Games behind in pro sports

row_33

It’s a rarity this late in a season but the Raptors are in first place and yet half a game behind second place Boston 

baseball and hoops go by winning percentage in the standings and with so many games in hand we have it demonstrated today

Winning pct rules, you can look it up, you see it in baseball in April with a lot of rainouts that first place is games behind even third  place

It’s really late in the hoops season for this to happen though

What exactly am I looking up? When was the last time a baseball season was determined based on one team playing more games than another? 

In season, when the number of games differ between teams you can look at percentage or games behind. I've never seen baseball standings that are based on winning percentage. Of course there's nothing stopping anyone from publishing standings based on that. It's just something I've never seen.

MLB started with a strike in 1972 and agreed not to play makeup games so the Tigers played one more than Boston and took the division by one more win.

the RULES say its winning pct

do you always become a crybaby when someone tells you something didn’t know before?????? 

Its okay to learn something..... 

Edited by row_33

I regret if my tone came off as crybaby. I don't see it, but regardless that was never my intention.

I was unaware of the 1972 season and would have appreciated your answer more without the supercilious attitude.  But yeah, I never knew that so thanks. 

I stand by my comment that I've never seen a MLB standing that was rated by winning percentage over games ahead, even early season.  Perhaps you can comb the newspapers and prove me wrong. I promise that if you do I will not shed a tear.