Cubs and Bills comparison

Marc Weaver

Didn't read the article yet.  I will say this.  Beane is very smart in this business we call the NFL.  His moves have left some scratching their heads but i trust this guy 100%.  I think we are heading into a very good era in Bills football.  

I think the idea is the same, build through the draft and then sprinkle in the right kind of veterans around them.  I think sprinkling in the right kinds of veterans is something some don't understand well.  Dareus, despite whatever his contributions were on the field, was just a selfish player.  Same goes for Sammy.  Those guys aren't good examples for young players.  Leaders like Kyle Williams and Incognito have been great for this team.  Great leaders usually helps create a solid chemistry and a positive atmosphere for young players.  Hopefully we hit on the picks we have this offseason, they can really make a dent in reshaping this roster into McBean guys.

1 hour ago, Marc Weaver said:

Read the linked article recently and thought there were several similarities to Theo Epstein's approach to building a champion to what is happening "right here, right now" with Brandon Beane.

It's a bit of a heavy read, but very interesting.  Let's discuss.

http://www.scmr.com/article/how_to_build_a_supply_chain_champion

I read the article until it cut off for subscribers only.  And yes, there's something here, and that's why they call it "the process."  What I've gathered so far from McBeane Moneyball:

- dump/avoid long term contracts, particularly at positions that age poorly - defensive tackle, anyone?

- find the prime value spots in the draft and collect picks there - trade down to the late 1st round and take T. White; trade up to the early 2nd round and take Zay.  The salary differential between a top 10/15 pick and, say, the 27th or 36th pick is far greater than the expected performance differential.

- find and keep guys who are willing to adapt to your program and put forth maximum effort even if they are less talented than others; dump guys who aren't.

It's really too early to say much else about the McBeane philosophy. Right now, I'd say the baseball equivalent is more of the Rockies than the Cubs or the Astros.  The Cubs did about a 90% tank. The Astros 100%. The Rockies? They always had the idea that they'd somehow remain competitive while rebuilding. They were wrong on the first front - they never got awful like the Astros, but they never seriously contended until 2017.  Time will tell whether the "rebuild on the fly" model works. So far, the tanking model is looking pretty poor for the Browns; the rebuild on the fly is looking pretty good for the Rams (who always harbored illusions of competing even while trading up for Goff, etc.).