Love Reading the WNY Papers Online

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, it's not too sad, IMO. It's going to take a massive economic meltdown to ruin the Democratic patronage system in WNY. The sooner that happens, the sooner that the area can get on the road to recovery.

The NYS Smoking Ban strikes again AD!!!

The place had "great food," was next to a community college and STILL went under!!!! What a surprise! ;)

But hey, nobody, including the employees will be "forced" to go home smelling like smoke. ;)

The place had "great food," was next to a community college and STILL went under!!!! What a surprise!  ;)

But hey, nobody, including the employees will be "forced" to go home smelling like smoke.  ;)

276722[/snapback]

Most community colleges don't have people living on campus so all those students would be gone from that area when it was time to go drinking.

Most community colleges don't have people living on campus so all those students would be gone from that area when it was time to go drinking.

276926[/snapback]

Good point. Students at community colleges rarely go to bars. Neither do professors, secretaries, maintenance employees, etc.

Maybe the ban actually served to keep the place in business LONGER!

Actually, it's not too sad, IMO. It's going to take a massive economic meltdown to ruin the Democratic patronage system in WNY. The sooner that happens, the sooner that the area can get on the road to recovery.

276714[/snapback]

Actually, County Executive Joel Giambra, by far the runaway leader of patronage positions doled out, is a republican.

Actually, County Executive Joel Giambra, by far the runaway leader of patronage positions doled out, is a republican.

277047[/snapback]

Well considering he's One Republican in a long line of Democrat Executives, I'd say it's fair to say that he didn't invent the practice, not by a long shot.

How the media thievery going?

The place had "great food," was next to a community college and STILL went under!!!! What a surprise!  ;)

But hey, nobody, including the employees will be "forced" to go home smelling like smoke.  ;)

276722[/snapback]

Couldn't have been the crappy service and already oversaturated restaurant market in Henrietta that helped lead to this. ;)

Well considering he's One Republican in a long line of Democrat Executives, I'd say it's fair to say that he didn't invent the practice, not by a long shot.

277075[/snapback]

That may be so, but Republican Joel Giambra is the biggest inventor of patronage jobs in this current local government. He deserves most of the blame for the patronage problem in the current system.

Couldn't have been the crappy service and already oversaturated restaurant market in Henrietta that helped lead to this.  ;)

277080[/snapback]

Maybe it was. Bars are closing all over NYC and Long Island too. It must be the service and oversaturation.

I guess this explains why so many bar owners supported the ban.

Maybe it was. Bars are closing all over NYC and Long Island too. It must be the service and oversaturation.

I guess this explains why so many bar owners supported the ban.

277111[/snapback]

My only point is you can't scream SMOKING BAN everytime a bar closes. You have no idea what lead to it.

My only point is you can't scream SMOKING BAN everytime a bar closes. You have no idea what lead to it.

277119[/snapback]

Point taken. In Suffolk County, LI, long established bars are closing. From what I hear, there are a few that disregard the ban in order to survive, but they charge between 4 and 5 dollars per beer to allow for the fines.

In order to avoid fines for "Ashtray Possession." they distribute small plastic cups of water. The whole thing is an exercise in stupidity, and hypocrisy.

Sorry, I just will never believe that this was what men such as Thomas Jefferson envisioned.

And your post concerning Rochester would have what to do with what? While you're at it why don't you mention Jillians in High Falls closing for all that has to do with anything. Restaurants and clubs change and turnover all the time. When you come back to Brighton you'll probably discover that they used all the suds from the beer and turned the place into a car wash.

Meanwhile back in Erie county;

This supposed "tax payer revolt", a term continuously propagated by the local radio outlet WBEN, WGRZ Two on your side television, as well as the daily Buffalo News sounds great from a distance (and it seems many of you that post here live a diistance from Erie County) but there will be reprecussions.

I came across this Niagara Falls paper on this Two Bills Drive site the other day as a matter of fact but can't seem to find a copy in Buffalo. Fortunately they are on-line.

http://www.niagarafallsreporter.com/croisdale183.html

And your post concerning Rochester would have what to do with what? While you're at it why don't you mention Jillians in High Falls closing for all that has to do with anything. Restaurants and clubs change and turnover all the time. When you come back to Brighton you'll probably discover that they used all the suds from the beer and turned the place into a car wash.

Meanwhile back in Erie county;

This supposed "tax payer revolt", a term continuously propagated by the local radio outlet WBEN, WGRZ Two on your side  television, as well as the daily Buffalo News sounds great from a distance (and it seems many of you that post here live a diistance from Erie County) but there will be reprecussions.

I came across this Niagara Falls paper on this Two Bills Drive site the other day as a matter of fact but can't seem to find a copy in Buffalo. Fortunately they are on-line.

http://www.niagarafallsreporter.com/croisdale183.html

277447[/snapback]

I don't know anything about Jillian's in High Falls. I don't know anything about the quality of the product at the bar that went under. I do know that WNY completely missed the economic boom of the 1990s (though the local/state government/s did collect record receipts and add programs at a record pace) and the fall has been even tougher than it has for most of the rest of the nation.

Yep, one day the "taxing their way to prosperity" plan will actually work. You be sure to let me know when more government is better than less.

It perfectly embodies the type of thinking that resulted in the current crisis. Bad WNYers, BAD! You wouldn't pay a penny more, so you're throwing all these good people out on the streets, which will now be devoid of any law, and predators will hunt your children without fear.

What garbage.

It perfectly embodies the type of thinking that resulted in the current crisis. Bad WNYers, BAD! You wouldn't pay a penny more, so you're throwing all these good people out on the streets, which will now be devoid of any law, and predators will hunt your children without fear.

What garbage.

277578[/snapback]

I agree that the author might be a tad overboard but many of the changes are not going to be easy, especially come budget time next year where even a greater shortfall is predicted.

There's going to be a number of upset people here gradually down the road when basic services they took for granted will be nixed. The area is already seeing it with the auto bureau flare-ups.

The area is already seeing it with the auto bureau flare-ups.

277599[/snapback]

Of course. That's how the bureaucrats do it. Rather than cut fat, graft, inefficiency, waste, or (heaven forbid) their own staffs, they cut services the people actually need. That ensures they'll get the additional monies required.

Hook, line, and sinker.

I was bummed when I read that the brew pub had closed. They had a good selection of beer and good food, including something that I couldn't believe that I hadn't thought of before.....salt and vinegar french fries. Mmmm.

If I was forced to guess why they closed I would think that it may have been the rent. IMO, the place had more space than they really needed.

Henrietta does have an oversaturated restaurant market and the community college near this particular pub does have dorms, but obviously doesn't have as many on-campus students as a "full service" college.