Josh Stamer

OnTheRocks

This appears to be a situation where the coaches like Josh, and they did make it a point to give him some playing time.

Personally, I really like the kid. He is a demon on special teams, and did have a pick while on mop-up duty.

I believe that if he gets a chance, Josh will be a valueable contributor to the Bills for many years. One has to admire his effort and dedication. He is also one tough SOB.

With Posey playing a central role it is simply a fact that our D was statistically one of the most productive in the league. He's not Fletcher or Spikes, but given that the D seems quite effective with him and he is not paid like Posey or Spikes I am more than happy to have him be pushed on the field by Stamer, Crowell, Haggan and a late round LB draft pick this year. However, I have no problem with him keeping his position if none of these players prove good on the field enough to take it away.

The question is whether Stamer is good enough. I agree the answer is probably not. He's been great on ST but I see nothing from him in his brief stints as a position player that makes me think he pushes Posey for the job and he has contributed enough to a great ST unit that having him focus on this as his contribution to the Bills seems pretty reasonable.

it's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it... and that is disagree with the consensus that Stamer can't replace Posey.

bull sh--!!! Stamer is ready to takeover for Posey (with conditions, keep reading). Who isn't?? What the hell has Posey done? Nothing, zero, nada, squat!!! At least Stamer is aggressive and a huge contributor on special teams... and that INT late in the game with the 49ers showed major league athletic ability. The only reason Posey is in there at all is to cover up a weakness at LDE. Posey doubles as both LB and a 5th defensive lineman, if you will. If we have an above average DE on the left side, then Posey becomes a liability and it would be more valuable to have a speed type LB under those circumstances.

Yeah... Stamer can be a starting outside LB, but not unless we have a LDE that can keep offensive lineman from getting into the 2nd tier and wiping out the LBs. Kelsay and Denney have shown flashes, but neither has shown any consistency or the ability to command more than just average attention from offensive lineman.

i don't know if he can push Posey or not. and i don't like comparing him to other players in the league but i look at Stamer and I think, what if he is another Antonio Pierce? Pierce was "just" a SPT guy too....until he got the chance to play every down.

He's certainly a much tougher and more physical player than Posey. And for that reason alone I think he deserves a fair shot to compete for the starting job.

The only problem I have with him is that he is so fearless that he sometimes attacks a bad gap and takes himself out of the action.

If somebody can work with him on reading his keys and holding his water until it's time to go, I think at worst he'd be a lateral move.

Cya

I like Stamer a lot. I just don't think he's as good overall as Posey. And I honestly don't feel the position warrants a replacement. Posey is unspectacular but solid on a game to game basis. He doesn't carry a large salary and doesn't make many mistakes out there. I see Stamer succeeding more as a MLB in a 4-3 as well. I'm worrying about LG, TE, QB, K, and backup RB before I even think defense this off-season.

bull sh--!!!  Stamer is ready to takeover for Posey (with conditions, keep reading).  Who isn't??  What the hell has Posey done? Nothing, zero, nada, squat!!!  At least Stamer is aggressive and a huge contributor on special teams... and that INT late in the game with the 49ers showed major league athletic ability.  The only reason Posey is in there at all is to cover up a weakness at LDE. Posey doubles as both LB and a 5th defensive lineman, if you will.  If we have an above average DE on the left side, then Posey becomes a liability and it would be more valuable to have a speed type LB under those circumstances.

247845[/snapback]

Well, I disagree with your conditions as I think the record show that Posey did more than the nothind, zero, nada, squat you accuse him or producing and the facts of the recprd show this:

1. He started 16 games for the #2 ranked D in the league, The D produced good stats this season and he played a critical role in it. This does not sound like nothing, zero, diddly or whatever your rant said. Even if you want to make the case that the D failed to lead this team to playoffs with giving up 100 yards rushing to Pitts scrubs there is a long way from falling a game short of the playoffs to doing nothings, nada etc. Even if you want to join Simon in stating he turned the wrong way often, had pass coverage issues, and weak application of strength it should not be hard to also site specific plays where the bad plays you saw Posey make resulted in big gains consistently or lost us games that ruined the season. I look forward to seeing how his play caused Nate Clements to allow Jimmy Smith to beat Clements or made the refs fail to give TH a TD they later admitted they made a mistake on against Oakland. You simply overclaim in your argument against Posey looking at the record on this point.

2. He has started 32 consecutive games in a row, this is an important contribution to a team and adds up to far more than nothing, zip, nada, when it is still arguable whether any of the back-up LBs are ready to start in 2005. Clearly, they were not ready in 2003, probably were not ready in 2004 and arguably are not ready in 2004.

3. He did produce in 2004 registering 9 tackles in one game, 8 in another and 6 on several occaisions. He finished 6th in tackles 5 behind 5th place Clements on this statistically productive unit (again a bit more than the nothing you claim even if you want to fault him for not matching Pro Bowler Spikes or D captain and leading tackler Fletcher).

4. Mention of the other two LBs raises a crtical off the field point about Posey his cap hit pales in comparison to Spikes or Posey. Gid he produce as well as them? No. Is he paid at a level that demands this type of production. No as well.

5. He was signed as a potential sack master with the 8 he produced for Texas in their 3-4. He failed to produce as a sackmaster for thr Bills producing a good but not great 5.5 sacks in his first year for the Bills. This number dropped to a mere 1 last year. However, focusing on this individual point should not be allowed to obscure the fact that he D improved to lead the league in sacks in a D which utilized Posey in the method Gray used him. Again it is hard to give him credit for nada when he consistenly played a key and productive role in a D which produced.

All that being sai does this mean Posey should simply be handed the job with no competition. On the contrary, Stamer and any other OLB ahould be given a shot to beat him out. Even though Pesey's production far exceeds the nada, nothing, zilch you him credit for he should compete every year and the dood showing on ST merits Stamer a shot, However, it is simply incorrect to assume that ST production easily translates into position production. It is also false to claim Posey was a zero when he was a big part of a productive D last year and racked up a lot of tackles, tackled very well in a couple of games and produced a couple of turnovers, and using Stamer as a position player raises at least mentioning who his replacement may be on ST (who knows suddenly you may become a Posey advocate or believe in Stamer so much that you see double-duty as no problem for him.

Stamer should be given a shot wrest the job from Posey on the field (perhaps the best arguments for this are the tackles made a back-up against Pitt and his INT last year), but overall assuming he cap make what it is a prettu big jump from ST to starting (it sounds like the Coy Wire usage mistake to me all over again) , assumimg that Posey cannot return to the sack level he produced his first year, or assummg that the D was not productive with him playing a consistent role in it last year was not important all seem like mistakes to me.

it's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it... and that is disagree with the consensus that Stamer can't replace Posey.

bull sh--!!!  Stamer is ready to takeover for Posey (with conditions, keep reading).  Who isn't??  What the hell has Posey done? Nothing, zero, nada, squat!!!  At least Stamer is aggressive and a huge contributor on special teams... and that INT late in the game with the 49ers showed major league athletic ability.  The only reason Posey is in there at all is to cover up a weakness at LDE. Posey doubles as both LB and a 5th defensive lineman, if you will.  If we have an above average DE on the left side, then Posey becomes a liability and it would be more valuable to have a speed type LB under those circumstances.

Yeah... Stamer can be a starting outside LB, but not unless we have a LDE that can keep offensive lineman from getting into the 2nd tier and wiping out the LBs.  Kelsay and Denney have shown flashes, but neither has shown any consistency or the ability to command more than just average attention from offensive lineman.

247845[/snapback]

I've looked at Stamer on ST on a tape of the Jets game in Buffalo and the Cards game and he's impressive. I dissapointed in Jeff Posey but I'm just not sure if Stamer would be better. I'll say this in that Stamer has a nastiness and has more aggression than Posey but your right the No 1 priority on this defense in the offseason should be finding a real LDE who can rush the QB. I like Kelsey but he does not get to the QB enough at this point in his career but that can change at any time.