(OT) Need a root canal... :(

Fezmid

I just had one last year. The drugs were kind of cool. They told me I would be able to drive myself home afterwards, they just used some locals. But they gave me something, don't remember what for the immediate pain and gave me a prescription from something else. Anyhow, got on 95 to go home and I literally saw my peripheral vision completely disappear. It was very odd, I could only see straight ahead and couldn't even see in the rear view mirror without looking directly at it.

I never want to do that again.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just had one last year.  The drugs were kind of cool.  They told me I would be able to drive myself home afterwards, they just used some locals.  But they gave me something, don't remember what for the immediate pain and gave me a prescription from something else.  Anyhow, got on 95 to go home and I literally saw my peripheral vision completely disappear.  It was very odd, I could only see straight ahead and couldn't even see in the rear view mirror without looking directly at it.

I never want to do that again.

257955[/snapback]

Now there's a softball...

It didn't go away. You post here all the time. :D

The problem was the oral surgeon weighed about 500 lbs or more and had hands like hams.  I think he tried to put both of them in my mouth at once. 

257594[/snapback]

hey, look on the bright side - he could have been your proctologist! :D

"Hey!, that's not fair giving a guy a shot down there!"

Been there. Done that. It wasnt as bad as the horror stories you hear. It's a lot like a filling except they use a bench grinder. Well that's what it felt like anyway. Just pressure.

However- alert the Dentist is you start feeling any sensations. I guess the Novacaine either didnt get all the way or there wasnt enough because there was an instant where they had to scrape me off the ceiling.

Well, I'm going to be able to get in on an emergency basis this afternoon at 1:15pm. They're not sure if they'll be able to do both phases (not sure what that means), but they'll be able to remove any pain with the first phase (it hurts very slightly right now, kind of like a mild tingling pain, but I havn't actually eaten anything since visiting the dentist yesterday either as I'm worried it's going to hurt and/or break something...). If they don't have a lot of emergencies, they'll be able to do it all at once but apparantly Wednesday is a big emergency day (Huh?!). At least I don't have to worry about it from now until Tuesday I suppose... Instead I get to be miserable thinking about it until 1:15. :D

CW

Well, I'm going to be able to get in on an emergency basis this afternoon at 1:15pm.  They're not sure if they'll be able to do both phases (not sure what that means), but they'll be able to remove any pain with the first phase (it hurts very slightly right now, kind of like a mild tingling pain, but I havn't actually eaten anything since visiting the dentist yesterday either as I'm worried it's going to hurt and/or break something...).  If they don't have a lot of emergencies, they'll be able to do it all at once but apparantly Wednesday is a big emergency day (Huh?!).  At least I don't have to worry about it from now until Tuesday I suppose...  Instead I get to be miserable thinking about it until 1:15. :)

CW

258298[/snapback]

The 1st phase is the pulpotomy, to remove the diseased roots. If that's all they're going to do today, they slap a temporary filling on. The 2nd phase involves putting material into the canals and permanently filling the surface (or tooth build-up and cap as the case may be).

Bon apetit! :)

TRy having an absess tooth pulled. Now THAT's pain.

I hate, hate, HATE going to the dentist. That being said, when I was 18, i had a cavity. It was apparently a small one, and I asked for novacain. I swear to you, his exact words were "Ahhh, just grin and bear it". All I could do was see flashes of Little Shop of Horrors. And small or not, that f--ker hurt. Bad. Never again will I "grin and bear it". They make novacain for a reason. Ask for lots of it. Don't be afraid to tell your Doctor/Dentist that you are a p-ssy when it comes to stuff like this. I am a huge p---y when it comes to getting blood taken. I had some blood work done about a year ago, and whenever I do i turn my head, can't even look at the needle, much less it going into my arm... .. . .

I hate, hate, HATE going to the dentist. That being said, when I was 18, i had a cavity. It was apparently a small one, and I asked for novacain. I swear to you, his exact words were "Ahhh, just grin and bear it". All I could do was see flashes of Little Shop of Horrors. And small or not, that f--ker hurt. Bad.  Never again will I "grin and bear it". They make novacain for a reason. Ask for lots of it. Don't be afraid to tell your Doctor/Dentist that you are a p-ssy when it comes to stuff like this. I am a huge p---y when it comes to getting blood taken. I had some blood work done about a year ago, and whenever I do i turn my head, can't even look at the needle, much less it going into my arm... .. . .

258579[/snapback]

I had a couple of very bad experiences with a dentist when I was in highschool, and that's what got me into my current mess (ie: I didn't go anymore for too many years once I graduated).

The first instance was when they extracted all four of my wisdom teeth at the same time, in addition to doing a filling on a back molar. That was miserable. At least they used novacane. But I couldn't eat real food for over a week, could barely talk for days, and it bled a lot so I got to shove cotton on my mouth several times a day.

The second instance was similar to yours Steve; I had a "small" cavity in one of my top teeth and they said it didn't need novacain. Figuring they knew what they were doing, I let it go. It hurt like hell (not "peel me off the ceiling" hurt, but still very uncomfortable). I guess it all depends on the dentist... At least now my regular dentist is really nice, friendly, and willing to inject novacain for me (although I hate needles and have visions of the needle going through the side of my mouth whenever they inject it; I'm such a wuss). I was slightly concerned because she just graduated from dental school less than a year ago, but it was from a good school (U of M), and so far so good.

CW

I hate, hate, HATE going to the dentist. That being said, when I was 18, i had a cavity. It was apparently a small one, and I asked for novacain. I swear to you, his exact words were "Ahhh, just grin and bear it". All I could do was see flashes of Little Shop of Horrors. And small or not, that f--ker hurt. Bad.  Never again will I "grin and bear it". They make novacain for a reason. Ask for lots of it. Don't be afraid to tell your Doctor/Dentist that you are a p-ssy when it comes to stuff like this. I am a huge p---y when it comes to getting blood taken. I had some blood work done about a year ago, and whenever I do i turn my head, can't even look at the needle, much less it going into my arm... .. . .

258579[/snapback]

Guess you wouldn't want me to start an IV or THREE on your asss then, huh? :)

Guess you wouldn't want me to start an IV or THREE on your asss then, huh?  :)

258592[/snapback]

I was squirming uncomfortably when my WIFE was getting an IV this past fall. It took them 3 or 4 attempts to get it right and I told her there was no way I would've been able to do that. Ouch.

CW

I was squirming uncomfortably when my WIFE was getting an IV this past fall.  It took them 3 or 4 attempts to get it right and I told her there was no way I would've been able to do that.  Ouch.

CW

258595[/snapback]

My mother got into a bad car accident just under three years ago. When we got to the hospital, she had dozens of staples in her left leg. I looked at it, and had to go out into the hall. Then I had to sit. I got hot and had to take off the sweater i had on. Thought I was going to puke, passout, or both. I am not good with that stuff at all.

I was squirming uncomfortably when my WIFE was getting an IV this past fall.  It took them 3 or 4 attempts to get it right and I told her there was no way I would've been able to do that.  Ouch.

CW

258595[/snapback]

That many attempts is inexcusable.......nobody should have to be a pin cushion. I shouldn't give Stojan a hard time, actually.....I can start IVs with the best of them, but if you stick me I'll friggin pass out lol.......Life is one big irony :)

That many attempts is inexcusable.......nobody should have to be a pin cushion. I shouldn't give Stojan a hard time, actually.....I can start IVs with the best of them, but if you stick me I'll friggin pass out lol.......Life is one big irony :)

258601[/snapback]

They just had the general nurse putting it in at first and she's the one who screwed up. When they got the anesthisiologist (sp?), he got it no problem.

Experience, I guess.

T-minus 2 hours, 15 minutes for root canal. :)

CW

My dental woes are of a different nature. I have a terrible gag reflex(keep the jokes to yourself) and going to the dentist is an absolute adventure.

My dentist has told me for many years, that I would never be able to make it through a crown procedure if I ever needed one. If I ever have to cross that bridge, I'll have to look up a dentist who is willing to put me to sleep. :)

They just had the general nurse putting it in at first and she's the one who screwed up.  When they got the anesthisiologist (sp?), he got it no problem.

Experience, I guess.

T-minus 2 hours, 15 minutes for root canal.  :)

CW

258613[/snapback]

If the anesthesiologist got it with no problem, that tells me it's not so much that your wife has difficult veins as it is the nurse who tried at first just sucked at starting them. Don't be afraid to hold the nurse to a 'one and done' policy. Sometimes even the good ones miss, but 4 times........wow........I couldn't have taken that lol Your wife is a strong lady!

My dental woes are of a different nature.  I have a terrible gag reflex(keep the jokes to yourself) and going to the dentist is an absolute adventure. 

My dentist has told me for many years, that I would never be able to make it through a crown procedure if I ever needed one.  If I ever have to cross that bridge, I'll have to look up a dentist who is willing to put me to sleep. :)

258625[/snapback]

lol, I'm sure your dentist must love it when you come in to have some work done

lol, I'm sure your dentist must love it when you come in to have some work done

258630[/snapback]

The red flag goes up with both the dentist and hygenist when I come walking through the door. Even the slightest gag will cause them to yank those dental instruments out of my mouth! :)