Mike Williams Contract Question

Which explains why Bledsoe is still here.  B-)

262771[/snapback]

Bledsoe wasn't the # 4 overall in the draft 2002 draft and isn't costing us

$ 9,000,000 this year.

Yeah, that certainly helps cover your mostly baseless bashing.

263132[/snapback]

Mike Williams had some very serious problems last year as you are aware.

He is going to make $ 9,000,000 this year as an average RT.

That was a horrible draft pick and worse contract.

Stop me when I'm going too fast.

----------------------------

Seriously, you are happy with this selection and present situation?

:devil:

Mike Williams had some very serious problems last year as you are aware.

He is going to make $ 9,000,000 this year as an average RT.

That was a horrible draft pick and worse contract.

Stop me when I'm going too fast.

----------------------------

Seriously,  you are happy with this selection and present situation?

:devil:

263139[/snapback]

If you thought Mike Williams was an average tackle the last half of last season then there's little point in continuing this discussion.

The mechanisms early in his career to play at the top of his game simply weren't there. The coaching was woeful and he ended up looking much worse because his inside help may have been the worst starting guard in the NFL - to say nothing of the QB play, scheme, inadequacy of the other players on the offense. It was no surprise to me that he became dominant after:

1. CV and he played some games together.

2. The BILLS brought in one of the top 3 active OL coaches in the NFL.

As far as whining because he took off a couple of days of training camp, whoopie. I've supervised a few hundred people in my time and I learned a long time ago that each person deals with situations differently. That doesn't make him less of a person or even much of a concern - regardless of what the media drums up to get people beating their bonehead bongos.

Is he worth $9,000,000.00? No (I can't think of one non-QB who is). Do I expect his deal to be redone to become more cap friendly? I do.

Mike Williams improved by leaps and bounds as the 2004 season wore on. We all know about the problems entering camp but his press during the season improved each week. Received plenty of props by the local press.

His contract can be reworked ( I bet it will ). Maybe the plan to move him to LT is already in place, especially with the mobile Losman as our QB. Still seems to be several starting RT's out on the market and even more Guards. Gandy is a versitle depth/backup signing and comes cheap, little doubt. I still see TD calling several other OL as we speak. I also trust McNally to identify talent.

TD stated the Offense would be addressed at the Bledsoe press conference and I have little doubt he's playing his cards with certain targeted candidates as we speak.

If you thought Mike Williams was an average tackle the last half of last season then there's little point in continuing this discussion.

The mechanisms early in his career to play at the top of his game simply weren't there.  The coaching was woeful and he ended up looking much worse because his inside help may have been the worst starting guard in the NFL - to say nothing of the QB play, scheme, inadequacy of the other players on the offense.  It was no surprise to me that he became dominant after:

1.  CV and he played some games together.

2.  The BILLS brought in one of the top 3 active OL coaches in the NFL.

As far as whining because he took off a couple of days of training camp, whoopie.  I've supervised a few hundred people in my time and I learned a long time ago that each person deals with situations differently.  That doesn't make him less of a person or even much of a concern - regardless of what the media drums up to get people beating their bonehead bongos. 

Is he worth $9,000,000.00?  No (I can't think of one non-QB who is).  Do I expect his deal to be redone to become more cap friendly?  I do.

263160[/snapback]

Right. Very nice post. OK then.

I will hope he continues where he left off in 2004, and to learn and develop

into a dominant RT, and restructures soon.

Unless he's angry about the way he's been treated by the Buffalo media and fans and just wants to play out his deal rather than add years here.  Can't say I'd blame him given what we see here on a daily basis.

262647[/snapback]

AD, he would not have to have his little feelings hurt by what you described if he played up to first round level, let alone the #4 pick of an entire draft.

Yes, his play did improve last season, but 9 mil. is obscene for what he has produced to date. Simply obscene, and I am not overly concerned with his feelings.

Are you?

AD, he would not have to have his little feelings hurt by what you described if he played up to first round level, let alone the #4 pick of an entire draft.

Yes, his play did improve last season, but 9 mil. is obscene for what he has produced to date. Simply obscene, and I am not overly concerned with his feelings.

Are you?

263493[/snapback]

No. But I'm not the guy inking the contract, either.

I have a feeling he'll restructure and stay put but sometimes the things people say and write make guys want a fresh start. As far as not playing to the level expected, there are more than enough reasons why that is so and most of them aren't on Big Mike.

No.  But I'm not the guy inking the contract, either.

I have a feeling he'll restructure and stay put but sometimes the things people say and write make guys want a fresh start.  As far as not playing to the level expected, there are more than enough reasons why that is so and most of them aren't on Big Mike.

263496[/snapback]

I mostly agree with you. He played next to garbage for 2 years, and had Travis Henry helping out on blitzes, a certain recipe for disaster. His coaching was also less than stellar until Coach McNally rode into town. Interestlingly, he played poorly when CV was hurt.

What I DONT excuse was his arriving at camp as a beached whale.

The truth is, if he plays RT like Erik Allen or Bob Brown did, the hit would be easier to live with, but he has yet to do so.

Big Mike is one of several players that needs to really step up in 05, along with both DEs. If they do, I expect the Bills to make the playoffs, as long as the qb position is managed properly. ;)

I am not sure the economics work for a restructuring of MW's contract. I would assume that if he agrees to extend his contract it would not be for less money than he is making now. He is making $9million per year. I doubt he would restructure his contract so that over the next four or five years (or whatever number of years his contract is extended) he makes less than $9 million per year on average. In other words, he is not going to agree to an average salary of $4 or $5 million even if we offer decent bonus money up front. I just don't see that happening.

No.  But I'm not the guy inking the contract, either.

I have a feeling he'll restructure and stay put but sometimes the things people say and write make guys want a fresh start.  As far as not playing to the level expected, there are more than enough reasons why that is so and most of them aren't on Big Mike.

263496[/snapback]

Alaska.....

I def agree with most of what you are saying but I was really really dismayed when I saw Mike WIlliams show up for camp so out of shape........

Regardless of how much he is making (and I think he will restructure it too) I really hope he shows up this year ready to go physically.....I think he could make the Pro Bowl as a RT or a a decent LT for us.......

I am not sure the economics work for a restructuring of MW's contract.  I would assume that if he agrees to extend his contract it would not be for less money than he is making now.  He is making $9million per year.  I doubt he would restructure his contract so that over the next four or five years (or whatever number of years his contract is extended) he makes less than $9 million per year on average.  In other words, he is not going to agree to an average salary of $4 or $5 million even if we offer decent bonus money up front.  I just don't see that happening.

263675[/snapback]

I dont pretend to know about restructure of contracts (clump...where are you) but I do think that you can restructure him in a sense where you convert money into a bonus to and then it comes out with a reduced cap hit......