Cover1.net has great Bills-specific draft analysis

In this video, you even seem to agree that there are multiple reads in Roman's system and at times Taylor hit them, at times Taylor got happy feet or was confused by the coverage he saw, and that he progressed as the season went on - which I completely agree with

I think ur misunderstanding me. What I am saying is the way in which Roman is packaging pass concepts makes it difficult on a QB period. If he can't throw to single wr he has to come all the away across the field to his second read. That's why dilfer said that the footwork doesn't match up. When Qbs drop back and hit top of the drop that's first read. Hitch up once that's second read third/check down is next. There is no progression of footwork and depth of routes. Instead he hits top of drop no one open. Scans backside zone beaters and those guys r covered bc the defenders plaster WRs bc the timing is nonnexistent.

I have them taking Joseph in the 1st myself and looking back at his tape, my thought was that minus the injury he would be a top 20 lock. If the medical is good, he's a 1st rounder all day in this draft. The talking heads are starting to realize this and putting him in their mocks too, which leads me to believe his medicals are checking out. Aside from his talent, A. Williams is a neck injury/injury away from calling it a career IMO as well, and Graham is nearing the end, Joseph is an upgrade, and I'd prefer him in the 2nd, but I doubt he makes to the 2nd round. Id love to see him and his talent in Buffalo, he is a wealthy mans Earl Thomas, not a poor mans. I agree with every word you wrote, obviously you have read my posts and others here as well, LOL!

I like Kuafasi in the 3rd round myself, w/out knowing who was still available in your mock, the 2nd round for reasons you state is possible. Again, I agree with your analysis and like his fit, especially being able to stand up and rush, providing versatility for a DE/OLB role in Rex's D. He is a good fit.

I could see Jones in the 3rd, that is where his value is because of his punt returning ability, which I would add to your analysis, would love to see him in the 4th which is where I see his nickel CB (I agree he could come in and contribute in the field and boundary CB) value at, but I doubt he makes it there given his game breaking punt return ability.

Preskott I am not as high on, he has progressed, but I have not put enough time on him to say much else. My gut doesnt like him in the NFL, but that means nothing.

I like the the Henry pick and agree on all points.

Lawler, Lewis and Goodson are all nice 3rd day adds.

Overall, I thought it was a good mock!! Nice fits, analysis and most of all it made sense IMO. Good to see another poster putting in the time, being rational and posting on the board, welcome!!

Thanks! I haven't seen ur posts this is literally my first thread I am really involved w. First week here too! Go Bills!

Couple of thoughts: First up, I'd be fine with this draft even though none of these players are on my "likely"list. It's a good group though, and your reasoning is solid.I especially like Kaufusi.

Second: If Joseph is picked at 19, I think the fans are going to go nuts. And the talking heads are going to beat the hell out of Whaley. I think he will bring back memories of Donte Whitner, a perfectly fine player who was vilified for being picked too soon, at least according to a vocal contingent of Bills fans.

Finally, you kept saying "Rex really likes..." or similar as if he is making the picks. I really don't think Whaley is going to put his future and his reputation on the line by ceding that power to Rex like they did in NY because - beside Rex being nuts - I believe Whaley is looking beyond this season and is ambivalent about Rex after this season. Someone I trust says the atmosphere around OBD has grown noticeably chilly where Rex is concerned in the wake of his highly publicized backing of Trump. It seems to have escaped Rex's notice that Trump is notoriously anti-immigrant, anti-women and fairly sketchy about non-whites. Had he used his brain, Rex mght have noticed that one of the Bills owners is an immigrant woman of Korean descent and that the other owner is her husband. I'm told that was something of a last straw and that he is on the thinnest of ice. He has been strangely MIA since the Trump rally. No interviews with Chris Brown/John Murphy, no appearances on the networks, no pressers with the local media, at least that I'm aware of. And he's a guy who's an addict for attention. Who knows? Maybe it's all off-season nonsense.

BTW,my source about this is not with the Bills and isn't even a resident of New York. Not even much of a football fan. Might be buying a place on Canandaigua Lake though, near the Wegmans.

So...the Pegula's put Rex on the "thinnest of ice" because of...Donald Trump?

That is true, I think Roman will open it up more. I just worry about his passing game bc like Dilfer said the footwork doesn't match up with the depth of the route. Hence TT is sitting in the pocket waiting for route to develop instead of throwing on timing. If u watch his system going back to SF even with Alex Smith it was the same...

Did you know that Dilfer and Trent Baalke are close friends? I just learned this today:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/03/trent-dilfer-has-no-intention-to-join-49ers/

The phrase “no intention” often provides cover for a change of intentions later. And with Dilfer counting 49ers G.M. Trent Baalke as one of Dilfer’s closest friends, whenever Dilfer changes his intentions, the door could swing open.

That tidbit adds some context to Dilfer's criticism of Roman's offense and Taylor's skillset, although I'm not sure which way it cuts, either it gives Dilfer more direct access to how Roman's system works, or it's part of Baalke's ongoing efforts to shift blame to his former coaching staffs...

I think ur misunderstanding me. What I am saying is the way in which Roman is packaging pass concepts makes it difficult on a QB period. If he can't throw to single wr he has to come all the away across the field to his second read. That's why dilfer said that the footwork doesn't match up. When Qbs drop back and hit top of the drop that's first read. Hitch up once that's second read third/check down is next. There is no progression of footwork and depth of routes. Instead he hits top of drop no one open. Scans backside zone beaters and those guys r covered bc the defenders plaster WRs bc the timing is nonnexistent.

You're absolutely right, I didn't understand you and missed that connecting link you draw between Roman's play concepts and Taylor's footwork. I thought you were saying it was a 1 read offense. And I read Dilfer as saying that Taylor was not being properly coached as to footwork.

If you're right, it's a pretty scary indictment of Roman's passing offense, and a probable reason why Kaep's progression stalled/ regressed.

I"m not sure what you're saying exactly matches up with what I believe I've seen on all-22 and condensed/slow though. I have seen open guys, and Taylor either doesn't see them or has flushed out of the pocket so can't make those throws. And I still think Dilfer may have meant that Taylor is not being properly coached with his footwork, not that the play is designed so as to make progression impossible.

Anyway, great site, and I'll be enjoying it during the season.

So...the Pegula's put Rex on the "thinnest of ice" because of...Donald Trump?

Seems odd if so but...Rex is a highly-public "face of the franchise" for the Bills right now, and I can see a female, immigrant owner being highly PO'd about Rex's decision to attach himself (and by association, the Bills) with Trump. Whoever Rex supports politically is his business and his right to choose, but I thought it was a poor idea to pull the Bills into it.

I based it off the all 22 film of every game.

Did you know that Dilfer and Trent Baalke are close friends? I just learned this today:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/03/trent-dilfer-has-no-intention-to-join-49ers/

The phrase no intention often provides cover for a change of intentions later. And with Dilfer counting 49ers G.M. Trent Baalke as one of Dilfers closest friends, whenever Dilfer changes his intentions, the door could swing open.

That tidbit adds some context to Dilfer's criticism of Roman's offense and Taylor's skillset, although I'm not sure which way it cuts, either it gives Dilfer more direct access to how Roman's system works, or it's part of Baalke's ongoing efforts to shift blame to his former coaching staffs...

I used his words as he reason why I looked into it not the evidence. The evidence is the film. Guys. Modern passing games are based on footwork. The 3-5-7 drops are supposed to match the depth of the routes... I don't know how else to put it. It is not normal to have a QB scan the whole field unless working progressions or looking a safety off. Instead Roman's Qbs have been in top five every year avg snap to throw.... It's not just young Qbs. Ever wonder why Roman's teams are always one of the top ypc teams in NFL? Bc he runs a vertical passing game not a timed, 3-5-7 throw offense.

Edited by TurnerE

Stunning stuff Erik, thanks for putting your work out there. It's incredibly rare for people to have insight and back up their opinions with data. Loved how you sorted through past Ravens footage for clues as to how Rex might use the new defensive draft picks in a 34 defense. Fifteen or so years ago the mantra for a switch from 43 to 34 defense was that it takes 2 years because of personnel. The front office never billed the hiring of Rex that way, but it's working out that way.

The phrase no intention often provides cover for a change of intentions later. And with Dilfer counting 49ers G.M. Trent Baalke as one of Dilfers closest friends, whenever Dilfer changes his intentions, the door could swing open.

Wow. I didn't know they were friends. But I do still agree s his assessment.

Stunning stuff Erik, thanks for putting your work out there. It's incredibly rare for people to have insight and back up their opinions with data. Loved how you sorted through past Ravens footage for clues as to how Rex might use the new defensive draft picks in a 34 defense. Fifteen or so years ago the mantra for a switch from 43 to 34 defense was that it takes 2 years because of personnel. The front office never billed the hiring of Rex that way, but it's working out that way.

. Appreciate the support and the discussion here guys!!! All good stuff.