Season observations, this team is good.

ThrowingFitz

This topic is just another example of the fans thinking the team is good because they know players names. Like Stevie Johnson or Da'Rick Rogers.

Truth is this team from DW down is not that good. Pegs will fix the problem I have no doubt but when you have bad drafts like DW has and mortgage the future like he did on a WR, well you see the results.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This topic is just another example of the fans thinking the team is good because they know players names. Like Stevie Johnson or Da'Rick Rogers.

Truth is this team from DW down is not that good. Pegs will fix the problem I have no doubt but when you have bad drafts like DW has and mortgage the future like he did on a WR, well you see the results.

You are missing the point and your post validates what I am saying. The statistics and rankings prove there are some really good things this organization has done over the past couple seasons. You can either embrace and build, or keep looking for faults until that's all you see.

I liked the hire of Rex but I was wrong about him. I don't even think Rex was Rex and didn't run his own defense but that's another conversation.

Rex just isn't a good HC. It's an incredibly unique talent. And there are several ways to succeed. But you need to be a leader of men, not just their friend. NFL games are so often decided by 2-3 plays. This team was very close to being 11-5 and also very close to being 6-9. The difference is having a good HC, hiring good assistants, and having some luck. There is an argument to be made that because of the injuries this year we really couldn't have done much better. But Rex clearly failed at getting his team ready, and being fundamentally sound, and being disciplined.

I liked what Rex had to say in his first offseason with Buffalo in that being #4 in defense wasn't good enough and as for the playoffs "we're goin"! I really didn't care for the build a bully stuff, though.

If you know me I've been bitching about Ryan's defense and scheme since that week two Patriots game when we all saw the soft pass coverage and no pass rush that allowed Brady to set a Buffalo Bills franchise worst 466 yards passing by a single player. This after 46 years of being in the NFL!

What's scary now is that the very same people that hired Rex Ryan will be hiring the new head coach and we now know that those people didn't do a very thorough evaluation on Ryan because he was the very same undisciplined player's coach in NY and he had lost the team in his final year there.

We saw that lost look on Ryan's face in the two beat downs by the Bills in 2014. After that first game win by Buffalo 42-23 in which the Bills defense forced 6 turnovers by intercepting Geno 3 times after he went 2 of 8 for 5 yards :w00t: Yeah, that's right two of eight yards passing with three Interceptions! Mike Vick replaced Geno and was sacked 4 times with 1 INT and he fumbled 4 times.

And in that first game, Kyle Orton threw 4 passing TD's going 10 of 17 for 238. The Bills run game? Basically, craptastic as they went for only 67 yards on 32 carries. Gee, Rex's defense shut down the run game and was owned by the passing offense...sound familiar?

The second Jets game in 2014 Rex Ryan boasted his team would play 1000% better and yet they were dominated even worse going 38 to 3. Vick sacked 5 times and intercepted once and Geno sacked 2x.

If anyone in the Buffalo Bills front office, Russ Brandon, Doug Whaley or Terry, Kim Pegula had bothered to rewatch those games I highly doubt that they hire Rex Ryan after his final 4-12 season in NY.

It's profoundly sad to think that we Bills fans can expect another few years of losing and no playoffs because the very same people involved in hiring the last few head coaches are still making the decisions. Doug Whaley is "leading" the search for a new HC.

Firstly, I really wish all the negativity around this team would stop. Its not fair to the players, the organization, and the fans that truly love this team. That being said, I want to congratulate the team on a valiant effort this year. I cannot remember watching a full season of Bills football with such great anticipation. Every week this team showed up to play, and last weeks OT loss capped off what I feel was the theme of the season. It was a terrific effort with victory snatched away by a narrow margin. Speculation aside, this team was relevant all year and there is a culture shift happening.

Some pros for the 2016 Bills season:

McCoy matured as a player to represent our organization. I'm not just saying this from a statistic perspective, Shady played with maximum effort every game. He is now truly a Buffalo Bill in my eyes.

Robert Woods is an underrated receiver and I truly hope he gets resigned. So many times the less flashy aspects of the game are over looked. Woods put his body on the line with every block he threw and every over the middle catch he made. This guy plays hard and deserves a spot on the roster.

Our running offense was simply spectacular. This team ran at will on some pretty good defenses. Not only will our running game finish 1st after this weeks game, we will have finished 1st in convincing fashion.

The offensive line has improved dramatically over the past couple years. The run blocking schemes are nothing short of brilliant every game.

Sammy Watkins is spectacular and makes defenses look silly. Get him healthy this off season and get ready to see what this kid can do.

Our pass defense is currently ranked 7th in a passing league. Gilmore and Darby got back to old form around mid season and never looked back. Also considering all the passing rule changes these guys looked pretty good.

Team penalties were drastically reduced. This means our players are not resorting to cheating and showing discipline with their technique.

EJ has been given time to develop behind our starting QB. This was the original plan if you all remember!

Tyrod has proven to be a serviceable quarterback showing flashes of brilliance at times.

Kyle just keeps playing his hardest every game. His work ethic is what should define this team and the city of Buffalo.

I also want to give honorable mention to Lorenzo Alexander, Charles Clay, Felton, and Hughes for showing up every week. I can't remember the last time we had such a deep roster.

The strength of schedule was tough this year. There was never a game I felt like the Bills had no chance and that's saying a lot compared to even a few years ago. A couple bad ref calls, maybe a better ball spot or one less broken tackle and we are in the playoffs. This team has talent on both sides of the ball. Lastly and perhaps most importantly, we have owners that not only want to see the team win like we used to, they are willing to pay staffing and players to get there. Blowing up the organization is what 17 years of frustration will do. I too want my team to win. However, this is a different team than we have had through the drought. Despite the record, this team is a contender and I will wait with great anticipation for the 2017 season the begin.

You are missing the point and your post validates what I am saying. The statistics and rankings prove there are some really good things this organization has done over the past couple seasons. You can either embrace and build, or keep looking for faults until that's all you see.

well lets see. you said a good RB matured? he was already good

The offensive line regressed.

EJ is horribe

TT regressed

Clay was ok but didnt show up every game, mostly due to TTs play.

The team clearly needs a rebuild, badly.

I never really liked the Rex hire. In fact, dropped the Sunday ticket this year because I knew this year would turn out like this. Rex is ok; he gives good press conference; but the vast majority of his HC career has been marked by inconsistent, under achieving, undisciplined teams. In the end, that,s what we had for the last 2 years and I'm glad to see him go.

On the the next. Let's just hope this time they get it right... A good HC.. Who hires 2 good coordinators.. Not one. And not someone who decides the team we have needs to be replaced on a 3 year plan! Other teams have turned it around in one year... Damnit so can the Bills.

I agree with you. When we had Chan, he acted more as the OC and with Rex, he acted more as the DC and both suffered surprisingly. I want a HC like Marrone who will stay off both offense and defense. Like a Coughlin.