Lacrosse Gear

That's No Moon

My son decided he wants to try lacrosse again this year. He played 1 year as an 8 year old and is going back to it at 10. This is his second sport (hockey is king) and he's really doing it just for fun, no aspirations/delusions of grandeur. Can anybody give me a recommendation for a decent middie/attack head and shaft as well as a decent defense head and shaft? I'm not sure what he's going to end up playing and I want to be prepared with recommendations either way. With hockey gear I know what's what and can scope out good deals on marked down stuff. With baseball I know what's good, what's bad, and what's recently been made illegal (yet is still sold). I know jack about lacrosse gear so I can't tell what's marked down because it's old stock and what's marked down because it sucks or because it's illegal to use. His helmet still fits and I was able to get some recommendations on gloves and arm pads that I was able to get very cheaply ($25 ea. marked down from considerably more than that). If you're going to respond think good, but cheap. He's not good enough nor invested enough for top end gear.

Lacrosse Monkey seems to have a nice selection of things in the Clearance area but like I said I have no clue. Online reviews are, well, online reviews. Not super helpful and often contradictory.

If he's not fully committed yet, look on Craigslist or eBay for used stuff.

I've looked there. I've had some luck with E-Bay in the past, craiglist is mostly really old really crusty stuff Mom and Dad are getting rid of when the kid goes to college. There are exceptions but that's generally the case I've found. We have a play it again sports nearby and I'm down with that but my bigger issue is I don't know what I'm looking for.

You can drop me in play-it-again or ebay for baseball or hockey stuff and I can come out with gems because I can sort through the crap. I'm lost with lax.

Former colllege lacrosse player and current varsity coach.

Best Att/Mid heads (IMO) are Nike CEO U, Maverik Centrik, STX Duel U, or Epoch Hawk Sequel.

Get a scandium or titanium shaft off of EBay and you got a nice new "twig."

For defense heads....STX Hammer U, Warrior OG Blade, or Brine Clutch 3. Best 3 for defense, IMO.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

Former colllege lacrosse player and current varsity coach.

Best Att/Mid heads (IMO) are Nike CEO U, Maverik Centrik, STX Duel U, or Epoch Hawk Sequel.

Get a scandium or titanium shaft off of EBay and you got a nice new "twig."

For defense heads....STX Hammer U, Warrior OG Blade, or Brine Clutch 3. Best 3 for defense, IMO.

That's tremendously helpful. Thank you. How about a scandium shaft like this?

• 3 weeks later...

My son played throughout high school and now @ University of Iowa (club team). I still get annoying emails from:

TotalLacrosse.com

They are affliated with:

TotalHockey.com

I know they have brick and mortar stores in some areas.

Oh... And I can't wait till he hits me up for more spending money. :-/

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

My son played throughout high school and now @ University of Iowa (club team). I still get annoying emails from:

TotalLacrosse.com

They are affliated with:

TotalHockey.com

Total Lacrosse and Lacrosse Monkey seem to be like the "overstock.com" of lacrosse equipment websites. You can find some great deals. I would just stear clear of the lacrosse heads that are factory strung. Garbage.

Total Lacrosse and Lacrosse Monkey seem to be like the "overstock.com" of lacrosse equipment websites. You can find some great deals. I would just stear clear of the lacrosse heads that are factory strung. Garbage.

Exactly! My son strings his own... Even does the ones for the guys on team who don't have the patience.

Never got into it (stringing lax heads) myself... So he was totally on own to learn it without my crazy intervention! Now, if he needed to be pointed to the bandsaw, that's a differnt story! :-)

I did fix a lax head one time for him... He broke it "shoveling" snow off the field... :-/ but, then I added a heavy steal bar to beater handle and that fixed head... He used it to run sprints with as added weight.

TotalLacrosse.com

They are affliated with:

TotalHockey.com

I get the full gamut of Total emails from acquiring hockey gear. They have a B&M hockey store near me and they do a great job sharpening skates, very well done and consistent as opposed to the LHS near me that are completely hit or miss whether they do even a decent job sharpening. Total is generally a little more expensive than other online shops but, because I get free shipping with a $25 purchase from them they often come out cheaper in the end. I refuse to pay full retail for anything except helmets so I'm scouring online all the time for gear that's a model year or two old. Honestly, does most gear change that much year to year? Of course not, so give me last year's leftovers at a discount. Got a pair of Eagle gloves in his club colors last year for $25 from hockeymonkey. They're great and holding up extremely well after 50 games plus practices. I have a pair of $100 Graf pants up in his closet waiting to be grown into that I got for $5.

I get the full gamut of Total emails from acquiring hockey gear. They have a B&M hockey store near me and they do a great job sharpening skates, very well done and consistent as opposed to the LHS near me that are completely hit or miss whether they do even a decent job sharpening. Total is generally a little more expensive than other online shops but, because I get free shipping with a $25 purchase from them they often come out cheaper in the end. I refuse to pay full retail for anything except helmets so I'm scouring online all the time for gear that's a model year or two old. Honestly, does most gear change that much year to year? Of course not, so give me last year's leftovers at a discount. Got a pair of Eagle gloves in his club colors last year for $25 from hockeymonkey. They're great and holding up extremely well after 50 games plus practices. I have a pair of $100 Graf pants up in his closet waiting to be grown into that I got for $5.

I have been doing the same thing. My son is in his second year of U8 travel hockey. He grows out of his pads like every 3 months. I've learned to stock up on cheaper clearance items in the spring. With the exception of skates and helmets, I have enough brand new equipment stored away right now to last him through U10.

I have been doing the same thing. My son is in his second year of U8 travel hockey. He grows out of his pads like every 3 months. I've learned to stock up on cheaper clearance items in the spring. With the exception of skates and helmets, I have enough brand new equipment stored away right now to last him through U10.

BTW - I picked up a D-Pole for $20 today. Still working on the heads. Silly e-bay people, submit to my offering!!!

With skates - our club did a used equipment sale twice a year (until this year) and I didn't pay more than $10 for skates until this year when I had to break down and buy skates from a store (I still got them at 70% off). I would pick them up two sizes at a time. Upshot is now that my second one is skating I have a veritable treasure trove of skates squirreled away for him to wear.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm trying to string a lax head for the first time by watching a tutorial on stringking.com. I haven't felt this useless and stupid in a really long time. Lol.

If you're willing to shell out another 20-25 bucks, there are all kinds of stringing services on eBay. Ship them your head and choose the type of mesh, color scheme, and shooting strings. They usually can get it back to you within 5 days or so including shipping. PM me if you'd like a recommendation.

Just in case you jack up that string job.... ;)

If you're willing to shell out another 20-25 bucks, there are all kinds of stringing services on eBay. Ship them your head and choose the type of mesh, color scheme, and shooting strings. They usually can get it back to you within 5 days or so including shipping. PM me if you'd like a recommendation.

Just in case you jack up that string job.... ;)

Oh I'm sure it's terrible, I was having a B word of a time with the sidewalls and I'm still not sure they're as good as they could be. It's probably not as bad as I think it is, there's nothing obviously wrong with it (anymore). We have a little shop sort of nearby (Elkton, MD) that I'm sure will be happy to re-do it for me. I'd post a picture of my work but I'll forgo that mockery for now. :bag: