Two legislators ask Bills to forego payment

If the Erie County Government thought there was a "Tax Payer Revolt" over a one cent sales tax increase, they should wait and see what would happen if they cost us the Bills. There would be bodies in the streets and buildings burned to the ground.

275523[/snapback]

I made a similar suggestion a few weeks ago.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read that Giambra said he knew nothing about the letter and he was pretty upset about it:

http://www.bizjournals.com/industries/spor...ry7.html?page=1

If those clowns knew anything, they would know that New York State gave the Bills $98 million in 1998. The State gets most of that money back through taxes through 2013. I do not think even the idiots in NY State Government would let the Bills lease be voided and let the team leave over $3.8 million that Erie County owes and cost themselves $70+ million in cash.

Even more insane is that these two idiots don't seem to realize is that Erie County collects 4 cents in sales tax out of every dollars worth of Bills tickets and merchandise sold and also everything else that is sold that generates sales tax revenue by related industries. (Concessions, Tailgate Beer, Food, Out of town fans who rent Hotels and Transportation and so on). Let's see......let's save $3.8 million this year, lose the team and lose at least $5 million a year in sales tax revenue in the future. Absolutley Brilliant.

OK, Debenedetti and Barry - two Erie County Legislators - went too far when they requested the BILLS to forego a $3.56 million payment the franchise needs for maintenance at county-owned Ralph Wilson Stadium. The payment is part of a long-term lease negotiated between the county and the Bills in 1998.

It's a ploy to make the Legislators look like anything but the ineffectual buffoons they are. If this had a chance of even happening it is way overdue. I mean where were these people in '98? Where was the legislature in the early seventies when they pretty much gave Ralph carte blanche to build his dream arena anywhere but the city?

Strange though what people will hold onto, what they will discard in times of crisis. Ralph Wilson has pretty much had Erie county by the sack going on close to fifty years now so why should today be any different.

I'm a Buffalo resident and season ticket holder who has attended games since 1971. I love going to the games but if it means Ralph gets to live his live long dream of moving the team to Peoria so be it. The money could be better spent elsewhere for things as trivial as quality of life concerns.

I still miss the Braves though.

My email:

Mr. DeBenedetti,

I am writing to express my outrage at your selfish and ignorant decision to ask the Buffalo Bills to forego a $3.56 million dollar payment for maintenance of Ralph Wilson Stadium. How dare you take it upon yourself to take such a foolish step?

According to news accounts, your thinking was that you were obligated to explore all possible ways to reduce the Courty's budget shortfall. Instead of attacking a time-honored Buffalo institution that gives so much back to the community, and one that is so much a part of the hearts of WNY'ers, you chose to flirt with the possibility of giving the Bills a perfect excuse to leave town. I find that to be the height of idiocy.

Why not look in other areas of the budget before taking such a foolish step? Have you considered looking at the bloated Erie County bureaucracy? Surely action in this area could yield much more savings than the paltry $3.68 million you are trying to recover from the Bills. According to Buffalo Business First, the Buffalo-Niagara area has a ratio of only 21.4 citizens to each public employee. By comparison, the Chicago area has a 189:1 ratio; Phoenix has a 191:1 ratio, Portland has a 138:1 ratio, Rochester has a 90:1 ratio, and San Diego has a 131:1 ratio. Do you see any opportunities for savings here?

Yes, there would certainly be economic consequences to cutting public sector jobs, but what is the economic impact of losing the Bills? According to the Greater Buffalo Partnership, Buffalo Bills Task Force, in 1996 the teams’ gross economic impact, reflecting total economic activity resulting from the Bills presence in the marketplace was estimated to be $111.5 million. The Bills employed 1,664 people, and total direct expenditures by fans were estimated to be $31.5 million. Beyond the mere economic impact, one cannot measure the psychological devastation WNY'ers would suffer by losing the Bills to another city. With this type of impact, doesn't the prospect of seeking to recover less than $4 million from the Bills seem extremely short sighted?

I am pleased to see that the Bills treated your letter with the response it deserved and redirected it to Mr.Giambra. Quit playing with fire, leave the Bills alone and and start doing the work of the people by reforming Erie County government.

Sincerely,

TheBillnut

My email:

Mr. DeBenedetti,

I am writing to express my outrage at your selfish and ignorant decision to ask the Buffalo Bills to forego a $3.56 million dollar payment for maintenance of Ralph Wilson Stadium.  How dare you take it upon yourself to take such a foolish step?

According to news accounts, your thinking was that you were obligated to explore all possible ways to reduce the Courty's budget shortfall.  Instead of attacking a time-honored Buffalo institution that gives so much back to the community, and one that is so much a part of the hearts of WNY'ers, you chose to flirt with the possibility of giving the Bills a perfect excuse to leave town.  I find that to be the height of idiocy.

Why not look in other areas of the budget before taking such a foolish step?  Have you considered looking at the bloated Erie County bureaucracy?  Surely action in this area could yield much more savings than the paltry $3.68 million you are trying to recover from the Bills.  According to Buffalo Business First, the Buffalo-Niagara area has a ratio of only 21.4 citizens to each public employee.  By comparison, the Chicago area has a 189:1 ratio; Phoenix has a 191:1 ratio, Portland has a 138:1 ratio, Rochester has a 90:1 ratio, and San Diego has a 131:1 ratio.  Do you see any opportunities for savings here?

Yes, there would certainly be economic consequences to cutting public sector jobs, but what is the economic impact of losing the Bills?  According to the Greater Buffalo Partnership, Buffalo Bills Task Force, in 1996 the teams’ gross economic impact, reflecting total economic activity resulting from the Bills presence in the marketplace was estimated to be $111.5 million. The Bills employed 1,664 people, and total direct expenditures by fans were estimated to be $31.5 million.  Beyond the mere economic impact, one cannot measure the psychological devastation WNY'ers would suffer by losing the Bills to another city.  With this type of impact, doesn't the prospect of seeking to recover less than $4 million from the Bills seem extremely short sighted?

I am pleased to see that the Bills treated your letter with the response it deserved and redirected it to Mr.Giambra.  Quit playing with fire, leave the Bills alone and and start doing the work of the people by reforming Erie County government.

Sincerely,

TheBillnut

276160[/snapback]

Well put!!! f''n legislatures!!!!! i cannot in my lifetime believe that there has not been more public pressure on all of these ( | ) wipes to resign!!!! Time to bring out the shotguns and storm county hall!!!! LOL

my letter:

Gentlemen,

As if we have not had enough of your political gamesmanship, now you two have decided to co-author a letter to our beloved Buffalo Bills which just may violate terms of our NFL Lease. Congratulations, you have just added another blackeye on this area as now the rest of the country is reading about this, let alone other potential NFL cities!

Your $3 million dollar request doesn't compare to the Millions that the Bills generate or the publicity and community events that they generate! Wake up and resign as obviously your whole legislature has been asleep at the wheel for a long time. Good luck in your reelection bids! oh nevermind i'm sure the two of you have handpicked jobs awaiting the two of you!

M. Stark

Amherst, NY

home of high taxes