(OT) The age old question of...

duey

Do you think that race car drivers are athletes?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that race car drivers are athletes?

• Yes
    • No
    • Couldn't care less. I don't even think its a sport.

I have this discussion with friends and coworkers all the time, and the opinions are generally split.

My answer is no. I'm not saying that driving a race car isn't demanding, but I just don't consider driving a car in a circle for three hours an athletic feat.

Just like I don't think jockeys are athletes either.

Fire away my NASCAR-loving bretheren!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this answer is two fold. I voted yes, but I don't think that racing is a "sport". I would challenge anyone to drive those cars around and deal with the heat and exhaustion they endure over 500 miles. They are all in great shape. I do however have a hard time considering something where a machine is a big factor in the outcome a sport.

I think this answer is two fold.  I voted yes, but I don't think that racing is a "sport".  I would challenge anyone to drive those cars around and deal with the heat and exhaustion they endure over 500 miles.  They are all in great shape.  I do however have a hard time considering something where a machine is a big factor in the outcome a sport.

246838[/snapback]

so, dealing with extreme heat and exhaustion makes them athletes?

Well, then, I better contact ticketmaster and get some front row seat to watch the guys down the block who are roofing for the next week. It's supposed to be 85 degrees all week.

Just because its on TV and they guys deal with heat and exhaustion does not make them athletes.

so, dealing with extreme heat and exhaustion makes them athletes?

Well, then, I better contact ticketmaster and get some front row seat to watch the guys down the block who are roofing for the next week.  It's supposed to be 85 degrees all week.

Just because its on TV and they guys deal with heat and exhaustion does not make them athletes.

246847[/snapback]

Are golfers "athletes"? That's really physically demanding. How about figure skaters?

Are golfers "athletes"?  That's really physically demanding.  How about figure skaters?

246849[/snapback]

Are golfers athletes? Yes.

Figure skaters? HELL yes.

I've driven from WNY to South Florida in a car with broken air conditioning. 22 hours. Am I an athlete? No.

Are golfers athletes? Yes.

Figure skaters? HELL yes.

I've driven from WNY to South Florida in a car with broken air conditioning. 22 hours. Am I an athlete? No.

246854[/snapback]

Explain to me what's athletic about golf? If you say golf is athletic that means you also believe bowling is athletic correct?

Explain to me what's athletic about golf?  If you say golf is athletic that means you also believe bowling is athletic correct?

246869[/snapback]

Golf is more athletic than Nascar because the golfers actually have to do something physical. Swing a club at a ball an makle it go 300+yards. Moreso, however, is the fact that the have to walk over 3.5 miles per 18. Now, there was recently a case of a golfer who couldn't physically walk that much, adn he asked PGA to let him use a cart. No. They wouldn't let him. That same guy would be able to push a gas pedal for 500miles.

And bowling is not a sport, but sadly is more athletic than NASCAR.