JAGS-BILLS

Astrobot

I did this before last year's blowout.

Here we go again.

1. Opening Day Home Game for the Bills.

2. Hurricane Frances distraction--Power outages, downed trees, leaking roofs and closed roads were the order of the day in Jacksonville. Del Rio had to cancel Monday's practice due to lingering storms.

3. Jags were 5-11 last year.

4. They’re not a quick starting team: 1-7 start last year. Jags will remember last year’s pounding by the Bills.

5. Jags look awful in the passing game. The first unit couldn’t score on the Pat’s 2nd team in preseason. Leftwitch’s “big windup” takes too much time. Leftwich struggled through a touchdown-less preseason. Byron doesn’t look comfortable against the blitz. Watch for blitzes from everywhere on Sunday.

6. This is still a young football team. Three rookies will start. Linebacker Daryl Smith will have his hands full.

7. Fifth-round pick Josh Scobee will be the kicker.

8. We get Reggie Williams in his first NFL game—too much for RW. WR Jermaine Lewis (also the intended kick returner) suffered an ankle sprain in preseason. Jimmy Smith is 36—and the drug issues will take their toll this year.

9. Injury list includes TE Kyle Brady (finger) and TE George Wrighster (foot), and might even include Fred Taylor (foot).

10. Lack of depth at defensive tackle—Willie Blade will be there (too new) and Hugh Douglas won’t be at RDE, and LDE Tony Brackens is waived. Those two positions have now been turned over to a group that has a combined 16 starts at the position. LB-DE Cordova, picked in RD#3 in the draft and the starting hand-on-the-ground pass-rusher from the defensive end position. Basically, the Jags don’t have a 3rd Down outside pass rusher.

11. It would be even more of a field day up the middle if DelRio does what he’s been talking about: Paul Spicer and Rob Meier go to DT, and Marcus Stroud and John Henderson go to DE.

12. Redmond, a special teams coverage star, was waived.

13. RB position is dinged up badly. Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala (foot), they just signed stop-gap RB Moreau, but who may have to play if Taylor’s not 100%. All three running backs suffered ankle sprains in preseason.

14. The Jags can be beat deep. Their CB’s are questionable. Washington lacks speed. Mathis will need some help with Moulds. Lee Evans, come in please.

15. Jags’ punter. Remember Axe Accident? He’s back. Sorta.

Thanks for the scouting on the Jags! 

What "Axe Accident"?    :o

21089[/snapback]

Del Rio's best motivational tool was placing a tree stump and axe in the locker room. Players could take a whack or two. Keep chopping wood don't you know. Problem is the poor punter had too much time on his hands. One day while the football players were practicing he took a whack. Unfortunately he missed the stump and hit his leg. :rolleyes: Damn, I hate it when that happens.

Good recap of Jags. Leftwitch also has a sore thumb I believe.

Del Rio's best motivational tool was placing a tree stump and axe in the locker room. Players could take a whack or two. Keep chopping wood don't you know. Problem is the poor punter had too much time on his hands. One day while the football players were practicing he took a whack. Unfortunately he missed the stump and hit his leg.  Damn, I hate it when that happens.

It's really good advice for Mike Mularkey, too.

"Hey Mike--Don't bring axes into the locker room."

"Thanks, Astrobot. I was thinking of doing that, but now I won't."

Re: Jaguar Summer program on NFL Network.......Anyone ever watch how the "real" players hack on the kickers, especially during meal time when they see the kickers at the buffet? The looks of embarrassment on their faces at knowing this is all being caught on tape is priceless.....I almost feel bad for them.......not really :rolleyes:

As much as I'd like to see the Bills focus more on a run-heavy offense this year, passing against the Jags piss-poor secondary might not be that bad of an idea. Check out who their starters are...Rashean Mathis and Dewayne "Chris Watson, Version 2.0" Washington. Not to mention they have Kiwaukee Thomas on Lee Evans in the slot. I think Evans has a huge debut game, and the Bills might want to think about tossing it up against this very weak group of players.

As much as I'd like to see the Bills focus more on a run-heavy offense this year, passing against the Jags piss-poor secondary might not be that bad of an idea.  Check out who their starters are...Rashean Mathis and Dewayne "Chris Watson, Version 2.0" Washington.  Not to mention they have Kiwaukee Thomas on Lee Evans in the slot.  I think Evans has a huge debut game, and the Bills might want to think about tossing it up against this very weak group of players.

21124[/snapback]

Balance is probably the key. Regardless of their secondary, they'll be less effective if they get a steady dose of T.Hen and W.Mac.

We won't see much 4-wide against the Jags, though. We can't afford to have nobody in the backfield to protect the 4 second statue. We might see lots of Moulds-Reed-Evans, with TH-WM in the backfield, as they have some weaknesses in the 15-25 yard range--especially if TH-WM has been having luck up the middle. They'll be cheating up front like Sally in my Biology class.

Here we go again......

LB-DE Cordova, picked in RD#3 in the draft and the starting hand-on-the-ground pass-rusher from the defensive end position.

21081[/snapback]

Cordova's on IR with an ACL tear. Saw it on 'Jaguars Summer'.

Great post. Thanks!

Here we go again.

1. Opening Day Home Game for the Bills.

2. Hurricane Frances distraction--Power outages, downed trees, leaking roofs and closed roads were the order of the day in Jacksonville. Del Rio had to cancel Monday's practice due to lingering storms.

3. Jags were 5-11 last year.

4. They’re not a quick starting team: 1-7 start last year. Jags will remember last year’s pounding by the Bills.

5. Jags look awful in the passing game. The first unit couldn’t score on the Pat’s 2nd team in preseason. Leftwitch’s “big windup” takes too much time. Leftwich struggled through a touchdown-less preseason. Byron doesn’t look comfortable against the blitz. Watch for blitzes from everywhere on Sunday.

6. This is still a young football team. Three rookies will start. Linebacker Daryl Smith will have his hands full.

7. Fifth-round pick Josh Scobee will be the kicker.

8. We get Reggie Williams in his first NFL game—too much for RW. WR Jermaine Lewis (also the intended kick returner) suffered an ankle sprain in preseason. Jimmy Smith is 36—and the drug issues will take their toll this year.

9. Injury list includes TE Kyle Brady (finger) and TE George Wrighster (foot), and might even include Fred Taylor (foot).

10. Lack of depth at defensive tackle—Willie Blade will be there (too new) and Hugh Douglas won’t be at RDE, and LDE Tony Brackens is waived. Those two positions have now been turned over to a group that has a combined 16 starts at the position. LB-DE Cordova, picked in RD#3 in the draft and the starting hand-on-the-ground pass-rusher from the defensive end position. Basically, the Jags don’t have a 3rd Down outside pass rusher.

11. It would be even more of a field day up the middle if DelRio does what he’s been talking about: Paul Spicer and Rob Meier go to DT, and Marcus Stroud and John Henderson go to DE.

12. Redmond, a special teams coverage star, was waived.

13. RB position is dinged up badly. Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala (foot), they just signed stop-gap RB Moreau, but who may have to play if Taylor’s not 100%. All three running backs suffered ankle sprains in preseason.

14. The Jags can be beat deep. Their CB’s are questionable. Washington lacks speed.  Mathis will need some help with Moulds.  Lee Evans, come in please.

15. Jags’ punter. Remember Axe Accident? He’s back. Sorta.

21081[/snapback]

I like this logic, and I think from a betting perspective the Bills are a good bet (-3).....however, penalties and turnovers could be an issue for these Bills.

Great job Astrobot. Will you have a scouting report on the Raiders too?

Something else I heard is that LB/DE Cordova was placed on IR for them. LB Humphrey was put on the IR too.

Fred Taylor is expected to play.

Leftwhich has had an injured throwing hand during the preseason which is partly why he has played poorly. We will see how much it will affect him opening day.

I have heard that Jimmy Smith finished well last season and looks good so far this season even if he is 35 or 36 years old

The Projected starting DE's and Linebackers last season had less NFL sacks combined than Ryan Denney's 3.5 sacks last season

Why would Stroud and Henderson play DE at all, let alone against us? Pass rushing from the edge is a whole lot different than pass rushing up the middle. Their speed, while impressive for a couple of big DT's, should easily be neutralized on the ends. Plus, the strength of our OL is at the T positions. Might as well attack our weak interior if you're an opposing defensive coordinator.

The rest of the Jaguars D, aside from Stroud and Henderson, is a joke. I've got the sick feeling in my stomach, however, that Bledsoe and our OL of misfits are going to !@#$ this one up like they've done for the past season and a half.

Del Rio's best motivational tool was placing a tree stump and axe in the locker room.  Players could take a whack or two.  Keep chopping wood don't you know.  Problem is the poor punter had too much time on his hands.  One day while the football players were practicing he took a whack.  Unfortunately he missed the stump and hit his leg. :rolleyes:  Damn, I hate it when that happens.

Good recap of Jags.  Leftwitch also has a sore thumb I believe.

21093[/snapback]

:o what a dumb ass I had forgotten all about that :w00t:

we will win, cus our D will hold them to at most 10 points. and they have no DEs, so bledsoe should be able to stand back there and throw all day long. and i dont think there run D, is any good eather. so i see a big game for us.

i just hope they dont get to overconfident after the win, when they play the raiders. they look alot better than last years team.