Sporting News Draft Guide is out

Surprise, surprise, 3 of our top 5 team needs are listed as offensive line (OT #1, G #4, C #5). Do you think we're gonna be picking a lineman up in the draft this year? Got us picking TE Alex Smith out of Stanford with our 2nd rounder. I'd like to see us get a first day pick for Travis and end up with this TE and 2 OL by the end of Saturday.

Surprise, surprise, 3 of our top 5 team needs are listed as offensive line (OT #1, G #4, C #5).  Do you think we're gonna be picking a lineman up in the draft this year?  Got us picking TE Alex Smith out of Stanford with our 2nd rounder.  I'd like to see us get a first day pick for Travis and end up with this TE and 2 OL by the end of Saturday.

273811[/snapback]

These certainly are team needs this year, but the draft is likely to be of marginal help at best for addressing the 2005 team needs.

Early first round drafted OL players do step right in to start and contribute to teams, but this number goeas way down quick as it seems to be the rare OL player who does not need a bit of schooling at the pro game before he is ready to contribute.

Even a talent such as Orlando Pace had a slow beginning and was a negative and a big problem for them the first half of his rookie season after his hold out and the half way point roughly found him finally being adequate because of his enormous size and talent.

JJ was a good draft pick for the Bills because this later pick actually was able to start in his rookie season later in the year, though as he never has started 16 games in a season in his career, started as few as 12 games year before last and got nucked often enough that even last season Price had to finish what he started that it seems quite unlikely the draft will help this team that much.

We seem to have other more critical immediate needs like TE after Ehus and Campbell both went down to injury that we are gonna go that way and the draft will probably be used to pick a project who can contribute next year or down the line rather than solve need problems. The remaining FAs, trade, cap casualties and most of all development of talent already on the roster seems a far more likely place to find OL help for this team than the draft which will help next year or the year after teams.

Surprise, surprise, 3 of our top 5 team needs are listed as offensive line (OT #1, G #4, C #5).  Do you think we're gonna be picking a lineman up in the draft this year?  Got us picking TE Alex Smith out of Stanford with our 2nd rounder.  I'd like to see us get a first day pick for Travis and end up with this TE and 2 OL by the end of Saturday.

273811[/snapback]

We need a CB from the 1st day of the draft...I don't think the Bills will be

able to afford Clements. Teams like Washington, Dallas or NY will throw

big time money at him.

able to afford Clements.  Teams like Washington, Dallas or NY will throw

big time money at him.

273874[/snapback]

You are correct, no doubt. This might even be a situation where we take corners in the 3rd and 4th, much like the draft in which we took Irvin and Kerner.

The Bills are in a position where they need corners even if they are able to keep Clements, which like you, I doubt.

Personally, I would like to see a draft of CBs and Offensive Limemen. Moats would be nice to back up WM as well.

able to afford Clements.  Teams like Washington, Dallas or NY will throw

big time money at him.

273874[/snapback]

why would the bills not be "able to afford" him? they have a healthy salary cap, only a few scheduled free agents next year, and no glaring needs.......

the bills may choose not to pay him what it would take to keep him around, or clements may choose to go elsewhere, but the bills can certainly afford to pay him......the bills have a healthier salary cap then all 3 teams you listed above........

able to afford Clements.   Teams like Washington, Dallas or NY will throw

big time money at him.

273874[/snapback]

We can tag him. Thus having Clement's services for two more seasons. ;)

We've already got the secondary taken care of, it's one of the most solid units on the team. Offensive line is the way to go on day one.