Eric Wood's Contract Status: Explained

I think there's more to it than just that.  The hold up, in my belief is the signing bonus.  You are right, his 2018 base salary is guaranteed, however I'm not sure the Bills can't go after 2/3's of his signing bonus.  He received a $6.5M bonus over the course of the 3 yr. deal......and while most teams don't do it, I believe if you retire teams are able to recoup the prorated portion of the signing bonus.  We know the '18 base salary is guaranteed for injury, but I'm not sure signing bonuses are guaranteed for injury.  

BTW, this was an awful break for the Bills.......if they are unable to recoup 2/3's of the singing bonus which amounts to a little over $4M they would've paid Eric Wood over $15M in cash for 1 year.  Bad break for both sides.  I think Eric and the Bills will find a compromise.  Bills did him a solid by offering a healthy extension and guaranteeing an entire yr. in case of injury, which is over $5M.  I think they need to find a compromise on the SB.

Where do I know this name?  I don't think you're entry level sports guy, right?  Not like that one click bait site.  Your name looks familiar. 

Either way, both sides did a contract. Both sides must stick to it.

1 hour ago, KevinMassare said:

After taking many weeks to dissect what is going on with Eric Wood, the Bills were placed in a losing spot when Wood was unable to continue to play football due to a career ending chronic neck problem.

Read more

I don’t see any new insight here.  The Bills have no need to cut Wood pre or post June 1. They mayif there aren’t other players they want to cut post June 1 ( only 2 per team per year)

Or they can IR him and release him with a failed physical designation before 2019 league year.

I can’t see the Bills tradingaplayer their own doctors don’t clear to play.  That’s not how to build a good rep

Eric just sold his very modest house in Hamburg NY for $300,000.  Even in the Buffalo area that is cheap!  Eric, from personal knowledge, is always the last guy to pick up a bar tab.  He is fine with his charity and his charity work!  All highly paid players have a charity which is a wonderful tax write-off.  It's good for both sides.

I would bet Eric won't walk away from a dime!  I don't think originally saying "I am retiring" was approved by his agent!!!

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Punt75 said:

Eric just sold his very modest house in Hamburg NY for $300,000.  Even in the Buffalo area that is cheap!  Eric, from personal knowledge, is always the last guy to pick up a bar tab.  He is fine with his charity and his charity work!  All highly paid players have a charity which is a wonderful tax write-off.  It's good for both sides.

I would bet Eric won't walk away from a dime!  I don't think originally saying "I am retiring" was approved by his agent!!!

I mean, ya can't blame the guy for wanting all he can get. The blame I throw at the dude is that he said one thing now doing another.