Lost reply to Darin

Dr. K

I don't know who is lying and frankly I don't care very much.  I've always chastised those on the right who rip the guy about his service - even if he was a complete POS, he did his time.  Him lauding himself over it doesn't sit well with me either. 

I also don't think military service is as great a gauge of leadership as has been made out to be.  The lion's share of people in the military (especially officers) are so far from being competent leaders it's actually laughable.  Most people fall into the warm body category (exceptions are obvious combat operators who's daily tasks involve killing people and breaking stevestojan - or training for such endeavors) and are far more likely to do what is best for their career than what is best for their people or the mission.

To be honest, I haven't wasted 5 minutes reading about this particular political "football," though I did hear a little of an interview with one of the veterans on the evening drive home.  Not enough to gleen whether the guy was worth anything or not, unfortunately.

Politics.  :devil:

116[/snapback]

Can't say I disagree, we make too much of military service on occasion. The fact is though that people care about it when it comes to their votes. It pretty much is and always will be an issue that is featured in campaigns. Candidates ignore that reality at their peril. In time of war it is an even bigger issue. I'm not saying it should be, just that it is.

Archived