug therapy works.

Thank you for all your prayers and consideration.

Mike

An update:

I am supposed to start some drug therapy this evening.  I know I'm supposed to start getting Flagyl and Pentasa, along with one other drug that I can't remember the name of right now.

I am still in the hospital (nine days as of Monday night).  I do not know when I will be getting released.  It largely depends on whether the drug therapy works.

Thank you for all your prayers and consideration.

Mike

282666[/snapback]

Just make sure you listen to the nurses, especially your wife. Keep the laptop charged up so you can visit from time to time and most importantly, concentrate on getting well.

Hurry back, Mike.

Be sure to pick up a copy of "The Pill Book", 11th edition, by Harold M. Silverman, Pharm. D.

It is an invaluable reference of prescription drugs, precautions, drug interactions, food interactions, etc. The paperback edition is about 9 bucks.

An update:

I'm still here, and I had a little setback today.

I had no energy, and I felt so full I couldn't even eat lunch or dinner. I took a long nap this afternoon, and felt better. The "blended vegetable soup" here looks like red gravy. I couldn't even touch it.

I've realized a few things since I've been in the hospital for the past 11 days:

1) Outdoor weather still affects me.

2) Work doesn't stop, but at least I've been able to return calls and have other people cover court hearings.

3) "Gastineau Girls" really sucks.

I hope to be out sometime Easter weekend...maybe even Friday.

Mike

An update:

I had no energy, and I felt so full I couldn't even eat lunch or dinner.  I took a long nap this afternoon, and felt better.  The "blended vegetable soup" here looks like red gravy.  I couldn't even touch it.

I've realized a few things since I've been in the hospital for the past 11 days:

1)  Outdoor weather still affects me.

2)  Work doesn't stop, but at least I've been able to return calls and have other people cover court hearings.

3)  "Gastineau Girls" really sucks.

Mike

285257[/snapback]

get better soon man...

i'm sure we can arrange to bring the TH circle jerk/pity party to the hospital and give you some company if you wish... :huh:

An update:

I had no energy, and I felt so full I couldn't even eat lunch or dinner.  I took a long nap this afternoon, and felt better.  The "blended vegetable soup" here looks like red gravy.  I couldn't even touch it.

1)  Outdoor weather still affects me.

2)  Work doesn't stop, but at least I've been able to return calls and have other people cover court hearings.

3)  "Gastineau Girls" really sucks.

Mike

285257[/snapback]

Hang in there Murph. Keep that fighting Irish spirit going. :huh:

Gods speed

The nature of the problem (as my wife assures me) is that it sets you up for optimism ("I'm getting better!) only to kick you in the chops (a set-back). But overall, the course is upward, and with reasonable precautions, a full life can be led. And, don't forget those coconut maccaroons. They really work, and don't taste bad either. Best wishes. Get well soon!

It's 4:30 on Friday afternoon, and I should be out of the hospital this evening after 13 days. I asked for chicken fried rice and won ton soup from my favorite local Chinese restaurant upon my return. Don't worry, I've been eating since yesterday without complications.

I've lost about 15 pounds since I've been here. I haven't weighed my current weight (186 pounds) in over six years.

I am able to eat small solid portions (the fish and pierogies were actually pretty good at lunch today). But, I AM BORED OUT OF MY MIND HERE!!

I'll talk to you all later when I'm more recovered. Thanks for all your prayers and your kind thoughts during my stay.

Mike

It's 4:30 on Friday afternoon, and I should be out of the hospital this evening after 13 days.  I asked for chicken fried rice and won ton soup from my favorite local Chinese restaurant upon my return.  Don't worry, I've been eating since yesterday without complications.

I've lost about 15 pounds since I've been here.  I haven't weighed my current weight (186 pounds) in over six years.

I am able to eat small solid portions (the fish and pierogies were actually pretty good at lunch today).  But, I AM BORED OUT OF MY MIND HERE!!

I'll talk to you all later when I'm more recovered.  Thanks for all your prayers and your kind thoughts during my stay.

Mike

287804[/snapback]

Good news. Keep a bunch of bottles of water in the fridge, and keep some hard candies of choice around, if that's allowed. And some sort of crackers or munchies that go with the diet requirements.

Geeze, that was a long stay, wasn't it!