The Last Play against the Bucs - illegal?

BisonMan

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So I actually read this opposite. You need to catch a backward pass in order to advance. Anyone can recover a backward pass after it touches the the ground, but it seems not advance. There is a note under article 1 about backwards passes that hit the ground but remain live balls (A direct snap from center in the backfield, a muffed hand-to-hand snap, or a snap that is untouched by any player are backward passes, and the ball remains alive.).

Based on this and the other comments on laterals being fumbles I don't think it could be advanced.

No, backward passes are always live balls. Even if a QB throws an inconpletion to an RB backwards its a live ball and can be recovered and returned for a touchdown and has a few times...

Good pulling out the rules here. Thanks. Unfortunately, there is still some ambiguity in my mind. It never states that a backward pass that hits the ground ISN'T a fumble but the rule treats it exactly as if it were a fumble. It also mentions an "intentional fumble". How is that not exactly a backward pass that hit the ground?

I think there is some "intent" inferred by refs on backward passes (I.e. Laterals) which hit the ground that they could use to differentiate the from intentional fumbles.

I need Dean Blandino to explain this one.

There isnt much to explain. Anyone who watches a game can use common sense to determine when a player is trying to execute a lateral or backwards pass.