HBO's Limited Series "Sharp Objects"

Fadingpain

I saw the commercials for Succession and was hoping it would be good.

I then watched the first 10 minutes of episode 1 and pulled the plug.  Didn't do it for me.

Have been watching Season 1 of "Bored to Death" on HBO this week.  1/2 hour episodes but a pretty fun, well written, light TV show. Ten Danson is good in it. 

Ok where are we at on this thing now?  I saw the last episode and seriously nothing happened.  You get snippets of back story here and there but by and large the lack of anything is making me lose interest.  I wasn't terribly interested to begin with and now that Preacher is getting good and Better Call Saul is back on, plus that new one the Lodge looks pretty good i may stop watching all together.   

3 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

Ok where are we at on this thing now?  I saw the last episode and seriously nothing happened.  You get snippets of back story here and there but by and large the lack of anything is making me lose interest.  I wasn't terribly interested to begin with and now that Preacher is getting good and Better Call Saul is back on, plus that new one the Lodge looks pretty good i may stop watching all together.   

There are only a few episodes left.  It isn't an ongoing series, but just a miniseries.  It has 8 episodes in total. 

I thought the last episode was lame too.  

12 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

There are only a few episodes left.  It isn't an ongoing series, but just a miniseries.  It has 8 episodes in total. 

I thought the last episode was lame too.  

They can wrap it up any time now.   I still think the dad did it.   But I'm guessing there is some kind of crazy turn at the end.   

Does it feel a little bit like HBO saw Three Billboards outside Ebbing Missouri and decided "hey we can make a different version of that and add some side stories to it"? 

The story has really chosen to focus on character development and relationships rather than a riveting crime solving plot.  It suffers for it!  

In that last episode, you were supposed to have been wowed by investigator Richard Willis and Camille having hardcore sex and further developing their relationship in that manner; also the little half sister Amma sees and learns of Camille's cutting/scars for the first time.  The father of the killed kid goes after John (I think it is) at the festival accusing him of being the murderer, showing us he is having trouble dealing with his grief and probably is not the murderer himself, despite some initial suspicion.

So stuff is happening, but the problem is none of it is very compelling.  A lot of the characters are not sympathetic or interesting and so we don't really care what happens to them.  The melancholy flavor to the whole show, all the time, can also be tough to swallow...and the entire relationship between Camille and her mother is not believable.

Camille is supposed to be this tough, hardened chick--a survivor--who had the gumption to get out of her small home town and interact with the world at large.  No way would she stay at her mom's house and let her mom dick her around as she does, time and time again.  No way!   Camille would have told her mom off on Day 1 and gone to a hotel.  

On top of this, Adora, the mom, is just not a likable character but she gets tons of dialogue and on-screen time.

The story is based on a novel by Gillian Flynn; I haven't read that but I hope it was better than the series so far.  I don't know if the book itself was this boring or if it was just very poorly adapted for the screen.

As it is, I will stick it out for a few more episodes and see what happens...if anything actually does happen! 

• Like (+1) 1

That's a pretty summary of the whole deal.    Sometimes I forget this thing has two murders going on no one seems to care that there is still a murderer running around.  

Just had a thought.  The girl who was murdered, her brothers GF could be a serious suspect.   She's crazy, she flipped none of her info was in the lastest article.  She was bleaching something under her bed in the episode last.  Seems like the kind of jealous little psyho that could kill her friends for liking her BF and then kill his sister out of jealousy too.  

15 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

The story has really chosen to focus on character development and relationships rather than a riveting crime solving plot.  It suffers for it!  

In that last episode, you were supposed to have been wowed by investigator Richard Willis and Camille having hardcore sex and further developing their relationship in that manner; also the little half sister Amma sees and learns of Camille's cutting/scars for the first time.  The father of the killed kid goes after John (I think it is) at the festival accusing him of being the murderer, showing us he is having trouble dealing with his grief and probably is not the murderer himself, despite some initial suspicion.

So stuff is happening, but the problem is none of it is very compelling.  A lot of the characters are not sympathetic or interesting and so we don't really care what happens to them.  The melancholy flavor to the whole show, all the time, can also be tough to swallow...and the entire relationship between Camille and her mother is not believable.

Camille is supposed to be this tough, hardened chick--a survivor--who had the gumption to get out of her small home town and interact with the world at large.  No way would she stay at her mom's house and let her mom dick her around as she does, time and time again.  No way!   Camille would have told her mom off on Day 1 and gone to a hotel.  

On top of this, Adora, the mom, is just not a likable character but she gets tons of dialogue and on-screen time.

The story is based on a novel by Gillian Flynn; I haven't read that but I hope it was better than the series so far.  I don't know if the book itself was this boring or if it was just very poorly adapted for the screen.

As it is, I will stick it out for a few more episodes and see what happens...if anything actually does happen! 

Wait, what?  Amy Adams in hardcore sex?  I may have to rethink my decision to ditch this series

1 hour ago, Soda Popinski said:

That's a pretty summary of the whole deal.    Sometimes I forget this thing has two murders going on no one seems to care that there is still a murderer running around.  

Just had a thought.  The girl who was murdered, her brothers GF could be a serious suspect.   She's crazy, she flipped none of her info was in the lastest article.  She was bleaching something under her bed in the episode last.  Seems like the kind of jealous little psyho that could kill her friends for liking her BF and then kill his sister out of jealousy too.  

Interesting theory; could easily pan out! 

Remember that reference to the "lady in white" or something like that?  Like part of the local folklore about sightings of someone in the woods or whatever?  We initially saw lots of characters saying "no way this was a woman" but since we have since some things to make me wonder.  

Maybe the crazy assed girlfriend is the lady in white.  

20 minutes ago, bbb said:

Thanks for saving me time!

It was absolutely lame, and to top it off, Amy Adams is a "cutter" whose body has zillions of words scarred all over it.  It's kind of gross when they show her with a shirt off (wearing a bra).

She's deliberately engaged in sex acts twice now with this detective dude with her clothes on, because she doesn't want him to see all the word scars and get the creeps.   

PS:  If you want to see lots of good sex/nudity scenes in an HBO TV show, watch the early seasons of Game of Thrones, if you haven't already.  Great stuff; there are many female characters almost all of whom are hot in various ways.

Edited by Fadingpain
  • Like (+1) 1

On August 13, 2018 at 8:20 AM, Soda Popinski said:

Two episodes left I think.   Really thinking it is the girl with the bite taken out of her ear, would make sense to remove the teeth.   Definitely an attention seeker 

Could be, but then the show has tried her to point a finger at her as sort of a shady character with some flaws.

Yes, 2 to go.  Thank goodness!  I will see it through to the end, but I really haven't enjoyed it and it has dragged on with such a slow pace.  Could have been reduced to 4 or 5 instead of 8 episodes.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Could be, but then the show has tried her to point a finger at her as sort of a shady character with some flaws.

Yes, 2 to go.  Thank goodness!  I will see it through to the end, but I really haven't enjoyed it and it has dragged on with such a slow pace.  Could have been reduced to 4 or 5 instead of 8 episodes.

agreed 100% This didn't have to go on as long as it did.  Alcohol and self abuse, we got it pretty much on the first episode.  But they are just hammering it home.

Soda Popinski, where are you?!

Did you see the new episode last night!?  By far the best one to date with lots happening and finally some interesting plot twists.

I won't say more until you and others have had a chance to see the new episode.

Only 1 left to go.

18 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Soda Popinski, where are you?!

Did you see the new episode last night!?  By far the best one to date with lots happening and finally some interesting plot twists.

I won't say more until you and others have had a chance to see the new episode.

Only 1 left to go.

Just watched it last night, sunday I we were watching something else, but I always DVR.   

Ok so I guess now we know part of the story but I don't think that's the end all be all of it.   Anti-Climatic really.   And some of the scenes in this show....just....drag....on....FOREVER

10 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

Just watched it last night, sunday I we were watching something else, but I always DVR.   

Ok so I guess now we know part of the story but I don't think that's the end all be all of it.   Anti-Climatic really.   And some of the scenes in this show....just....drag....on....FOREVER

I thought it was pretty good to be honest.  Yes, I don't think the mom or her husband have anything to do with the murder of the 2 girls in town.  They don't have the stomach for that.  

I'm liking your theory about Ashley being the murderer more and more all the time.  Or at least somehow related.

I also have the little sister, Amma near the top of the suspect list!  

I'm curious about the blood found under the bed at Ashley and John Keene's house.  It's supposed to be linking John to the murders, but we pretty much know he is not the murderer.  So how did it get there?  Maybe it's not his or the murder victim's blood after all, maybe it was planted, maybe it is there via some innocent explanation.

The good news we only have 1 to go and I assume they will finally reveal who did it.

Although it occurred to me the other day that they don't necessarily have to!  Just end the show without ever finding a murderer...the show has been so frustrating I wouldn't put that past them!

7 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

If Ashley planted blood there to frame her boyfriend it makes sense she killed one of the girls, and her motives are pretty plain, she just wants to be on TV.   

It could go that way, but she's kind of a stupid person.  I don't think she could have done 1 or both murders and gotten away with it for this long.  Then again, the quality of the police work in town is not that great.

• Like (+1) 1