Note to AVP

bleedinblue

I backed up (Bledsoe) for two years and I couldn't sniff the field," said Alex Van Pelt,

Lets see. you also backed up Doug Flutie, Todd Collins and Rob Johnson and couldn't get a sniff of the field then either. It would appear that the talent in front of you was not the issue.

Lets see. you also backed up Doug Flutie, Todd Collins and Rob Johnson and couldn't get a sniff of the field then either.  It would appear that the talent in front of you was not the issue.

254888[/snapback]

Read the whole excerpt. It was in the contaxt of discussing that Bledsoe was "tough as nails," which he certainly is.

Lets see. you also backed up Doug Flutie, Todd Collins and Rob Johnson and couldn't get a sniff of the field then either.  It would appear that the talent in front of you was not the issue.

254888[/snapback]

Just for the record

AVP had 11 starts in 9 seasons (8 of them in 2001)

Shane Matthews has 22 starts in 12 seasons (15 with the Bears 1999-2001)

(7 with the Redskins in 2002)

And JP has none

Anyone expect a Roethlisberger ?

Frank Reich didn't get much playing time behind Kelly either.

First off, AVP was a journeyman backup who is futhering a career in broadcasting/coaching/frontoffice/business/PR/sportsagency. You expect to hear running-down-at-the-mouth from HIM If he says DB was just a pimple in the grand scheme of NFL QBs- then that only diminishes his tubby-bellied career as a second string clipboard-holding mop-up artist.

Bledsoe, for all his warts, knew how to take a lick and like it. :o

JP is not a journeyman backup. Hell, he's not even a journeyman yet.

But I'm sure that all good Bills' fans are wishing JP the best in the upcoming seasons.

It's the noble thing to do. Isn't it?

254888[/snapback]

Van Pelt made the most out of questionable physical talent and he supplanted both Todd Collins and Rob Johnson as starter at times during his career. So he did get a sniff of the field. He also was one of our best recent backups at keeping the team in the game when the starter went down to injury or poor play.

Do you remember the 97 game against Denver when he caused an amazing fourth comeback against the eventual Super Bowl champs in a 6-10 season? How about his TD drive as part of a comeback in the postseason of 95 against the Steelers while Kelly was in the locker room?

I am not sure I understand a Bills fan trashing him as a player. Doughboy was one of the best team players we have had for awhile.

254888[/snapback]

I'll go with "Taking a Quote Out of Context" for $400, Alex.