BN Blitz Daily Drive Podcast - Insider QB Info

Paul Peck and Kevin Sylvester of the BN Blitz Daily Drive Podcast have been talking to color commentators for the teams the top QB prospects are coming from. It's nice to hear from guys who have seen every single throw these prospects have made. No earth-shattering news in them, but it's nice to hear from guys who have watched their careers develop the entire way. There's more depth to the insight. I also appreciate that these are only about 15 minutes long vs. the norm with seems to be over an hour.

So far they've talked to Kevin McKinney about Josh Allen and Wayne Cook about Josh Rosen, and this week we should be hearing about from the commentators who cover Darnold and Mayfield. I'll update the post with the other QB's once they are available.

Obviously these guys are very positive about each of their guys. It'd be interesting to see if the conversation changes your mind on any of the prospects. McKinney seems to change the hosts minds a bit on Josh Allen. He actually made me feel worse about him due to our O-line, but I'd be curious to see if it makes you feel any better about them. 

Kevin McKinney on Josh Allen 

Wayne Cook on Josh Rosen

If the links require you to subscribe, try iTunes, its where I listen. Link here: BN Blitz on iTunes

Edited by BrotherChazz

He thinks Allen is:

1)  A great leader - I'll respect this because I don't know.

2)  More Accurate than given credit for - help me understand

3)  Can make big-time throws

4)  Keep plays alive

5)  Makes Great decisions - help me understand.

6)  Thinks after listening to this Bills fans can feel a little better - I don't and I'll tell you why.  You're not showing me what you are talking about.

What I want to know then is what am I missing when I look at Nebraska, Boise, Iowa games vs New Mexico, Hawaii?  I see him as the same guy in those games but the talent level on defense was a lot better in the former three and they made him pay for some things.  What I like most about Allen are his perimeter throws (specifically Outs and Comebacks, not quick hitches) and the Post route

Author:  Losing WR's plays into his comp percentage being subpar.  He didn't have quality WR's. 

Me:  But why then is his percentage .3 higher with the loss of those WR's?  I agree with them on completion % as only a measure of accuracy.  But him missing his WR's from the previous year doesn't hold as a reason for him having low completion percentage because it's .3 higher without those players.  So I'm not sure why the missing talent is given as a rationale for his low completion %.  The numbers do not support this reason.

Author:  His missed throws were downfield   

Me:  A lot of them were but many were not.

Me:  I'm going to look at the film.

Josh vs Iowa:  

Allen Makes several good throws here against Iowa (00:22; 00:37; 00:53; 1:37; 2:45; 4:01; 4:29; 4:45; 5:41; 5:46)

BUT

then there's these 

Vs Iowa 1:34; 3:34; 3:38; 3:55; 4:23; 5:00; 5:27; 6:03

and these 00:18; 1:08; 1:46-1:55; 5:27

I get it, his offensive line doesn't help him much but some of it is HIM. 

Josh vs Boise

Before I get into the negative, I want to say that Josh was under pressure a lot in this game, particularly from his right side.  He was able to move and make plays at times.  That's what is impressive about him, other than his arm strength.  But look at the following:

4:10  When I look at this play I scratch my head on the idea of good decision making.  From what I can tell Allen stared down the right side the entire time.  He never looks off the Safety.  Watch his helmet.  It's to the right the entire play.  He never sees the FS over the top and he doesn't do anything with his eyes to move the FS out of the passing lane.  He pump-fakes to the right and then tries to hit the TE down the seam but the FS is there.  Doesn't help that he overthrew the pass a bit.

To his credit, Allen made a couple of throws in this game where I said, other guys probably cannot fit the football in there because they do not have his arm strength.  There was a sideline sizzler that threaded defenders to a WR on the sideline and then there was a sandlot play for a TD all based on his arm.

Here's my thing, everything I noticed in these two games I've seen them in every game I can get my hands on of Allen: and I walk away saying he's the same guy in all of these games.  Some defenses just have superior athletes to make him pay for his mistakes.  To his credit, he was running for his life alot.  I think he is probably a really good guy and a good leader, I don't know since I am not there first hand with him.  There's probably a lot to like about his personality.  I only use probably here because again I don't know.  I just know from a football perspective I need some help understanding:

1)  He's accurate

2)  He makes good decisions

3)  His completion percentage is a result of losing talent

Below are the rest of what I watched on him

Edited by NewEraBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Bunch of homers talking up their guy. Not very bias. They talked to the commentator from OK St on WGR and you would think the Bills were trading up to #1 to draft Mason Rudolph because according to him they liked him so much and the Bills scout seemed "really excited"

Edited by kdiggz

5 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Bunch of homers talking up their guy. Not very bias. They talked to the commentator from OK St on WGR and you would think the Bills were trading up to #1 to draft Mason Rudolph because according to him they liked him so much and the Bills scout seemed "really excited"

I'm not sure how I got a chance to listen to that podcast now.  After listening I closed out the browser and tried to listen to the Rosen podcast and it asked me for a subscription.  Then I tried to open the Allen one again and now it's asking me for a subscription.

35 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

Here's my thing, everything I noticed in these two games I've seen them in every game I can get my hands on of Allen: and I walk away saying he's the same guy in all of these games.  Some defenses just have superior athletes to make him pay for his mistakes.  To his credit, he was running for his life alot.  I think he is probably a really good guy and a good leader, I don't know since I am not there first hand with him.  There's probably a lot to like about his personality.  I only use probably here because again I don't know.  I just know from a football perspective I need some help understanding:

1)  He's accurate

2)  He makes good decisions

3)  His completion percentage is a result of losing talent

Number 3 is what bugged me. Especially considering that the loss of talent was from the O line and the WR's. When you look at the Bills, we have a subpar O-line thanks to the right side, and a lack of talent at WR. Even if the drop in OL play with all the young kids coming in, and the loss of the WR's are the reason he struggled, he'd be walking into a similar situation here, so I don't know how Peck and Sylvester felt better about him after the discussion. Maybe cause he's a leader?? doesn't make sense to me. 

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Subscription required :(

Try using iTunes. Thats how I listen. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BrotherChazz said:

Number 3 is what bugged me. Especially considering that the loss of talent was from the O line and the WR's. When you look at the Bills, we have a subpar O-line thanks to the right side, and a lack of talent at WR. Even if the drop in OL play with all the young kids coming in, and the loss of the WR's are the reason he struggled, he'd be walking into a similar situation here, so I don't know how Peck and Sylvester felt better about him after the discussion. Maybe cause he's a leader?? doesn't make sense to me. 

To add, even when he had the talent there the previous year on the OL, he still was getting pressured so I just find the idea of him losing talent is more of an excuse rather than an argument as to why his completion percentage is so low.