Switch to 3-4???

Since the NFL is a copycat league, the current trend is going back to the 3-4 defense. In an article Lenny P talks about how the Pats use guys like Vrabel and McGinest, and that teams are looking for guys like that in the draft (can play DE- OLB). He also mentions how Donahue was very good at selecting guys like Gildon and LLoyd. It got me thinking, that perhaps we let Pat Williams (I don't want to), use Adams or Edwards as the nose, and perhaps get another linebacker because quality LBs are way more common than good DTs (plus cheaper). Perhaps, Kelsay may be athletic enough for that role. Plus since the Bills don't have a dominant pass rusher, I believe it's easier to create pressure with a 3-4 because of the diffeerent blitzes you can use. I know that Pittsburgh just signed their LB foote, so maybe someone like Bell might become available. I was just if people thought the Bills personnel would find this, and what you thought.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/colu..._len&id=2001800

I've always favored the 3-4, personally.......but I think I'd be nervous with Schobel and Kelsay as the ends in that alignment. On the other hand, Bell and Fletcher in the middle with Posey and TKO outside would be pretty nice.......but in the end I go back to the fact that our D is pretty good the way it is.

Not sure off hand if they have use it, but Gray does like to blitz and there would be some creative blitz packages. Plus with some the passing offenses that favor the short passing game, ie Jets and to an extent the Pats, having another LB would could run could really help the defense. Just a thought.

Since the NFL is a copycat league, the current trend is going back to the 3-4 defense.  In an article Lenny P talks about how the Pats use guys like Vrabel and McGinest, and that teams are looking for guys like that in the draft (can play DE- OLB).  He also mentions how Donahue was very good at selecting guys like Gildon and LLoyd.  It got me thinking, that perhaps we let Pat Williams (I don't want to), use Adams or Edwards as the nose, and perhaps get another linebacker because quality LBs are way more common than good DTs (plus cheaper).  Perhaps, Kelsay may be athletic enough for that role.  Plus since the Bills don't have a dominant pass rusher, I believe it's easier to create pressure with a 3-4 because of the diffeerent blitzes you can use.  I know that Pittsburgh just signed their LB foote, so maybe someone like Bell might become available.  I was just if people thought the Bills personnel would find this, and what you thought. 

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/colu..._len&id=2001800

257115[/snapback]

1. we have no one that can play NT (Sam Adams is not a nose tackle)

2. Fletcher is too small - would need to add 2 bigger LBs

3. DEs are too small and will be exposed by lack of push in middle.

It would make sense given the loss of PW to consider this, but Gray runs a modified 46 defense and I doubt he has the experience yet to change.

257137[/snapback]

The guy is on the verge of being a Head Coach and has had a top defense the last 2 years. I don't think anybody can question his experience.

1. we have no one that can play NT (Sam Adams is not a nose tackle)

2. Fletcher is too small - would need to add 2 bigger LBs

3. DEs are too small and will be exposed by lack of push in middle.

257409[/snapback]

:blink: The thought of Fletch getting repeatedly trapped is gruesome.