Speaking of unions, the evilest of all unions...

...are those frakin' teachers unions. Left-wing by nature, the teachers unions have no problem shutting down a school district to get their teachers pay raises even if they've done little to deserve it. And they push all those stupid liberal programs and teaching philosophies onto the kids...

Teachers unions represent their members, not the children

By Dr. ANTHONY PASTELIS

FOR YEARS, the myth that the teachers unions speak for parents and students has been perpetrated upon the American public. The news media contribute to this myth in citing union leaders as credible sources whenever elected officials discuss education issues.

Gov. John Lynch embraced the teacher union educational agenda in his campaign. The union endorsed and spoke fondly of his candidacy. The media reported that Gov. Lynch’s plan would be good for education.

Wrong. What the media should have report was: “Teacher union bosses support Lynch education plan” and then investigate exactly why. What’s in it for them and their members? For some reason, the tradition of investigative journalism stops at the teacher union hall doors.

Like any organized labor leader, teacher union bosses speak only for their members, with concern for members’ pay, working conditions and lifetime job security — and not in the best interest of students or parents.

The American Federation of Teachers (AFT) is the nation’s oldest teachers union, founded in 1916. Its longtime president, the late Albert Shanker, was quoted in 1985 as saying, “When school children start paying union dues, that’s when I’ll start representing the interests of school children.”

The National Education Association (NEA) is the nation’s largest teachers union, with some 2.7 million members. The word ‘union’ appears nowhere in its name. But the NEA is the among the nation’s most influential labor unions. It is active as a promoter and lobbyist for a variety of leftist causes, few having anything to do with education, including statehood for the District of Columbia, reparations to African Americans and creating a national holiday for Cesar Chavez.

Teacher's Unions Leave All The Children Behind

I totally agree - even though I see the point for some unions - the teachers union is out of control. At one time teachers were woefully underpaid - but the tide has turned 180 degrees.

The biggest problem is the older ones who know they can get away with anything and not have to answer to anyone - particularly the parents.

The American Federation of Teachers (AFT) is the nation’s oldest teachers union, founded in 1916. Its longtime president, the late Albert Shanker, was quoted in 1985 as saying, “When school children start paying union dues, that’s when I’ll start representing the interests of school children.”

I worked for AFT for three years. That statement is an entirely accurate representation of them. The NEA's a little better...if only for the simple fact that they can't be any worse.

It is active as a promoter and lobbyist for a variety of leftist causes, few having anything to do with education, including statehood for the District of Columbia, reparations to African Americans and creating a national holiday for Cesar Chavez.

A national holiday? for that dude? I mean he was a good boxer and all, but what is next? Perhaps a holiday for Mel Stottlemyre's birthday?