Using existing talent vs. rebuilding

Yet again we are rebuilding the team to fit the schemes of the new head coach, rather than selecting a head coach with the ability to build schemes around the existing talent.

Is there a lack of coaching talent out there that has the ability to design offensive & defensive schemes based on the existing talent?

Do NFL teams prefer coaches that require a rebuild over coaches that have the ability and the talent to design a defense and offense around existing talent?

Are the egos of the NFL head coaches so big that they want to have total control over the offensive and defensive schemes, rather than select and hire the best offensive and defensive coordinators with the ability to design schemes to fit the existing talents of their respective units?

We have suffered through constant setbacks the past 17 years as the team has constantly discarded players and schemes and we had to suffer through yet another 3 years “In Rebuild Hell” every time we hired a new head coach.

Wouldn’t hiring a head coach with the talent and the ability to recognize the strengths of weaknesses of the existing players on the team, and hire a staff that would best allow him to create the schemes that best fit those players and allow them to excel make more sense?

Imagine a draft & a FA where you actually had the luxury of using it to tweak the lineup to make it better, stronger. Rather than to rebuild it to fit a rigid strategy and schemes that the new head coach calls his own and is identified as “his scheme”. Every coach seems to require 3 or 4 drafts to rebuild the team “In His Image”.

Or do NFL teams desire and count on that constant 3-4 pass they get from the fans on delivering a winning product on the field by using that tired old excuse that it takes 3-4 to rebuild?

It sure seems to have been a very successful strategy for almost two decades, and over two different Buffalo NFL ownerships, on how to consistently deliver a sub par product to a gullible audience, and still make a respectable profit.

To the OP...this was the issue with Rex...any rational person, when first hired for the HC job would have looked at how good the D was and kept the DC...there was absolutely no reason to dismantle that D unless you were threatened by the success of Schwartz, and didn't have anything else to hang your hat on if the team didn't run your D...pathetic...I will never forgive Rex for that...and now I have to see his ugly mug every sunday morning if I ever wanna watch Sunday Countdown.

Bills should of went full rebuild mode imo. I would of let Tyrod walk and traded McCoy. All we are doing is setting us up for another 7-9 season. Which will make us miss out on the Top3 QBs in 2018 draft

I wouldn't have minded this for the simple fact that it would have set us up perfectly for 2018 and we could have built the team around the QB we drafted next year...now I'm kinda worried that Whaley will pick some fools gold QB this year, trying to hype up their value to the fan base.

Edited by JaCrispy

Guess we could have kept Rex then if you wanted the same coach??

Explain to me why you seem to think we are rebuilding the team? Most of the players that left were FA, likely if Rex was still here still would have went elsewhere as doubt we'd have matched contracts for say Gilmore and Woods. We'll never make up for the lost of EJ I'm sure. The only FA that I'd like to see come back is Zack Brown and not sure he still won't. We cut Carpenter who many were happy to see, the only names of note that we let go were Corey Grahm and Nikell Robey. The majority of the players on last years roster are still here.

In general terms though yes when you hire a new coach, he brings his coaching style to the team not the other way around and that's true wit hevery team i nthe league that hires someone new. If you don't want ot keep changing players, then you don't change coaches. The Rex hiring was a mistake for many reasons that have nothing to do wit hSunday afternoons, TP realized it and decided to cut his loses now and move on. Was it a set back, yes, but better to do it now than a year or two from now.