December Movies: Rogue One, Passengers, & Assassin's Creed

Mark Vader

• 3 weeks later...

Here are the movies that were released in an exclusive or limited release in December to qualify for the Oscar deadline.

Mark Wahlberg stars in "Patriots Day". An account of Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis's actions in the events leading up to the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing and the aftermath, which includes the city-wide manhunt to find the terrorists behind it. Also starring John Goodman, Kevin Bacon, J.K. Simmons & Michelle Monaghan.

Natalie Portman is, "Jackie". Following the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy fights through grief and trauma to regain her faith, console her children, and define her husband's historic legacy. Also starring Peter Sarsgaard, Greta Gerwig & Billy Crudup.

Michael Keaton is, "The Founder". Struggling salesman Ray Kroc meets Mac and Dick McDonald, co-operators of a burger restaurant in 1950s Southern California. Also starring Nick Offerman, John Carroll Lynch, Linda Cardellini, Laura Dern & Patrick Wilson.

Ben Affleck directs and stars in, "Live By Night". A story set in the Prohibition Era and centered around a group of individuals and their dealings in the world of organized crime. Also starring Elle Fanning, Brendan Gleeson, Chris Messina, Sienna Miller, Zoe Saldana & Chris Cooper.

In "Lion", A five-year-old Indian boy gets lost on the streets of Calcutta, thousands of kilometers from home. He survives many challenges before being adopted by a couple in Australia; 25 years later, he sets out to find his lost family. Starring Dev Patel, Nicole Kidman, David Wenham & Rooney Mara.

In "Hidden Figures", Based on a true story. A team of African-American women provide NASA with important mathematical data needed to launch the program's first successful space missions. Starring Taraji P. Henson, Octavia Spencer, Janelle Monae, Kevin Costner & Kirsten Dunst.

Finally, Adam Driver stars in, "Paterson". A quiet observation of the triumphs and defeats of daily life, along with the poetry evident in its smallest details. Also starring Golshifteh Farahani.

Trailers: No dates as some of these movies are in limited release and still in the process of expanding.

"Jackie": http://www.foxsearchlight.com/jackie/

"The Founder": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1304999449?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_2

"Hidden Figures": http://www.foxmovies.com/movies/hidden-figures

"Live By Night": http://www.livebynight.movie/

"Paterson": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1637856793?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_1

"Lion": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1823716889?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_1

"Patriots Day": http://www.patriotsdayfilm.com/

That's it for now. I'll get the January movies up soon. Until then.....Enjoy!

Really looking forward to seeing Lion.

Also, re patriots day, Do we really need a movie about the Boston marathon bombing? Seems excessive.

It is excessive. It will glorify the militarization of the police forces around the country in hopes of normalizing it.

The fact Peter Berg is directing, who next to Michael Bay is the US military's chosen spokesperson in Hollywood for their films, is evidence of the agenda at play. That's not a diss on Berg's talent, I actually think he's this generation's Michael Mann (who I really like), it's just his last few movies have been very obviously influenced by the financiers (Deep Water Horizon, Lone Survivor, Battleship... now Patriot's Day).

Very interesting re Berg and an agenda. I just never have gotten into any of these types of movies (the 9-11 movies etc), but didn't realize/too naive to realize that there was an agenda with those types of flicks.

By the way, saw that you liked La La Land too. Awesome flick. I have been digging the soundtrack now too.

I really loved La La Land, and I'm not a musical guy. I'm glad you dug it too :beer:

Seriously, any of you gentleman out there who are looking for a good "date night" movie that your lady will enjoy and you won't cringe over, go see La La Land. It's really well done.

As for Berg, the agenda can be subtle but if you look at who financed a lot of his most recent films almost all of them have a heavy portion of the bottom line covered by various US military branches. This is why Berg, like Bay, gets to use "real" US warplanes and ships in their films rather than CGI mock ups. They get excellent access to technical advisers and Bay has even had the USAF fire live rounds into one of his on-location sets for Transformers to "make it look more real".

One of the really interesting things that came out of the Sony leaks a few years ago was how much of an influence certain military think tanks have had on Sony projects, specifically RAND. In fact, Michael Lynton (Sony's CEO) is on the board of trustees for RAND. This is pretty common, and not necessarily nefarious by any stretch of the imagination (writers and directors like to have access to these sorts of institutions for research purposes) -- but in Berg's case it seems like he keeps going back to that well.

Battleship was a 2 hour Navy recruitment movie. Lone Survivor (which I liked) was a very odd pro-war movie (most war movies are anti-war in theme). Deep Water Horizon I didn't see so I can't comment other than what the trailers showed. And Patriot's Day's trailer is just wall to wall propaganda for militarizing our urban police departments.

Really looking forward to seeing Lion.

Also, re patriots day, Do we really need a movie about the Boston marathon bombing? Seems excessive.

Excessive? How so?

It is excessive. It will glorify the militarization of the police forces around the country in hopes of normalizing it.

The fact Peter Berg is directing, who next to Michael Bay is the US military's chosen spokesperson in Hollywood for their films, is evidence of the agenda at play. That's not a diss on Berg's talent, I actually think he's this generation's Michael Mann (who I really like), it's just his last few movies have been very obviously influenced by the financiers (Deep Water Horizon, Lone Survivor, Battleship... now Patriot's Day).

Again, how is it excessive?

Very interesting re Berg and an agenda. I just never have gotten into any of these types of movies (the 9-11 movies etc), but didn't realize/too naive to realize that there was an agenda with those types of flicks.

By the way, saw that you liked La La Land too. Awesome flick. I have been digging the soundtrack now too.

As long as they are interesting and well made movies, then that's all I care about. Lots of movies have agendas, but if you go simply for the entertainment purpose, then it's easy to see past it.

I really loved La La Land, and I'm not a musical guy. I'm glad you dug it too :beer:

Seriously, any of you gentleman out there who are looking for a good "date night" movie that your lady will enjoy and you won't cringe over, go see La La Land. It's really well done.

As for Berg, the agenda can be subtle but if you look at who financed a lot of his most recent films almost all of them have a heavy portion of the bottom line covered by various US military branches. This is why Berg, like Bay, gets to use "real" US warplanes and ships in their films rather than CGI mock ups. They get excellent access to technical advisers and Bay has even had the USAF fire live rounds into one of his on-location sets for Transformers to "make it look more real".

One of the really interesting things that came out of the Sony leaks a few years ago was how much of an influence certain military think tanks have had on Sony projects, specifically RAND. In fact, Michael Lynton (Sony's CEO) is on the board of trustees for RAND. This is pretty common, and not necessarily nefarious by any stretch of the imagination (writers and directors like to have access to these sorts of institutions for research purposes) -- but in Berg's case it seems like he keeps going back to that well.

Battleship was a 2 hour Navy recruitment movie. Lone Survivor (which I liked) was a very odd pro-war movie (most war movies are anti-war in theme). Deep Water Horizon I didn't see so I can't comment other than what the trailers showed. And Patriot's Day's trailer is just wall to wall propaganda for militarizing our urban police departments.

I'm not that big on seeing "La La Land", even though I have heard how good it is. Emma Stone has a tendency to be annoying, but not all the time.