Flutie To Be Released!!!

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think 3 links from the SD Chargers website "objectively dispell" these supposed "myths", I suggest you look up the words.

273228[/snapback]

And you know better because you live in Alaska yet you are "inside the dressing room"?

The proof is the proof, so when you have good proof, IT IS PROVEN !!!

Show us BETTER REAL PROOF, when you manage to pull your head out of the sand !!...make that SNOW BANK !!!...or is it numb from the cold?? 0:):P:P

guru, being that you are already in the habit of posting infrequently, I hope that you will adhere by the old addage of, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

I don't profess to speak for anyone but myself, but even though I enjoy a little (pun intended) Flutie talk now and then, the fact that you go on and on about the Chargers, San Diego fans, etc. is simply nauseating. If you want to give them oral sex over the internet, go post on their message boards. Same goes for AJ Smith, Flutie, and anyone having to do with the Patriots or their trolls.

You can try to revise it all you want, Flutie played excellent football in 1998, and Rob Johnson took his demotion like a man, even when Flutie was wasting the best defense in football with his often terrible play in 1999.

In the Bills toughest game of that year, Johnson put the Bills in position to win a playoff game on the road, a position he was put in because Flutie had QB'd the team poorly in several stunning losses against inferior opponents that season.

But being the prick that he is, he somehow found the gall to publicly blame the loss on Johnson.  It's hard to quantify how ridiculous that was.  Twelve months earlier Flutie had turned the ball over 5 times and fumbled the game away at the goal line in an inexcusable playoff loss to a mediocre Miami team.  But as little sense as his self-promotion made, it turned the whole QB situation into an absolute firestorm that tore apart the fan base and split the lockerroom in half and ended up sweeping Wade Phillips and much of the success and continuity the franchise had developed right out the door.

I like to watch Flutie play, but anybody who doesn't see what a weasel he was, and the damage he wrought to the Bills(after being hailed as the salvation of the franchise) is completely blind to the facts.

273221[/snapback]

my strong understanding of that TN playoff game is that wilson ordered the coaches to play johnson, and philips/pendry et al. wanted to start flutie. my understanding is also that this is was key in the rupture of wilson's relationship with butler and smith. you can spin the 2 playoff performances all you want, but the bottom line is that flutie v. miami lit their very good secondary up like a christmas tree, allowing eric moulds to have the greatest playoff receiving performance in nfl history (240 yards receiving) while flutie himself averaged a whopping 10 yards per passing play:

21 completions 36 attempts 360 yards 1 td 1 int 4 rushes 29 rushing yards 1 fumble

(that's two turnovers, not five)

johnson, on the other hand, performed well at the end of the game against a good TN defense after looking miserable for 3 and half quarters.

10 completions 22 attempts 131 yards 0 tds 0 ints 3 rushes 9 yards

1 turnover (fumble) that resulted in a Titans TD

spin away ...

my strong understanding of that TN playoff game is that wilson ordered the coaches to play johnson, and philips/pendry et al. wanted to start flutie. my understanding is also that this is was key in the rupture of wilson's relationship with butler and smith. you can spin the 2 playoff performances all you want, but the bottom line is that flutie v. miami lit their very good secondary up like a christmas tree, allowing eric moulds to have the greatest playoff receiving performance in nfl history (240 yards receiving) while flutie himself averaged a whopping 10 yards per passing play:

21  completions  36 attempts  360  yards  1 td  1 int    4 rushes    29  rushing yards 1 fumble

(that's two turnovers, not five)

johnson, on the other hand, performed well at the end of the game against a good TN defense after looking miserable for 3 and half quarters. 

10 completions 22 attempts  131  yards 0 tds  0 ints    3  rushes    9 yards

1 turnover (fumble) that resulted in a Titans TD

spin away ...

273257[/snapback]

p.s. - flutie's numbers came on the road against the nfl's third ranked defense (miami in 1998) and johnson's numbers came against the nfl's 18th ranked defense (TN in '99)

The Titans were also undefeated at home that year whereas the Dolphins weren't.  And it came down to a botched ST's play wiht RJ, not a sack and a fumble like with Flutie.  Bottom line is the TEAMS didn't get it done, but when RJ left the field, the Bills were ahead.

273262[/snapback]

Yep......RJ was a tough bastard that game.

not flutie's fault - flutie put up more points and yards against a better defense.

273271[/snapback]

Was I talking about Flutie? Pretty sure I was talking about RJ.

Was I talking about Flutie?  Pretty sure I was talking about RJ.

273274[/snapback]

sorry - i was referring to madbuffalodisease's post. look -- i'm hardly the hugest flutie booster in the world, but i loathe rob johnson and everything the guy stood for. i was at ucla when he was at usc, and i watched him choke 3 years in a row against both ucla and nd despite having, in succession, 3 first round receivers playing for him -- curtis conway, johnnie morton, and keyshawn johnson. he also had tony boselli as his left tackle. (plus, when his brother, bret johnson -- who was the #1 overall qb recruit in the mid-90s -- didn't get the starting job at ucla, he cried to the media about unfairness and then transferred to michigan state, where he then flamed out.) also, i'm sorry, but if you're playing in buffalo and kvetching about it (as he did every chance he could immediately after he was dumped) and also hopping on the next 737 to So Cal every chance you get to escape buffalo (as if Orange County has anything resembling interesting culture), then you're not getting my vote. flutie, like him or not, at least has some freakin' charisma. i watch football for entertainment, and players are entertainers. johnson has negative charisma. that's pretty much all i have to say on the subject.

sorry - i was referring to madbuffalodisease's post. look -- i'm hardly the hugest flutie booster in the world, but i loathe rob johnson and everything the guy stood for.  i was at ucla when he was at usc, and i watched him choke 3 years in a row against both ucla and nd despite having, in succession, 3 first round receivers playing for him -- curtis conway, johnnie morton, and keyshawn johnson. he also had tony boselli as his left tackle. (plus, when his brother, bret johnson -- who was the #1 overall qb recruit in the mid-90s -- didn't get the starting job at ucla, he cried to the media about unfairness and then transferred to michigan state, where he then flamed out.) also, i'm sorry, but if you're playing in buffalo and kvetching about it (as he did every chance he could immediately after he was dumped)  and also hopping on the next 737 to So Cal every chance you get to escape buffalo (as if Orange County has anything resembling interesting culture), then you're not getting my vote.  flutie, like him or not, at least has some freakin' charisma.  i watch football for entertainment, and players are entertainers. johnson has negative charisma. that's pretty much all i have to say on the subject.

273279[/snapback]

not a problem......I'm not really all that attached to either of them.....they both had their moments, but I'm glad they're both gone. I think it's clear that Flutie was the more successful QB, but there were some times when RJ really showed some balls......the KC game and the Tenn playoff games were two examples.

not a problem......I'm not really all that attached to either of them.....they both had their moments, but I'm glad they're both gone. I think it's clear that Flutie was the more successful QB, but there were some times when RJ really showed some balls......the KC game and the Tenn playoff games were two examples.

273285[/snapback]

yep - johnson was a talented player who did show toughness. the other stuff overwhelmed that for me, however. as for losman, i like him - he's got some moxie and seems like he has a genuine personality. so far, he looks like rob johnson from the negative zone (and his hometown of venice, CA is the negative image of orange county, RJ's home base). that's a good thing, in my opinion.

yep - johnson was a talented player who did show toughness. the other stuff overwhelmed that for me, however. as for losman, i like him - he's got some moxie and seems like he has a genuine personality. so far, he looks like rob johnson from the negative zone (and his hometown of venice, CA is the negative image of orange county, RJ's home base). that's a good thing, in my opinion.

273291[/snapback]

JP=Bizarro World RJ

sounds good to me.

I liked Flutie when he won games for the Bills. I'll always remember the bootleg TD to win the game against Jax.

I liked Johnson when he won games for the Bills. I'll never forget the performances against KC and the 4th qtr against the Titans.

Couldn't care less what they're doing today.

Go get 'em, JP!

P.S. Not really following Jim Kelly at this point, either.

I liked Flutie when he won games for the Bills. I'll always remember the bootleg TD to win the game against Jax.

I liked Johnson when he won games for the Bills. I'll never forget the performances against KC and the 4th qtr against the Titans.

Couldn't care less what they're doing today.

Go get 'em, JP!

P.S. Not really following Jim Kelly at this point, either.

273327[/snapback]

I was with ya until you threw Jimbo into the mix......He will ALWAYS be near and dear to the hearts of true Bills fans, dammit

I was with ya until you threw Jimbo into the mix......He will ALWAYS be near and dear to the hearts of true Bills fans, dammit

273328[/snapback]

So what's he up to today?

Don't get me wrong, I loved him as the QB, and he retired as a Bill, so there's a big difference there, but I don't get into arguments about who was the best QB ten years ago.

So what's he up to today?

Don't get me wrong, I loved him as the QB, and he retired as a Bill, so there's a big difference there, but I don't get into arguments about who was the best QB ten years ago.

273329[/snapback]

0:)