Too Conservative vs. Patriots

PolishDave

14 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

You are still talking about Tyrod I see.

Does he fart when he sleeps bro - or do you plug that hole for him when he is sleeping so your bed sheets aren't so stinky?

Tyrod DID play and threw a red zone int and 60 ish more yards.  

??‍♂️    

I'll bow out now, I know it's a sensitive subject for ya.   

OC did it, did it vs Saints too. 

IMG_7677.JPG

Edited by Air it out Fitzy

8 hours ago, OJABBA said:

Maybe, but then again, considering that the Pats have beaten the Bills every which way for over a decade, maybe they are just so much better that they are able to counter whatever the Bills can throw at them?

Yeah, I think that's the answer...

Patriots are the better team no doubt.

Bills beat them before with Brady at the helm.    It wasn't by playing conservative football and settling for field goals.   Bills scored 34 to beat them.

Patriots were beat earlier this year.   The Chiefs scored 42 to beat them.   The Panthers scored 33 to beat them.

Any time you play them, your entire offensive game plan should be as risky as necessary to get to at least 30 points.    As soon as the Bills kicked the first field goal, it was evident that McDermott intended to use the same strategy as every other game - which is to just try to keep the game close until the 4th quarter.    His strategy should have been to take more risk in an attempt to score at least 30 points during the limited number of possessions his team was going to get.   

Every time during the Brady era when the Bills played the Brady led Patriots and they tried to go play normal conservative football - the Bills lost.    I think Chan Gailey realized that before he got fired from the Bills.   I don't think any other coach here in that time frame ever realized that because you just didn't see them take the risks against the Patriots.

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

They've been conservative all year. 

McDermotts Dick Jauron reincarnated. 

8 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

McDermott is certainly conservative, but I don't know if he is quite that bad.

Yeah.   I don't think he is quite as bad as Jauron.   He is pretty close though.   At least with his approach to how to win games and strategy for doing so.

I wonder if the Bills will ever have a high powered offense during McDermott's tenure here.   To early to say of course.   I just don't see the Bills ending up on the winning side of a 51-3 game because I sense that McDermott will start handing the ball to the fullback every play once the Bills are up by 10 points. - (tongue in cheek)

4 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

too conservative or this

Peterman's 1st series vs. the Pats - WHY?

When down, you want to score fast.  4 straight passes is not conservative imo.  

McDermott/Dennison have spurts where they aren't conservative.  Example - Joe Webb touchdown miss -  But their overall philosophy tends more toward the conservative side.

Examples from post 1 = last offensive possession before half - Bills called timeout so they could get the ball back before half - then just essentially ran the clock out - duh - Bills settled for field goal knowing that they probably needed to score touchdown there to win - and they waited till half way to through the 3rd quarter before trying to force the ball deep at all.

An aggressive offensive minded coach probably doesn't do all 3 of those in a game against the highest scoring quarterback/team of his era.   It is actually pretty laughable the more you think about it.

13 hours ago, PolishDave said:

Tyrod's play proves you dead wrong for the last two years prior to this one.

Just 2015.  The deep ball and throwing downfield was a struggle last year.  It’s specifically what Lynn said last year at the seasons end.  Anticipatory throws and going downfield was not where they wanted it.  He said we could have really opened up the offense if we were better at that.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

McDermott/Dennison have spurts where they aren't conservative.  Example - Joe Webb touchdown miss -  But their overall philosophy tends more toward the conservative side.

Examples from post 1 = last offensive possession before half - Bills called timeout so they could get the ball back before half - then just essentially ran the clock out - duh - Bills settled for field goal knowing that they probably needed to score touchdown there to win - and they waited till half way to through the 3rd quarter before trying to force the ball deep at all.

An aggressive offensive minded coach probably doesn't do all 3 of those in a game against the highest scoring quarterback/team of his era.   It is actually pretty laughable the more you think about it.

Conservative for whom?   imo TT.

Why? ....  again imo TT. 

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Just 2015.  The deep ball and throwing downfield was a struggle last year.  It’s specifically what Lynn said last year at the seasons end.  Anticipatory throws and going downfield was not where they wanted it.  He said we could have really opened up the offense if we were better at that.

that

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

Conservative for whom?   imo TT.

Why? ....  again imo TT. 

Dennison has always been conservative when it comes to throwing deep.   Even before Tyrod when on other teams.

In fact, Dennison is even more conservative with deep balls than Anthony Lynn was when running Greg Roman's offense - lol

How many deep balls did Peterman throw?   

11 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

Dennison has always been conservative when it comes to throwing deep.   Even before Tyrod when on other teams.

In fact, Dennison is even more conservative with deep balls than Anthony Lynn was when running Greg Roman's offense - lol

How many deep balls did Peterman throw?   

the passing game is more about how often you throw a "deep ball" but actually having a passing game with 5 to 15 to 20 yard passes.   

To me the conservative approach is the sticking to the run and actually having an effective passing game.  

14 point lead in the 4th QTR, sure go somewhat conservative then, not before.    

I quickly turned on the MNF game as I went to bed with Pitt trailing 20-10 to the Bungles with 14 min on the clock.   I wake up to hear Pit won by 3.  

I've seen quite a number of games where a 10 point deficit with 10 minutes to go was erased because of a conservative O and prevent D have cost teams the game. 

The game was  on local TV and they cut the game off. for something more interesting.   I couldn't tell you what Nate did or didn't do after his first drive.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

1 hour ago, PolishDave said:

I wonder if the Bills will ever have a high powered offense during McDermott's tenure here.   To early to say of course.   I just don't see the Bills ending up on the winning side of a 51-3 game because I sense that McDermott will start handing the ball to the fullback every play once the Bills are up by 10 points. - (tongue in cheek)

I think it is possible we'll, at some point, have an offense that can compete with Brady, assuming the defense does its job.  Obviously need a QB and a bunch of other pieces, but I'll give Beane and McDermott the benefit of the doubt.

Agree that whatever offense we have, McDermott will not run the score up.  You're probably not far off, 10 points is a big cushion for McD.  Hope he sheds some of his conservatism since he should be seeing that it won't beat Belichick.