John Miller's progress, how has he looked?

Cover 1

Mills and Miller played pretty well together to end the season and in preseason.

I'm not feeling the Miller love. I thought last year there was something of a false positive wrt to the greatness of the Bills OL because teams were playing it safe on the DL to prevent the kind of daggers that Taylor was able to drive into the center of the Titan's D with his huge, game changing scrambles.

I've been interested to see what opposing defenses do this year to counter the Bills field stretching running game/deep ball combo.

The Redskins matchup was of particular interest to me because the Bills put zippers all over that Redskin D with big runs and deep passes last year.

The Skins D came out aggressive at the LOS and roughed up Tyrod and jammed up the run game in the process.

Generally a big play runner at QB takes some of the starch out of a pass rush but when the options are A) Watkins B)leading running game in NFL C)Tyrod running or dump passes to Clay/RB.........maybe the best option is C.

At least in the process you can rough up........and possibly injure that QB.

Edited by #BADOL

I'm not feeling the Miller love. I thought last year there was something of a false positive wrt to the greatness of the Bills OL because teams were playing it safe on the DL to prevent the kind of daggers that Taylor was able to drive into the center of the Titan's D with his huge, game changing scrambles.

I've been interested to see what opposing defenses do this year to counter the Bills field stretching running game/deep ball combo.

The Redskins matchup was of particular interest to me because the Bills put zippers all over that Redskin D with big runs and deep passes last year.

The Skins D came out aggressive at the LOS and roughed up Tyrod and jammed up the run game in the process.

Generally a big play runner at QB takes some of the starch out of a pass rush but when the options are A) Watkins B)leading running game in NFL C)Tyrod running or dump passes to Clay/RB.........maybe the best option is C.

At least in the process you can rough up........and possibly injure that QB.

we are not game planning yet bado

we are not game planning yet bado

And yet, the opponents haven't been serving the customary vanilla on D.

In his limited amount of playing time Taylor taken some big hits this preseason. He was able to beat one blitz for a big play to Charles Clay but if you are a DC looking at last years film you see a QB who was given A LOT of time and space to let his receivers run their routes and was able to play a lot of pitch and catch outside the hashes and deep.........throws that subsequently resulted in very few turnovers. In the run game, the fear of the big pass lead to lighter boxes and the OL was able to get into their blocks.

Defenses know that they can't just allow themselves to get spread horizontally or try to beef up against the run game. That plays right into what the Bills and Tyrod have proven they can do.

What they haven't seen the Bills prove is whether Tyrod can take a beating, or throw over the middle, or throw blitz beating hot routes with anticipation.

And yet, the opponents haven't been serving the customary vanilla on D.

In his limited amount of playing time Taylor taken some big hits this preseason. He was able to beat one blitz for a big play to Charles Clay but if you are a DC looking at last years film you see a QB who was given A LOT of time and space to let his receivers run their routes and was able to play a lot of pitch and catch outside the hashes and deep.........throws that subsequently resulted in very few turnovers. In the run game, the fear of the big pass lead to lighter boxes and the OL was able to get into their blocks.

Defenses know that they can't just allow themselves to get spread horizontally or try to beef up against the run game. That plays right into what the Bills and Tyrod have proven they can do.

What they haven't seen the Bills prove is whether Tyrod can take a beating, or throw over the middle, or throw blitz beating hot routes with anticipation.

Im not disputing any of that....but non of these things that have happened have been a result of our RG's play

He is saying that the passive defensive game plans against us made Miller look better than he is...

Precisely.

In the spring of 2015 I was vocal about wanting the unknown Tyrod Taylor to win the QB job because it's easy to forget that Wood was awful in 2014, Incognito had been out of football and John Miller was a rookie.

Doug Flutie made Jerry Ostroski a very wealthy man back in the day. The impact of a dangerous running QB on the interior OL can be huge.

Interior rush is the easiest to identify and least likely to yield results for the D against a mobile QB.

Beside a few inches in height the big difference between Flutie and Tyrod is that Tyrod can really throw the ball deep with ease and accuracy.

Trying to contain him allows him time to make, safe but high yielding throws.

Fwiw, Tyrod took a wicked hit from a backside blitz the other night that he did not see coming AT ALL.

If you are a DC, forcing Tyrod to make short, hurried throws makes sense.

Precisely.

In the spring of 2015 I was vocal about wanting the unknown Tyrod Taylor to win the QB job because it's easy to forget that Wood was awful in 2014, Incognito had been out of football and John Miller was a rookie.

Doug Flutie made Jerry Ostroski a very wealthy man back in the day. The impact of a dangerous running QB on the interior OL can be huge.

Interior rush is the easiest to identify and least likely to yield results for the D against a mobile QB.

Beside a few inches in height the big difference between Flutie and Tyrod is that Tyrod can really throw the ball deep with ease and accuracy.

Trying to contain him allows him time to make, safe but high yielding throws.

Fwiw, Tyrod took a wicked hit from a backside blitz the other night that he did not see coming AT ALL.

If you are a DC, forcing Tyrod to make short, hurried throws makes sense.

Number one rushing attack in the NFL last season......Miller gets credit for being a part of that line.

I am gonna say that I would have liked to see Miller better last season because the rep on him was that he was extremely powerful.....once he locked onto a defender it was over. I saw:

- A player that played hurt the majority of the season.....a high ankle sprain for a large man like that is know joke for a multitude of reasons.

- While you could see a country strong type player....technicque work was needed....in essence? He was a rookie.

- The death of his mom might have come into play.

Also lets not discount that his OL coach was suspended for several weeks and that could have also come into play

These are all excuses.....performance is what matters.....but he looks better to me this year. Mills isnt very good at RT next to him. Really would have liked to see a upgrade to Mills in the offseason.