How are the Raiders staying under the cap?

Raiders | Burgess Landed With Five-year Pact - from www.KFFL.com

Sat, 12 Mar 2005 15:16:57 -0800

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Oakland Raiders have reached a contract agreement with free agent DE Derrick Burgess (Eagles) on a five-year, $17.5 million deal. The contract includes a $6 million signing bonus.

I thought they were already over the top w/ moss/woodson, etc

These restrusturings will come back and bite them in a couple years - and I dont see the raiders as a team on the verge of a championship before then

272945[/snapback]

And why is that? They are really improved..........

My wish is for some team, say the Raddahs, the DC Indians, or the Cowgirls to offer so much bonus money to players over time that they have to cut their entire squad one year and forfeit every game.

Oh yeah, you can throw the SanFranSicko 69ers in that group too.

for one, if the raiders move back to LA before 2009, doesn't the move negate all salary cap penalties?

273008[/snapback]

Only if they sign Flutie to a guaranteed 10 year $80 million contract with a $30 million signing bonus.

What some teams )I've read that Washington is one of them)are counting on is in players agreement with the NFL, the last year of the agreement is uncapped. I believe it's 2007. So these teams are way over spending with the hope that there is no new agreement signed before then, therefore in 2007, it's uncapped, so they can then write off all their wild and crazy spending. Even if a guy had a big cap hit in 2008 I suppose they could cut him in 07 and take the hit that year since it doesn't hurt them. Problem is, that same issue has been in past contracts too and the league has never allowed it to get even close to the last year.

When they start to have talks with the league and proposals come up for vote, will teams like Washington and the Raiders vote no, know matter how good deal really is just to get to uncapped year?

i don't see anyone hating on the "tagging woodson" idea now.........it was a smart move on their part to retain this asset and it certainly hasn't effected their ability to be active in free agency, despite what many on this board said.........

My wish is for some team, say the Raddahs, the DC Indians, or the Cowgirls to offer so much bonus money to players over time that they have to cut their entire squad one year and forfeit every game.

Oh yeah, you can throw the SanFranSicko 69ers in that group too.

273004[/snapback]

Didn't the colts already do this? ;);)

i don't see anyone hating on the "tagging woodson" idea now.........it was a smart move on their part to retain this asset and it certainly hasn't effected their ability to be active in free agency, despite what many on this board said.........

They probably screwed their cap down the line somewhere restructuring contracts of older players. It's also possible they don't even get any takers for Woodson and have to pay him $10.8M this year, or release him outright.

They probably screwed their cap down the line somewhere restructuring contracts of older players.  It's also possible they don't even get any takers for Woodson and have to pay him $10.8M this year, or release him outright.

273642[/snapback]

once they clear woodson off the books they can take the cap dollars and redo a lot of those contracts that they have currently backloaded........or they can take those dollars and move them into to future years using LTBE bonuses, thus reducing the impact those backloaded deals have on their cap.......

they can't release him outright because the minute he signed that tender his salary was guaranteed........but they will find a taker for him because their asking price doesn't have to be much.......as long as they get something for him the move looks good.......if they get a lot for him, the move looks brilliant........

Raiders | Burgess Landed With Five-year Pact - from www.KFFL.com

Sat, 12 Mar 2005 15:16:57 -0800

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Oakland Raiders have reached a contract agreement with free agent DE Derrick Burgess (Eagles) on a five-year, $17.5 million deal. The contract includes a $6 million signing bonus.

I thought they were already over the top w/ moss/woodson, etc

272851[/snapback]

Well, only the top 52 or 53 players count against the cap at this point. You can have 70 players signed, but only the top 52 or 53 count. It certainly makes it easier when you have a ton of people signed that have low 2005 cap numbers. Of course they'll be screwed in the future.