SI article predicts a 2-14 record

On 6/7/2018 at 3:15 PM, dollars 2 donuts said:

I would be very surprised if this team is worse than 6-10.

Don't get me wrong, I hope they will do better.  That said, I just don't get any of these guys who figure this team for just 2-3 wins.  

How do they get to, "this is one of THE worst teams in football"?

I'm usually on the "glass half empty" side when I'm making predictions for my teams, and even I think this guy is a freaking moron.

I'm on record in a couple other threads thinking we are a 6-7 win team, which could be 4-5 with some big injuries/bad breaks, and 8-9 with some good breaks/beating the odds.

Vegas has us at 6.5 wins, and they are usually fairly accurate with predictions, and they have us at between 6-10 and 7-9.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are worse than 6-10, but like I said, that's like 4-5 wins with some bad breaks, so I don't think you are too far off.

We surpassed expectations last year with some good breaks overall, catching other teams at the right time (atlanta with jones out, KC mid slide, etc) and it's pretty rare for a team to exceed their expected pythagorean wins by more than 2 games multiple seasons in a row.

14 hours ago, The Red King said:

Utterly absurd.

The Bills went 9-7 last year with a new head coach.  They went 9-7 thanks to the strong play of their defense.  They leaned hard on the D and prayed the O put up enough points to win.  That defense has a year under their belt in this system and personnel changes have only made the unit stronger.  The crutch the team leaned on is all the stronger, yet we're somehow going to drop from 9 wins to 2?  Defense alone will win us at least four games this season, if not more.

I know the offense has people nervous and doubting, but let's be honest, the offense wasn't our strong suit anyway last season.

The bills went 9-7 thanks to a strong defense and an offense/qb that didn't turn the ball over much.

They didn't just pray their O would put up enough points, they relied on them to not throw INT's, which is tyrod's wheelhouse.

The crutch the team leaned on might not be that much stronger, EJ gaines was a big piece we lost, and replacing him with Vontae is risky, as we are hoping Davis can return to form after a really down season last year coming off a big injury.

I'm hoping the defense is as good or better, and I actually think it will be, but it's not as much of a slam dunk as people are making it out to be.

Last year's offense, as I said, was about "not turning it over"

We are handing the wheel to AJ McCarron (completely unproven backup), Nathan Peterman (yep...that Nathan Peterman), or a rookie in Josh Allen.

Who knows? One of them might be the messiah under center, but in all reality we are probably looking at a season with more turnovers from the offense, which puts more pressure on the defense.

Dropping to 2 wins is completely absurd, I agree with you, the article from the OP is pretty idiotic, but I do expect to see a regression to the mean, which would be 6 or 7 wins.

I'm also happy with the roster going forward after this year, I'm very willing to accept a bit of a regression this year between all the new moving parts on defense and offense, the time it takes for our new rookie QB to transition to the NFL and develop, and the integration of a new OC to the NFL who is transitioning up from college as well.

A 6-10 season would be okay by me, with expectations of 8 or 9 + wins the following year, and 10+ after that.

13 hours ago, benderbender said:

Why wouldn’t anyone predict a terrible year? We have a new starting QB, a new OC, a patchwork OL, and the bad news bears of receiving corps. Personally I like the direction of the team and the motivation of the coach. So I’m hopeful, but I don’t think it’s even a minor stretch for the media to not believe in the process like we do.

That's what I'm saying.

Anybody who doesn't predict 10+ wins and a SB seems to be shredded here for being a hater.

It's being realistic, and looking for the future.

• Like (+1) 1