It's February 15. What's going on at OBD?

Shaw66

38 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Shaw, we all know what's going on at OBD today. We all know that Kevin Costner is getting Jennifer 'whats her name' pregnant in the work room.  We all saw the movie.

You know, there was a lot of absurd stuff in that movie, but I really enjoyed the portrayal of how gut-wrenching these decisions are.   You can collect all the data you want, but at the end of the day the answer isn't obvious.   So you have to make a decision that amounts to something only a little better than guess work, and the wrong decision will cost you a lot of money or a lot of draft picks, and in either case it  could cost you your job.   

7 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Just to be clear, I said they've done most of their research on the veterans who might be available.   The research on the QBs in the draft pool is ongoing.   The veterans, they already have formed opinions on.   Anyone in whom they're really interested, they've already studied every bit of film they have access to.   I'm sure if you could talk to them today about who they think is worth pursuing as long-term solution, they can give a pretty definitive thumbs down on everyone they know is OFF their list, and they can give you a pretty good but not yet definitive thumbs up on guys they want.   That is, they can tell you no on Keenum, Cousins, Bridgewater, Bradford, Foles, or yes subject to further investigation on each of the same guys.

Your fifteen years to fix is hyperbole.   Losman was not a mistake that took fifteen years to fix.    Edwards wasn't a fifteen year mistake.   It's true that it's been 15 years since Bledsoe, but that doesn't mean the wrong choice takes fifteen years to fix.  

The  wrong choice generally impacts the team for three to four years.   Either you cough up three first-round picks to move up to pick a rookie, or you write a contract that has three-year salary cap implications.   In either case, if the guy you pick is a bust, you're in position to take another shot at a solution with three to four years, max.     The good thing about signing a veteran to a big deal is that although it has three to four years of salary cap implications, you keep your draft picks, so you can keep drafting potential QBs who might be the solution if the veteran doesn't work out.  

Ok on the clarification part. I can see where they would be up to speed on the vets.

As for the hyperbole, you kind of make my point for me. But first let me clarify the language.

"....but show me another mistake they can make, that can take  15 years to fix, and I won't worry as much about the QB choice!"

Note that I said can take 15 years to fix. I didn't say it can take 15 years to make another mistake. 

Getting to your post, they didn't fix Lossman with Edwards, right? And they didn't fix Edwards with EJ. And they didn't fix EJ with Tyrod.

The trouble is, getting someone new is a gamble. Not a sure thing. It is easy to miss and hard to get it right. Say the odds are 50-50 drafting a top guy. You can miss twice at 50-50 odds easily. So at the timetable of doing that every 4 years one could surmise it takes you 3 times if the luck isn't good, which is 12 years worth of trying to fix it right there.

The bottom line is drafting another guy isn't fixing it. And yeah maybe 15 years is a slight exaggeration if you have a team run by normal people who don't constantly do stupid things. But it is understandable since the Bills have been trying, if it can be said they have been trying to fix it, since Jim Kelly retired in 1996 which was 22 years ago.

Edited by BadLandsMeanie

10 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Ok on the clarification part. I can see where they would be up to speed on the vets.

As for the hyperbole, you kind of make my point for me. But first let me clarify the language.

"....but show me another mistake they can make, that can take  15 years to fix, and I won't worry as much about the QB choice!"

Note that I said can take 15 years to fix. I didn't say it can take 15 years to make another mistake. 

Getting to your post, they didn't fix Lossman with Edwards, right? And they didn't fix Edwards with EJ. And they didn't fix EJ with Tyrod.

The trouble is, getting someone new is a gamble. Not a sure thing. It is easy to miss and hard to get it right. Say the odds are 50-50 drafting a top guy. You can miss twice at 50-50 odds easily. So at the timetable of doing that every 4 years one could surmise it takes you 3 times if the luck isn't good, which is 12 years worth of trying to fix it right there.

The bottom line is drafting another guy isn't fixing it. And yeah maybe 15 years is a slight exaggeration if you have a team run by normal people who don't constantly do stupid things. But it is understandable since the Bills have been trying, if it can be said they have been trying to fix it, since Jim Kelly retired in 1996 which was 22 years ago.

You and I agree on the substantive point.

Just as a matter of writing, which means a lot to you and me and not so much to others, when you say "can take 15 years to fix," the clear implication of that language is that the mistake alone screws things up so much that it takes 15 years to unwind it.   You can parse the sentence and try to prove the literal words mean something else, but as I said, the implication is clear.   

There are practically NO 15 year mistakes in the NFL.    There can be SERIES of mistakes that leave you with the same problem for 15 years, and that's what you meant and what your next post clarified.   The Bills have had a long run of mistakes, not one 15-year mistake.  

I'm sure there are a lot of things I would be interested in knowing in terms of what is going on, but there is only 1 thing i really want to know....

Is there a deal that could be made today with the Giants to move up to #2?  Is there a price that the Giants have given us to close a deal today.  If so, what is it?

At this point, I am ready to do just about whatever it takes to get to 2 or 3.  It's time to take a swing at getting a franchise guy in here.Could it be a mistake?  Sure, but you know what?  If it doesn't work out, you always get to try again in a couple years.  It's time to stop settling for below average QB play and start expecting greatness again.  Whether it's Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield that you want, take a swing and get up there to get one of those guys.  It's time.

31 minutes ago, sven233 said:

I'm sure there are a lot of things I would be interested in knowing in terms of what is going on, but there is only 1 thing i really want to know....

Is there a deal that could be made today with the Giants to move up to #2?  Is there a price that the Giants have given us to close a deal today.  If so, what is it?

At this point, I am ready to do just about whatever it takes to get to 2 or 3.  It's time to take a swing at getting a franchise guy in here.Could it be a mistake?  Sure, but you know what?  If it doesn't work out, you always get to try again in a couple years.  It's time to stop settling for below average QB play and start expecting greatness again.  Whether it's Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield that you want, take a swing and get up there to get one of those guys.  It's time.

i"ll be interested to see, but I really don't think the Bills are trading up to #2.   I think Bean LOVES his draft picks; the only time I can imagine him trading three or four picks for one would be if there was a certifiable premier talent he could get, a talent like Luck.    He isn't going to trade, I don't think, three or four picks to get a guy who has question marks around him, be it Allen, Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield.   

The longer I think about it, the more I think he's going to sign a free agent QB.   Then, depending on how good he feels about the guy he signed, Beane will take a QB in the first round or in some later round.