Correct me if I'm wrong

In hindsight this little talked about deal has proved to be very important to the Bills this coming season. Obviously replacing Pat is going to be difficult, but can you imagine having to replace both Pat and Schobel?

Kudos to TD for getting Schobel signed, without him and Pat we would be in serious trouble next season.

I'm not as convinced that it was a good deal for the Bills. $23M over 5 years is a lot of money, especially for the third best starter on the Bills defensive line (well, now he's the 2nd best). Schobel is a little better than average, but he does not command double teams and is not someone I think opposing teams really worry much about.

In hindsight this little talked about deal has proved to be very important to the Bills this coming season. Obviously replacing Pat is going to be difficult, but can you imagine having to replace both Pat and Schobel?

Kudos to TD for getting Schobel signed, without him and Pat we would be in serious trouble next season.

264350[/snapback]

the bills extended aaron during last season

This is obvious but I think out of the 3 big FAs the Bills priority was to make sure Schobel stayed. He's the youngest and IMO its easier to find a quality big man in the middle then a good RE.

264360[/snapback]

LE, and its much more difficult to find a player at that spot then DT, or OT for that matter.

I'm not as convinced that it was a good deal for the Bills.  $23M over 5 years is a lot of money,  especially for the third best starter on the Bills defensive line (well,  now he's the 2nd best).  Schobel is a little better than average,  but he does not command double teams and is not someone I think opposing teams really worry much about.

264362[/snapback]

I think that it was a great signing, and that AS, had he waited, would have received approx. 7-10 million dollars more. Not because he is great. Jonas Jennings isn't great either, nor is MacKenzie (sic) from the jests, and these guys just got staggering bonuses.

I think that the Bills DEs will do a bit more stunting this year. It may sound crazy, but SA and PW were SOOO big that there was often no space for a DE to go inside. ;) AS also played better vs. the run last year, and due to his great speed, was always good in pursuits.

In summary, is AS great? No. Is he a bargain at today's prices? I think so.

I think that it was a great signing, and that AS, had he waited, would have received approx. 7-10 million dollars more. Not because he is great. Jonas Jennings isn't great either, nor is MacKenzie (sic) from the jests, and these guys just got staggering bonuses.

I think that the Bills DEs will do a bit more stunting this year. It may sound crazy, but SA and PW were SOOO big that there was often no space for a DE to go inside.  ;) AS also played better vs. the run last year, and due to his great speed, was always good in pursuits.

In summary, is AS great? No. Is he a bargain at today's prices? I think so.

264622[/snapback]

I'm with you, good post.