What I haven't seen yet

Buffalo716

I believe they are using the preseason to work on stuff that he needs work on. And clearly he still needs it. But they are not going to put the roll outs and bootlegs on film. This is practice time. Maybe next week we see a little more given he is going to play 3 quarters.

Bouncing off of the point, I believe to be correct... cover 1 guys thought they were also forcing the ball to Holmes, as an example, to evaluate him.

I believe they go into games with objectives that don't include scoring or winning. It's a totally different mindset.

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

Bouncing off of the point, I believe to be correct... cover 1 guys thought they were also forcing the ball to Holmes, as an example, to evaluate him.

I believe they go into games with objectives that don't include scoring or winning. It's a totally different mindset.

I completely agree that you go in to accomplish milestones that you have set and it's not always about pure #s

But

That doesn't account for some poor reads and throws from Tyrod or poor pass blocking. Or the penalties

Coaches ALWAYS want execution

The "real" offense, ie, first team, has been out there early in games, and it has sucked. All this chatter about "playing vanilla" and working "on stuff they need to work on" is a lot of whistling past the graveyard. Other teams' first team offenses manage to produce drives and score TDs in the first two preseason games, but the Bills can barely get two first downs in a row. Every third or fourth play, they get caught holding. The only Bills offensive starters who seem to have played well have been Shady and Sammy, who is now in LA.

When the starters on any unit consistently play poor in preseason, it's a sure signal that that unit is going to struggle in the regular season. It's likely the Bills are going to have to depend on the defense to not only stop opponents' offenses but to do much of the scoring as well.

No, it's not really a sure thing that they will struggle in the regular season. Actually, preseason success is a terrible indicator of regular season results.

There have been plenty of teams that went 0-4 in the preseason and went on to have good seasons. For just 1 example- The 1990 Bills. They sucked in preseason that year, could hardly score, went 0-4. Then won 13 games in the regular season and went to their 1st Super Bowl.

And there's been plenty of teams that went 4-0 in preseason and went on to suck in regular season. Like the 2008 Lions for ex. They went undefeated during preseason, looked great and people were hyping them up. Then they went 0-16 in the regular season that year.

Or the Rams in 2011. Went 4-0 preseason, 2-14 regular season. Actually, the last I looked, teams that went 4-0 in the preseason missed the playoffs more times than not.

Im not saying the Bills are going to be great this year, but I'm definitely not ready to panic yet and you surely can't say that it's a "sure sign" the offense will suck from 2 preseason games with no game plan, totally vanilla schemes and an O Line that struggled mightily.

This is the same concept employed by Marv Levy and his staff when we were winning the championships. Conservative, vanilla, work on developing players, not necessarily win games. We won very few preseason games during that era, and it mean nothing. Some coaches want to win those games, some want to develop their team and look deeper into what they have.

The penalties is more and issue than anything. If we can get that straightened up, I think we will be fine.JMO