• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

GO TO THE POUND

Seriously.

Mutts are bound to be healthier dogs most of the time anyway. If you think about it, all pure breds are inbred if you go back far enough in their family tree.

That is a moot point, though, really. Pound dogs are just so damn great. When you go, you will obviously see a ton of pit bull mixes. Some people have stereotypes against them, and I don't know enough about it to agree or argue. But, there will also be mutts of other breeds too. Finding a puppy might be impossible, as most people don't throw away puppies. But then again, many of the older dogs will be house broken, or easier to house train.

That being said, the most important thing is, that if people keep shelling out $500-$2000+ for a "purebred", the puppy mills will keep making them, and more and more of the mixed breeds will just be gassed, and people will stop caring.

And someone said "go to the pound, and one will catch your eye"? It's more like "go to the pound and you will catch one of their eyes" :lol: When I got Sadie, i went to the pound, and she was the one dog that would follow me back and forth (she would go from one end of her cage to the other) when I would walk by. Someone else came up (a real scummy looking guy) with a piece of paper and wrote down her number. I thought "well, at least someone is taking her". Then, i left. I went back two hours later, and she was still there. I guess he didn't make the cut for adoption! :lol: She is suuuch a mutt that all 3 vets I have taken her to have not been able to tell me her dominant breed. She may in fact be one of a kind...

Anyway, did i mention: GO TO THE POUND

GO TO THE POUND

Seriously.

270713[/snapback]

Absilutely nothing wrong with that. The pound, OR a rescue. If you're pick on getting purebreeds, you can get these and more through recue organizations for just about every breed of animal.

Absilutely nothing wrong with that. The pound, OR a rescue. If you're pick on getting purebreeds, you can get these and more through recue organizations for just about every breed of animal.

270717[/snapback]

Who asked you, ya stinking fin fan?

:lol: :lol:

I have a Golden Retriever - Irish Setter mix. She is a wonderful dog. Great around children, and is very smart. If I had to get another, I think it would be the same or pure bred golden. The only thing is, they shed alot.

I have a 14 month old Weimaraner and good lord that thing has some energy.

My girlfriend runs her for three miles in the morning and then i either run her for three more or walk her for five after work.

If it's raining and bitterly cold and we have to skip a session the dog bouncing off the walls.

I was wathcing a NOVA special on PBS and they said Weims and Dalmations were literally breed to travel up to 35 miles a day searching for game.

Maybe people get these hunting breeds for their looks but don't even come close to giving thme an outlet for their energy.

But if you take care of the Weim's energy needs they are just about the perfect family dog. Short hair, very loyal, playful, protective and gets along with all other people and dogs.

Boxer...great all around dog. Better than a nannie around kids. Kids be rough with them all day long, boxer doesn't care. And when they're done playing with the kids, they'll be on guard dog duty. They don't bark alot either.

Great dispositions...said to be the only dogs with a sense of humour.

Boxer...great all around dog. Better than a nannie around kids. Kids be rough with them all day long, boxer doesn't care. And when they're done playing with the kids, they'll be on guard dog duty. They don't bark alot either.

Great dispositions...said to be the only dogs with a sense of humour.

270853[/snapback]

I second that. the next dog we get is going to be a boxer!

i've got 2 beagles...they're great dogs, athletic and can withstand alot of abuse (like roughhousing) and never get angry at you...however they have a tendency to run away and they're pretty headstrong, so if you leave the door open by accident, it's like a jailbreak

they're useless for protection (since they're so friendly), however they're great "alarms" as they can somehow always sense people showing up at the house

got pics of them here

My Beagles

Stewie

Darwin

next time i'm getting a golden retreiver

I have a Golden Retriever - Irish Setter mix. She is a wonderful dog. Great around children, and is very smart. If I had to get another, I think it would be the same or pure bred golden. The only thing is, they shed alot.

270726[/snapback]

do purebred goldens shed alot?

my purebred beagles shed like crazy

everytime i vacuum, it's like i sucked up a small dog

I have an American Eskimo. They are about 20 lbs full grown. Mine is great with kids and is extremely affectionate. He also will bark his balls off at anyone who comes near our house.

I got him when I lived in FL and now live in Buffalo and he was fine in both climates. One nice thing about the breed is snow does not stick to his fur. So when he goes out in it he doesn't get all of the little ice balls in his fur like most dogs.

American Eskimo info

Mickey, you live further North though.  We looked at these and my child wanted one, but a friend who trains and breeds dogs said they struggle more the further south you go.  I expect that ncdawg is in North Carolina, and that is further south then me 

I agree great dogs, but have to consider the climate and enviroment as well.

270507[/snapback]

You are absolutely right. That fur of theirs is something else. Even here in Syracuse I keep a kiddie pool for him to soak in if he gets too hot. Kind of like what they use at training camp.

Golden retriever/chow mix (looks like a golden with a chow purple tongue). Great around kids, dogs, and us.

She needs a lot of exercise, but putting in a doggie door with our fenced in yard was the greatest investment for her. We don't have to crate her during the day.

We got her at 8 weeks and moved to a new house at 5 months. ZERO accidents in the new house (9 months and counting). Very trainable.

Some friends of ours got a dog breed called a Vizsla a few years ago. I'd never heard of it before. Turns out to be a perfect dog. I understand the breeders are very selective about who they sell to and frown on and discourage random breeding by owners.

They're short haired (no shedding and don't cause allergies), smart, trainable, and obedient sporting dog, not too big but no lap dog either, good looking, great with kids, even tempered.

Here's a link:

http://clubs.akc.org/vizsla/history.htm

You might want to look into it if you're going for a pure bred pup.

Otherwise, the local animal shelters are full of homeless animals waiting to reward their rescuers with a lifetime of loyalty.

Best of luck.

My mother had a vizla when she was growing up. She still talks to this day about how great that dog was.

Now she has cockers, and she loves them just as much. None of the cockers my family has owned have ever been snippy or mean. We had a mutt who was like that, though.

If you get purebread, make sure you meet the parents of the dog. That will give you an idea of their demeanor.

Also - my sister just got a Great Dane from a rescue. 3 1/2 months old, HUGE and wonderful.

Some friends of ours got a dog breed called a Vizsla a few years ago. I'd never heard of it before. Turns out to be a perfect dog.  I understand the breeders are very selective about who they sell to and frown on and discourage random breeding by owners.

They're short haired (no shedding and don't cause allergies), smart, trainable, and obedient sporting dog, not too big but no lap dog either, good looking, great with kids, even tempered.

Here's a link:

http://clubs.akc.org/vizsla/history.htm

You might want to look into it if you're going for a pure bred pup.

Otherwise, the local animal shelters are full of homeless animals waiting to reward their rescuers with a lifetime of loyalty.

Best of luck.

271578[/snapback]