Floyd Womack To Visit Today

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If my name was "Pork Chop" I'd be very nervous about joining a team that had Sam Adams on it.

267511[/snapback]

I don't know, braised or grilled pork chops go pretty well with a Sam Adams. I'd probably go for an IPA, something to stand up to the spices. Go with the garlic mashed potatoes and grilled veggies, too, you won't regret it.

A little more on Floyd from ESPN Insider and SCouts Inc.

#77 Floyd Womack ESPN

Height: 6-4

Weight: 333 lbs.

Pos: Offensive Tackle

Born: November 15, 1978, Cleveland, MS

Drafted: 2001, 4th Round, 33rd Pick by Seattle Seahawks.

Experience: 4 years

College: Mississippi State

2004 Scouting Report - Football Scouts Inc.

Name: Floyd Womack

Position: Offensive Guard

Grade: 68 | Key

Alert: None

Comment:

Womack is a dominant drive blocker when he can get his hands into the defender's frame. Possesses excellent bulk, will engulf undersized defenders at the point of attack and can wear defenders down over the course of the game. Takes good angles to blocks and works hard to get into good position. Plays with good balance and can sustain blocks. Has experienced playing tackle as well as guard and is somewhat versatile though a much better fit at guard. Takes too long to get out of stance and often gets beaten to the inside. Struggles to redirect inside after starting outside and is vulnerable to double moves. Lacks the burst to get to the second level quickly and doesn't have the lateral ability to adjust to the moving target in space. Isn't fast enough to get around the corner on pulls or traps, lacks range and offers little as a downfield blocker.

So, he is a solid player and would come at second tier T money and can start at RT day one.

This is a decent o-line

LT- M Williams

LG- Demulling, Baas, Brown, or Brooks

C- Teague

RG- Villarial

RT- Womack

if we wait till the draft to address LG we could very well end up being stuck with tucker for another year..........we all know TD doesn't draft for need.......

sign demulling or vincent -- instant upgrade to our starting OL and our depth........

267560[/snapback]

agreed on the drafting for need point. But, Baas and Elton Brown could easily be there or more likely one of the two, CJ Brooks will be there. With possibly 3 very good looking G's at our 2nd rounder, TD could grab him.

agreed on the drafting for need point. But, Baas and Elton Brown could easily be there or more likely one of the two, CJ Brooks will be there. With possibly 3 very good looking G's at our 2nd rounder, TD could grab him.

267587[/snapback]

he could........

or he could grab another player at a different position who he has rated higher then those 3........see my point?

A little more on Floyd from ESPN Insider and SCouts Inc.

#77 Floyd Womack    ESPN

Height: 6-4

Weight: 333 lbs.

Pos: Offensive Tackle

Born: November 15, 1978, Cleveland, MS

Drafted: 2001, 4th Round, 33rd Pick by Seattle Seahawks.

Experience: 4 years

College: Mississippi State

2004 Scouting Report - Football Scouts Inc.

Name: Floyd Womack

Position: Offensive Guard

Grade: 68 | Key

Alert: None

Comment:

Womack is a dominant drive blocker when he can get his hands into the defender's frame. Possesses excellent bulk, will engulf undersized defenders at the point of attack and can wear defenders down over the course of the game. Takes good angles to blocks and works hard to get into good position. Plays with good balance and can sustain blocks. Has experienced playing tackle as well as guard and is somewhat versatile though a much better fit at guard. Takes too long to get out of stance and often gets beaten to the inside. Struggles to redirect inside after starting outside and is vulnerable to double moves. Lacks the burst to get to the second level quickly and doesn't have the lateral ability to adjust to the moving target in space. Isn't fast enough to get around the corner on pulls or traps, lacks range and offers little as a downfield blocker.

So, he is a solid player and would come at second tier T money and can start at RT day one.

This is a decent o-line

LT- M Williams

LG- Demulling, Baas, Brown, or Brooks

C- Teague

RG- Villarial

RT- Womack

267580[/snapback]

See, the problem here is that the O-Line isnt like musical chairs. You cant just say "Mike Williams is a tackle, so clearly he can play LT". Mike Williams has always been a RT, all the way back to college. You want to plug his plodding self at JP's blindspot? Teams cannot just mix and match O-Lineman and think that there wont be a problem.

Now, if we want Womack to play tackle, he'd have to be our LT because Big Mike cant do it. That being said, Womack at least has experience at LT, I give him that. I think I'd be content if we could sign DeMulling and Womack, set DeMulling at LG and then have a training camp battle between Womack and Gandy to see who wins the LT spot.

And I'd still draft a Center and Tackle with our first two picks to further solidify our O-Line.

See, the problem here is that the O-Line isnt like musical chairs.  You cant just say "Mike Williams is a tackle, so clearly he can play LT".  Mike Williams has always been a RT, all the way back to college.  You want to plug his plodding self at JP's blindspot?  Teams cannot just mix and match O-Lineman and think that there wont be a problem. 

Now, if we want Womack to play tackle, he'd have to be our LT because Big Mike cant do it.  That being said, Womack at least has experience at LT, I give him that.  I think I'd be content if we could sign DeMulling and Womack, set DeMulling at LG and then have a training camp battle between Womack and Gandy to see who wins the LT spot.

And I'd still draft a Center and Tackle with our first two picks to further solidify our O-Line.

267600[/snapback]

Now, you know there's no room for level headed posts here in the midst of this free agency hysteria, BGIM. C'mon, now.

have a training camp battle between Womack and Gandy to see who wins the LT spot.

267600[/snapback]

that sounds horrible to me........i don't think either of those backups are NFL starting caliber LT's..........i'm still holding out hope that we land shelton.......if we get shelton and demulling/vincent we are sitting pretty.......

That Shelton deal is not going to happen. I was holding out hope as well, but its clear at this point, with the Cards attempting to make a trade for Michael Bennett last week, that they have no interest in Travis Henry anymore. So unless TD gives up a 3rd rounder, Shelton will be shipped off to another city.

Just scanning through the list of of free agent visits, the only other place where Womack is visiting is Green Bay. An internet search doesn't reveal much. One Jasksonville fan site has a post that states he has played some left tackle (yes, I know he played for Seattle, but Jacksonville is looking at linemen too). Judging from the Seattle website, he's not been a starter to this point in his career, but has been an all purpose backup. He has gotten some decent time in because of injuries and contract holdouts over his 4 year career.

After going out and reading several scouting reports, this guy seems a better fit at LG. Seems to be very good at straight ahead blocking/moving the pile in the run game. Conflicting opinions at OT but could be a road grader at Guard.

In McNally, I trust.

He started 8 games for the Seahawks last year, giving up 4 sacks while being assessed one holding call and one false start. He played on a line that was one of the least effective in the league in short yardage rushing and probably the worst sign is that the right side of Seattle's line was far and away the least productive direction for their backs to run.

He started 8 games for the Seahawks last year, giving up 4 sacks while being assessed one holding call and one false start. He played on a line that was one of the least effective in the league in short yardage rushing and probably the worst sign is that the right side of Seattle's line was far and away the least effective direction for their backs to run.

267861[/snapback]

well seeing they had 2 probowlers on the leftside, that would make sense.........put jones and hutch on any team and all of a sudden "the right side of XXX's line was far away the least effective direction for their backs to run".........

See, the problem here is that the O-Line isnt like musical chairs.  You cant just say "Mike Williams is a tackle, so clearly he can play LT".  Mike Williams has always been a RT, all the way back to college.  You want to plug his plodding self at JP's blindspot?  Teams cannot just mix and match O-Lineman and think that there wont be a problem. 

Now, if we want Womack to play tackle, he'd have to be our LT because Big Mike cant do it.  That being said, Womack at least has experience at LT, I give him that.  I think I'd be content if we could sign DeMulling and Womack, set DeMulling at LG and then have a training camp battle between Womack and Gandy to see who wins the LT spot.

267600[/snapback]

Unless the Shelton trade happens - and it won't - it's time for everyone to get used to having MW at LT. Womack, Teague, and Gandy are all much worse LT options than MW.

MIKE WILLIAMS WAS DRAFTED TO PLAY LEFT TACKLE, NOT RIGHT TACKLE.

Unless the Shelton trade happens - and it won't - it's time for everyone to get used to having MW at LT. Womack, Teague, and Gandy are all much worse LT options than MW.

MIKE WILLIAMS WAS DRAFTED TO PLAY LEFT TACKLE, NOT RIGHT TACKLE.

268160[/snapback]

they all look like bad options to me.......i still hold out hope for shelton........