The defensive "quality start"

As many here know, a quality start in MLB is 6 or more innings pitched and no more than 3 earned runs. I was thinking about this in relation to football, and I think that if you hold an opponent to under 20 points, that's the equivalent of a quality start. Also, since unearned runs don't count against a pitcher, defensive scores by the other side shouldn't count either. Is giving up 18 or 19 points great? No, but neither is a 4.50 ERA over 6 innings. But in both cases, it almost always puts you in position to win games. So far, the Bills D has 4 of these "quality starts" in 5 games, and as it so happens they're 5th in points allowed per game.

Just throwing it out there.

As many here know, a quality start in MLB is 6 or more innings pitched and no more than 3 earned runs. I was thinking about this in relation to football, and I think that if you hold an opponent to under 20 points, that's the equivalent of a quality start. Also, since unearned runs don't count against a pitcher, defensive scores by the other side shouldn't count either. Is giving up 18 or 19 points great? No, but neither is a 4.50 ERA over 6 innings. But in both cases, it almost always puts you in position to win games. So far, the Bills D has 4 of these "quality starts" in 5 games, and as it so happens they're 5th in points allowed per game.

Just throwing it out there.

That's a pretty good way to look at it. When we had given up 19 points, and there were about 4 minutes left in the game and we were up by four points, I said to the guys I was watching the game with that this is the difference between a good and not so good defense. If you stop them here and we win, you end up allowing under 20 points and you stopped them when you had to with the game on the line. If you give it up here, you gave up 26 or so points and couldn't stop them when you had to and it will be a bad game. We got the INT and then scored again so it turned out to be a good defensive game (especially considering we gave up 19 and scored a pick six on them). But that 19 points is a quality start and stat.

That's a pretty good way to look at it. When we had given up 19 points, and there were about 4 minutes left in the game and we were up by four points, I said to the guys I was watching the game with that this is the difference between a good and not so good defense. If you stop them here and we win, you end up allowing under 20 points and you stopped them when you had to with the game on the line. If you give it up here, you gave up 26 or so points and couldn't stop them when you had to and it will be a bad game. We got the INT and then scored again so it turned out to be a good defensive game (especially considering we gave up 19 and scored a pick six on them). But that 19 points is a quality start and stat.

Yup -- agreed! Btw, I thought the Rams had an exceptionally good offensive game plan yesterday. It was well executed for the most part too. It was an all-around good game.

Yup -- agreed! Btw, I thought the Rams had an exceptionally good offensive game plan yesterday. It was well executed for the most part too. It was an all-around good game.

We gave them the 7 yard pass all day when we really didn't have to. I would have preferred that Gilmore and Darby and Robey press a little more. Keesum stinks. He's not even Fitzy good, so we were just waiting for him to throw the bad INT and SHO nuff he did. I understood the strategy though because he was eventually going to make mistakes. Gurley ran very hard and was a load to bring down but he still only got about 3 ypc. This defense is good. Getting Dareus back should help a lot, too, obviously. Washington had a very good game. I like Worthy. Bryant is okay. Kyle had a quiet good game. Alexander was ridiculous, even setting the edge on run downs. Austin is super fast, obviously, and hurt the Bills in a minor was but was the only threat.