(OT) Need a root canal... :(

Fezmid

The red flag goes up with both the dentist and hygenist when I come walking through the door.  Even the slightest gag will cause them to yank those dental instruments out of my mouth! :)

258648[/snapback]

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm honestly not making fun of you......I just think what you are describing would make a hilarious scene in a movie or something lol. I can picture your dentist getting frustrated and pissed off and just chucking stuff against the wall after 20 mins of non-stop gagging

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm honestly not making fun of you......I just think what you are describing would make a hilarious scene in a movie or something lol. I can picture your dentist getting frustrated and pissed off and just chucking stuff against the wall after 20 mins of non-stop gagging

258664[/snapback]

If you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at! :):)

It's not as bad as you imagine, but only because they are very careful when working on me!

258664[/snapback]

The Adventures of Remo Labbatt in the Dentists Chair

or Kill LB - Vol 1 and Vol 2

Today's dentists have a lot of good ways to stop pain when performing their procedures. I, like you, had a lot of dental phobia and avoided the dentist for a long time. Finally my boss went ahead and forced me to see her dentist.

This guy was great and I became very relaxed with both him and the hygentist. He had to redo all my childhood dental work (my childhood dentist was so bad that he made me phobic) and I never felt one bit of pain.

He also made a nightguard for me since I had started to grind my teeth in my sleep which helped allieviate a lot of pain for me.

One thing that you might want to consider, is do some self systematic desentization, try imaging yourself in the dentist chair while placing yourself in a relaxed state, that should lower some of the anxiety.

Or do as Vonnegut suggested in Slaughter House Five, and just concentrate on happy thoughts while going through the procedure.

But, with the painkillers they got now, I don't think you will have any problems at all.

When I was younger, just a bad little kid

My mama noticed funny things I did

Like shooting puppies with a B.B. gun

I'd poison guppies and when I was done

I'd find a pussycat and bash in its head

That's when my mama said...

She said, "My boy, I think someday

You'll find a way to make your natural tendencies pay

You'll be a dentist

You have a talent for causing things pain

Son, be a dentist

People will pay you to be inhumane

Your temperament's wrong for the priesthood

And teaching would suit you still less

Son, be a dentist

You'll be a success."

257528[/snapback]

Thank you Dr. Scrivello! :ph34r:

Well, I'm back, and still alive.

They had to shoot me up with novacain (or whatever they use) about a dozen times (literally) before I stopped feeling anything. Considering I absolutely hate needles, that was not too fun.... :D

After that, it wasn't too bad I guess. It was rather disturbing having someone shove these metal pin things down my teeth for so long, but I didn't feel anything, only had to deal with the bad sounds.

Apparantly all of my roots merged into a pocket at the bottom which I found strange. He said that it's unusual, but not uncommon, and that it's no big deal. Looked funny on the x-ray.

The place was pretty hightech. There was an LCD screen right by the chair and as soon as they took an x-ray, it came up on the LCD screen so they could zoom in on certain parts and explain exactly what was goinjg on. As most people here know, I apprecaite good technology.

I go in for a crown prep on the 17th (with my regular dentist) and the actual crown on the 31st. Hopefully the worst is behind me now (although he did say that roughly 2% of cases have problems... I hope I'm not that 2% :lol: ).

I'm starving -- only ate a sandwich yesterday and a banana today -- but I can't feel half of my mouth so eating now wouldn't be a good idea (unless I want to bite my tongue off). Maybe this will be the new weight loss fad? :ph34r:

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences and helping me mentally prepare for what was going to happen today. It was very much appreciated! To anyone sitting on the fence about whether to go to a dentist or not -- GO!!! It's best to get things done ASAP than put it off and have it get worse. I'm going to brush twice a day now, floss several times a week (can't say 7, that'd be lying...), and see the dentist every 6 months like I'm supposed to. You should too.

CW

Well, I'm back, and still alive.

They had to shoot me up with novacain (or whatever they use) about a dozen times (literally) before I stopped feeling anything.  Considering I absolutely hate needles, that was not too fun....  :D

After that, it wasn't too bad I guess.  It was rather disturbing having someone shove these metal pin things down my teeth for so long, but I didn't feel anything, only had to deal with the bad sounds.

Apparantly all of my roots merged into a pocket at the bottom which I found strange.  He said that it's unusual, but not uncommon, and that it's no big deal.  Looked funny on the x-ray.

The place was pretty hightech.  There was an LCD screen right by the chair and as soon as they took an x-ray, it came up on the LCD screen so they could zoom in on certain parts and explain exactly what was goinjg on.  As most people here know, I apprecaite good technology.

I go in for a crown prep on the 17th (with my regular dentist) and the actual crown on the 31st.  Hopefully the worst is behind me now (although he did say that roughly 2% of cases have problems...  I hope I'm not that 2% :lol: ).

I'm starving -- only ate a sandwich yesterday and a banana today -- but I can't feel half of my mouth so eating now wouldn't be a good idea (unless I want to bite my tongue off).  Maybe this will be the new weight loss fad? :ph34r:

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences and helping me mentally prepare for what was going to happen today.  It was very much appreciated!  To anyone sitting on the fence about whether to go to a dentist or not -- GO!!!  It's best to get things done ASAP than put it off and have it get worse.  I'm going to brush twice a day now, floss several times a week (can't say 7, that'd be lying...), and see the dentist every 6 months like I'm supposed to.  You should too.

CW

259240[/snapback]

Get some of that microwave soup in a can.

My dental woes are of a different nature.  I have a terrible gag reflex(keep the jokes to yourself) and going to the dentist is an absolute adventure. 

My dentist has told me for many years, that I would never be able to make it through a crown procedure if I ever needed one.  If I ever have to cross that bridge, I'll have to look up a dentist who is willing to put me to sleep. :ph34r:

258625[/snapback]

You're certianly not alone. I have a terrible gag reflex as well. Needless to say, all my appointments are first thing in the morning and I don't eat before them.

I had the same hygenist since I was 6 years old. It was nice because she new exactly what made me gag. Unfortunetly, she has now moved and I need to find a new one. I've been putting it off but I need to go before I wind up like our poor root canal friend.

You're certianly not alone. I have a terrible gag reflex as well. Needless to say, all my appointments are first thing in the morning and I don't eat before them.

I had the same hygenist since I was 6 years old. It was nice because she new exactly what made me gag. Unfortunetly, she has now moved and I need to find a new one. I've been putting it off but I need to go before I wind up like our poor root canal friend.

259519[/snapback]

Simple solution. Stalk her and find out where she moved to. Damn you're not very bright are you?

Simple solution.  Stalk her and find out where she moved to.  Damn you're not very bright are you?

259540[/snapback]

I know where she moved but I'm not driving 4 hours to the dentist.

And no, I'm not very bright. <_<

259519[/snapback]

My appointments are scheduled the same way and for the same reason. :doh: