Good news on Henry trade front

d_wag

hasselback has been signed and alexander will be tagged.........

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/spor...461_hawk22.html

who said the free agent market would be "flooded" with RB's, driving down henry's value??

alexander -- tagged

rudi -- tagged

edge -- i would be shocked if he doesn't get one as well

henry is the best back on the market.........

It's really a push though.  As a team tags a player, true it is one less back on the market, but it is also one less team needing a back.

248109[/snapback]

not necessarly.......

if cincy let rudi go they could have turned to perry as their #1, negating their need for a true starter.......

same goes for seattle with morris........

But then Rudi is on the market.

248129[/snapback]

Which in turn would mean Rudy on market and Cinci not in the market for a RB with perry....Which means the tag actually helps our situation...One less RB on the market...

DWags point....

But then Rudi is on the market.

248129[/snapback]

if cincy let rudi go and turned to perry as their starter, it would hurt henry's trade value........

rudi would be a more appealing option to other teams and the bengals would not be in the market for someone of henry's status.......

see? just because a guy is tagged does not "make it a push" because if they replace internally you have just added a back to the market without creating a space for henry to go........basically you reduce our options by one team......

Which in turn would mean Rudy on market and Cinci not in the market for a RB with perry....Which means the tag actually helps our situation...One less RB on the market...

DWags point....

248137[/snapback]

What?

The less people that need a back hurts are situation. If Rudy is on the market then there are two, but that means Cinci needs a starter.

There is a limited number of starters and a limited number of starting jobs.

Some would argue Lamont Jordan is the best RB avail too

248135[/snapback]

Yea Jet fans and Bill in NYC....

Bottom line Lamont has been behind the best back in the league...and shows potential when he gets his oppurtunity....but he hasnt proved much yet....

Right now...better then Henry....NOPE!

Having said that, I think he will be an excellent back in this league...I also think Henry will have a great year in Arizona next year :P

hasselback has been signed and alexander will be tagged.........

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/spor...461_hawk22.html

who said the free agent market would be "flooded" with RB's, driving down henry's value??

alexander -- tagged

rudi -- tagged

edge -- i would be shocked if he doesn't get one as well

henry is the best back on the market.........

248092[/snapback]

Even if one was to accept the premise that Henry is the best back on the market, our glee and expectations should still be tempered by the fact that Faulk in his prime cost a 2nd and a 5th, and Dillon went for a second.

There is simply no way that he compares to either of them. I am holding out against hope for the Shelton deal.

What? 

The less people that need a back hurts are situation.  If Rudy is on the market then there are two, but that means Cinci needs a starter. 

248141[/snapback]

What they are saying is that Cincy would not be a starter because Perry would become their starter.

What? 

The less people that need a back hurts are situation.  If Rudy is on the market then there are two, but that means Cinci needs a starter. 

248141[/snapback]

from post #3 in this thread:

"if cincy let rudi go they could have turned to perry as their #1, negating their need for a true starter......."

that's the point - they might not be in the market for a starter if they decided to let rudi go

I'd agree with that... I'd much rather have Jordan than Henry.

The Jets are making a big mistake if they let him go. :P

248149[/snapback]

how do you suggest they keep him? you think they can give him the type of contract it would take to get him to stick around as a backup?

i don't think the jets have a choice in this one.......are you suggesting they cut martin?

The thing that makes Henry the most attractive back on the market is he is not a huge cap hit. A team like AZ can trade a guy they no longer covet, pick up Henry,

use him on a trial basis. If they have success they can extend him after he has proven himself. You take Lamont Jordan and he'll want large $$$ with large bonus without having ever carrying the full load in the NFL. Jordan is a higher risk.

how do you suggest they keep him? you think they can give him the type of contract it would take to get him to stick around as a backup?

i don't think the jets have a choice in this one.......are you suggesting they cut martin?

248157[/snapback]

It depends on what else the jets do. if they keep Abraham and say, sign Mason, Im not sure the Jets will have the cap room to keep Jordan. But the jets are pretty far under the cap aren't they?

248157[/snapback]

It's a very, very tough call, but if push came to shove,

I would keep Jordan over CMart...

all depends on the cap consequences of moving Martin off the roster.

It depends on what else the jets do.  if they keep Abraham and say, sign Mason, Im not sure the Jets will have the cap room to keep Jordan.  But the jets are pretty far under the cap aren't they?

248170[/snapback]

jets are around 10M under after tagging abraham.......however, they also have other free agents they need to resign/replace:

becht -- TE

mckenzie -- RT

ferguson -- DT

carter -- backup QB

i don't see room for them to give lamont the contract it would take to keep him (long-term deal at 3-5M per year)........and i don't see why he'd want to take a contract from them anyway knowing he would be backing up martin for at least one more year.......he can be a starter somewhere, and now is his chance.......

i don't find fault in the jets for this at all......it's not like they can just cut martin.........

It's a very, very tough call, but if push came to shove,

I would keep Jordan over CMart...

all depends on the cap consequences of moving Martin off the roster.

248175[/snapback]

i don't know the exact numbers, but it must be substantial.......

he got a 10M bonus in '02 on an 8 year deal, and then another 3M in a roster bonus in '03........i'm not sure how much of that 13M has hit the cap, but i bet only half at best.......it would defanitely hurt them more on the cap to deal him then to keep him.......

i don't see how trading cmart and keeping lamont would make any salary cap sense for them.........your talking about a 10-12M cap hit at the running back position alone, which would mean they wouldn't be able to address other positions.........

It's really a push though.  As a team tags a player, true it is one less back on the market, but it is also one less team needing a back.

There are more than a few teams looking for a new RB. That does NOT include teams who are franchising their top RB's. However by franchising them instead of letting them hit the market, it severely restricts the number of those aforementioned teams from going after them, since it would cost a 1st rounder plus a ton of money. Basically it makes trading a 2nd rounder for Henry at $1.25M this year a HUGE bargain.

However this could all be moot if the trade of Henry for Shelton goes through. And as was mentioned, if McNally thought enough of him that the Bills gave Shelton a physical, it's even BETTER than getting a 2nd rounder.

Here is the update after listening to John Clayton this morning on ESPN Radio.

Hasselback to get a new contract signed, therefore the Seahawks franchise Alexander. Ryan Diehm has been signed to a long term contract meaning the Colts will franchise Edgerin James.

The free agent running back pool now comes down to Lamont Jordan and a both of nobodies.

The value for Travis just went up as Oakland, Miami and Arizona are all in need of running backs.

The Dolphins probably go after Cedric Benson as the 2nd pick in the draft, the Buccaneers will go after Williams of Auburn with the 5th pick in the draft and the Raiders will likely sign Lamont Jordan.

The probability of a Travis Henry for LJ Shelton deal is now very high. This would allow the Cardinals to select Alex Smith with the 8th pick in the draft.