The pressure on Pat Williams

Kelly the Dog

Something that is rarely if ever discussed when it comes to contract negotations for professional athletes is the pressure from other players around the league, especially at their specific positions, to get as much as you possibly can out of a contract, regardless of what you may want, where you may wish to play, etc. If Pat Williams decided to take 2 million a year from the Bills when other teams would have paid him 4 million, in effect he is totally screwing his fellow NFL defensive tackles because 31 other GMs are going to use Pat Williams contract against all other DTs. They will say to the agent if a player as good as Pat Williams is only worth 2 million, why do you think you're worth 3 million, he's better than you. Don't think this doesn't weigh on players and agents minds. Who wants the rest of the league to hate you for what they consider taking money out of their pockets? Players have somewhat of a duty to other players, as well as their families, to get what is the going rate and what is fair, and to NOT take or ask for less even though you would accept it. There is a lot of pressure on these guys, and it makes sense. It's the way the system works.

That said, there is no problem whatsoever with Pat Williams saying that he wants 5 million a year even if he eventually settles on 3 million. It's all just negotiation, especially before free agency even starts. It means zero. He would be dumb to not wait it out, knowing the Bills and TD want him and are willing to pay but not overpay for him. He would be just plain stupid to say I want to sign with the Bills and don't want as big a contract as I can get.

I posted this earlier to day on Rudy's thread.

The whole Pat Williams thing to me kinda urks me in a way. But, keep in mind that all players/agents start with a high asking price at first. They play the market for awhile to see what they can get. Sure enough that 5 million a year will drop down significantly with in the next few days. He realizes how much Sam makes and has plenty of friends in Buffalo. He wants to be a Bill. And I believe he will be a Bill next year.

There is a reason why the Pats are soo sucessful. The reasons being their players want to win and they're not all about the money. They take pay cuts when asked to and have years of experience together because of this. Not to mention the coaching. When teams/players realize that this is a clear cut blueprint for suceess in the NFL they will remain competative for years to come.

On the other hand - a bunch of Pats players have signed contract below there market value to remain on a winning team.  Do the other players in the NFL hate the Pats for that or for winning 3 of the last 4 superbowls?   :w00t:

253170[/snapback]

They really weren't star players in contract years and considered one of the best at their positions like Phat Pat is. Teddy Bruschi was the only one and his play has elevated the last couple years. He never would have signed a huge contract with another team before he played on the Pats, and even after his first two seasons. His stock just soared after last and this year. The other stars and name players on the Pats have large contracts. Brady, Law, Colvin, (soon to be) Dillon, etc. I wasn't talking about excellent role players, and the difference of a few hundred thousand. I meant name guys, pro bowlers or pro bowl types who will garner multi-millions on the open market.

You have a valid point, however, I think that it's a least partially offset by another aspect of him accepting less to stay, which is that it takes him off the market.

Salaries are determined by supply & demand.

IF PW was on the market, if all other factors being equal, teams would be foolish to pay a playing of inferior ability more than a better player. However, since he is off the market, that removes one more player of the supply of quality DTs. This means that the remaining teams that are interested in DTs, will have to pay more for what is out there.

football is a biz and i expect the players to try and get all they can in the, at most, less then 10 years in the league that guys last. f the other players or union, and the teams for that matter - they dont have to live w/ themselves. i think pat should do whats best for him and his family.

that being said - he knows we are on our way up and will be winning. he likes buff. factor that all in and i hope he stays for a sum that doesnt kill our cap.

Could point about the pressure KtD, but it should be recognized that dollars will lessen when a player is deemed 'past his prime'. Is Phat Pat past his prime? I dunno, but probably.

253195[/snapback]

I'd say he IS.

At 32, a DT is defeinitely o the down-slope, Sam included.

It's a shame we don't have any hi-quality young DT on the team.

Exactly. And football is especially different from other sports because the only thing that is guaranteed is the signing bonus and the first year's salary. After that, anything can happen. If the team needs to cut salary - WHACK... if you suffer a career-threatening injury - WHACK.

For that reason and that reason alone, Pat Williams makes perfect sense looking for the best deal he possibly can. At the same time, he has made no secret of his desire to stay in Buffalo. He loves the community and has made a home there. But given this is his last chance at a long-term deal, he has the right to seek the maximum he can get.

My feeling is that he is trying to fish offers from other teams so he can take it to TD and ask for something "fair." Not necessarily matching the ridiculous offers, but something fair.

Pat will definitely give the Bills the last chance -- which as a fan is all I can ask.

Antoine Winfield had no such interest as a free agent.

Something that is rarely if ever discussed when it comes to contract negotations for professional athletes is the pressure from other players around the league, especially at their specific positions, to get as much as you possibly can out of a contract, regardless of what you may want, where you may wish to play, etc. If Pat Williams decided to take 2 million a year from the Bills when other teams would have paid him 4 million, in effect he is totally screwing his fellow NFL defensive tackles because 31 other GMs are going to use Pat Williams contract against all other DTs. They will say to the agent if a player as good as Pat Williams is only worth 2 million, why do you think you're worth 3 million, he's better than you. Don't think this doesn't weigh on players and agents minds. Who wants the rest of the league to hate you for what they consider taking money out of their pockets? Players have somewhat of a duty to other players, as well as their families, to get what is the going rate and what is fair, and to NOT take or ask for less even though you would accept it. There is a lot of pressure on these guys, and it makes sense. It's the way the system works.

That said, there is no problem whatsoever with Pat Williams saying that he wants 5 million a year even if he eventually settles on 3 million. It's all just negotiation, especially before free agency even starts. It means zero. He would be dumb to not wait it out, knowing the Bills and TD want him and are willing to pay but not overpay for him. He would be just plain stupid to say I want to sign with the Bills and don't want as big a contract as I can get.

253151[/snapback]