Looking ahead to 2017 and 2018 Schedules

boyst

So, from the Shoutbox I began to wonder what does McDermott have in store after hearing the 5th toughest schedule for 2017. And since it is always "well there is always next year..." lets look at next year.

2018 looks a hell of a lot better. We can easily surmise that it will look like this

Home: NJ, NE*, Mia - Jax, Ten, Chicago & Detroit, with AFC West*

Away: NJ, NE*, Mia - Houston, Indy, GB, Min, AFC North*

Looking at it, I wish it were flip flopped on the NFC opponents for home and away. But, it's likely that neither Chicago nor Detroit will be all that amazing. Minnesota is disrupted right now withe the Bridgewater situation. Green Bay is Green Bay.

The AFCS is fine as it is, but I'd rather be playing Houston at home. We could realistically split the games with all 8 of those teams based on no rational thinking whatsoever.

AFC North is likely to be Baltimore or Cinci - Pittsburgh should be able to win the division and Cleveland better than 4th isn't happening. If we finish last, so be it, Cleveland is fine. Easier.

AFC West is the toughest game next year and at least its at home. Denver, KC, Oakland all have a decent shot to win the division and will all field strong teams. We could face either of the 3 or SD.

If we can not get worse in 2017, maybe win a few games... 2018 looks good for having two first round picks, to boot!

Disirregardless, there are only 3 wins I really want for 2017. NE* x 2 and Carolina because !@#$ Carolina.

Strength of schedule discussions for the coming year are tenuous at best given the changes in teams from year to year.

Speculating on the strength of schedule for the following year, when 6 of the opponents are not even known, is fruitless.

Strength of schedule discussions for the coming year are tenuous at best given the changes in teams from year to year.

Speculating on the strength of schedule for the following year, when 6 of the opponents are not even known, is fruitless.

I get your point and don't necessarily disagree. They do however know all but 2 opponents. They know it will be 1 of 4 opponents in each case and where he game will be played.

no. only two opponents are not known. the rest is 100% certain.

and there is enough reason to have a reasonable understanding of what is to be - if this was the more volatile nfc east where they go high up or down every year, or the afcwest where they're all pretty good...it'd be different.

if it makes you feel any better, i can tell you all the teams we will play in 2020... except for two. i'll even tell you where we play them.

Edited by Boyst62

no. only two opponents are not known. the rest is 100% certain.

and there is enough reason to have a reasonable understanding of what is to be - if this was the more volatile nfc east where they go high up or down every year, or the afcwest where they're all pretty good...it'd be different.

if it makes you feel any better, i can tell you all the teams we will play in 2020... except for two. i'll even tell you where we play them.

OK, 2 unknown opponents, that's fine. The much bigger factor is how much teams change season to season, in unpredictable ways.

I don't have any data on hand to make my point, so maybe I am mistaken and forecasts for two seasons out are almost as accurate as those for the upcoming season. And those forecasts are...so incredibly accurate!

In any event, if you have a prediction for the Bills W-L record in 2018, that and $3 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. :w00t:

OK, 2 unknown opponents, that's fine. The much bigger factor is how much teams change season to season, in unpredictable ways.

I don't have any data on hand to make my point, so maybe I am mistaken and forecasts for two seasons out are almost as accurate as those for the upcoming season. And those forecasts are...so incredibly accurate!

In any event, if you have a prediction for the Bills W-L record in 2018, that and $3 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. :w00t:

who's honestly changed much in the last two years? the only real changes that are beyond normal are the teams that struggle - carolina, green bay, and seattle failing. the only real turn around the last two years that was shocking was atlanta and they were a flawed team.

teams only get worse. the great teams were good teams last year. the good teams this year may be great teams next year, it's that simple with

rudimentary logic...