[OT] Damn...just found a black widow in my yard

Rubes

I have encountered two black widows in my yard in the last two months. Out of curiosity, where did your wife find it? They usually like to keep out of the way of humans. With me, I saw one in the crawl space under the house and the other was above the storm drain in the street.

Wife called me over, freaked out by a large black spider she almost touched...looked suspicious, so I prodded it a bit with a stick and got it to flip over...

Here's what I saw

Damn, that'll make me think twice next time I do yardwork...

18997[/snapback]

K I L L I T !!!!!!!!! :w00t:

They are extremely docile.  I got a whole bunch of them in my backyard.  They are quite common in Southern California.  No worries at all.

18998[/snapback]

Ditto. It took some getting used to, but I've found three so far in my back yard. If you're bit, head to the hospital, but keep in mind that according to some research I've done, there hasn't been a human killed by a black widow bite in over 10 years.

They're also quite yummy batter dipped and deep fried. The trick is getting them in the batter.

where do you live? OJ's former house????

thank you thank you, i am here all week, please try the veal and remember to tip your waiter or waitress.

:w00t:

Wife called me over, freaked out by a large black spider she almost touched...looked suspicious, so I prodded it a bit with a stick and got it to flip over...

Here's what I saw

Damn, that'll make me think twice next time I do yardwork...

18997[/snapback]

Yeah, they stay out of the way of humans for the most part. But this one was hanging out in the yard hose.

The bites can be painful, but pretty much the only people who die from the bite are those who are hypersensitive to the venom, which is rare.

Yeah, they stay out of the way of humans for the most part. But this one was hanging out in the yard hose.

The bites can be painful, but pretty much the only people who die from the bite are those who are hypersensitive to the venom, which is rare.

19015[/snapback]

Widows are pretty common in these parts too...But ,man that is one big B word.

I gotta say, though, Sue...the red hourglass on their underbelly is cool as crap, and if you get to watch him mess around with his web, they are uber-cool. Creepy, but cool.

19020[/snapback]

Not something I could watch that wont get me sick to my nervous stomach :w00t:

How'd you make out down there? Everything OK ?

19043[/snapback]

Power outages once and a while, tree limbs flying around, 60 MPH gusts, stevestojan-load of rain. Hangin in there. :(

Right now it looks like the eye is going to pass right over me.

Great :w00t:

thanks for asking CL :o