What do we draft with a top 5 pick next year ?

Gilmore started here for 5 years. Plenty of time to make an assessment of him. Pro bowls mean nothing, it’s mainly popularity. Playing in New England will get you noticed. Of those dbs you mentioned, I was most disappointed about Winfield. I felt he should have been resigned. I think Bradham was a LB ? Regardless , the Bills schizophrenic defensive schemes after multiple coaching changes dictated that some players would not be scheme fits. Say if Schwarz had been promoted to HC. Bradham was a good fit in that defense, not so much in Rex’s 3-4. If you’ve watched the NFL for any appreciable length of time, you’ll notice that no team keeps all it’s drafted players. Even good ones. That’s a result of the salary cap. While it’s true that the Bills had a philosophy regarding CBs for awhile, I don’t think the ideas of past GMs or Ralph Wilson’s bean counters have any effect on the team today. It was clear fo Romany years that they would draft a cornerback high every 4 years or so to have a talented , inexpensive player at that spot for awhile. CB salaries were going up, and they definitely had a dollar value placed on the position. It is now one of the top 3 or 4 positions by NFL salary rank, so this may still be a sound financial strategy for teams. Very few CBs are truly elite , and a Gilmore is not one of them. However , the FA system ensured he would likely get overpaid. In the end, you can’t pay everybody. Ralph Wilson is long gone, and so are his Detroit money men. Pegula is more than willing to pay out big bonuses etc. you can breathe easy as a Bills fan. As for the Whaley thing, that scenario you painted doesn’t seem likely. It wasn’t a snap decision. It was a smart one, though. He was in place and his team was compiling scouting reports. It was too late to change before that critical task was done. Once it was, there was plenty of time to implement a changeover. Marrone and Whaley famously butted heads, but Pegula wanted to extend Marrone. It was a rare opportunity to double dip on salary for DM after Ralph’s death, so he exercised the option in order to collect two HC salaries . Remember , he was reported to be the top choice for the NY Jets. He ended up bombing the interview. 

Edited by Boatdrinks