Happiness is your choice (misery too!)

My finger is hovering over my laptop’s mouse, but I’m afraid to click. I’m about to take a survey offered by the University of Pennsylvania titled the “Authentic Happiness Inventory.” You can take this quiz too — it’s available for free online

Now try this: Make a short list of things that you think would make you happier. They can be big things (a raise, moving to a new city, a new partner) or small (whatever looks good right now in the vending machine).

Okay — have you finished your list? Let’s have a look. I have my red pen ready.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

Nearly everything you think will make you happier won’t, because nearly everything you’re likely to list — assuming, of course, that your basic life needs are taken care of — is some circumstantial change: more money, a different home or job, a long vacation, or even that enticing snack that lies just beyond the vending-machine glass. Your mind is constantly telling you that if you just got those things, you’d finally, truly, unequivocally be happy. But your mind is wrong and science is right.

Read This Story and Get Happier

My role here is to invite your mockery, but if you adopt a few of these habits, you will be happier for it, especially practicing gratitude. We are really all so lucky to be alive in this country (even you Canucks are lucky!).

Edited by BeginnersMind
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BeginnersMind said:

I’m about to take a survey offered by the University of Pennsylvania titled the “Authentic Happiness Inventory.”

If you feel a need to take such a survey then you already have your answer.