(OT) Nosey people

erynthered

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is a company computer then there shouldn't be any personal email in the inbox or any folder for that matter. There should only be business related emails. So whats the problem? I would reprimand the person with personal emails on their computer at work.

Should this guy be fired? No, it seems kind of harsh. But if this is the last straw kind of thing, previous problems, etc., fire him.

Just my two cents !

You're right, maybe I've changed. Though, I still believe that if someone steals your private mail, work or not, they should be beatin within an inch of their life. Course I like VA's take also. :rolleyes:

Though, I dont go peeking into other peoples mail boxes. If that happened in my driveway, they'd be using a shovel to pick up the remains.

Dont you think thats sick?

245749[/snapback]

What take did I have. All I said was I am sure noone would read my mail.

Well, what would you do, I mean, this is a breach of trust. The Company I work for is suppose to be a family.

245630[/snapback]

if this truely is the environment that you operate under, then i would agree with AD. a stern warning is in order and perhaps some sort of public apology (or at least a face to face apology with the victim) so that a little humility is instilled in order to drive home the fact that this cannot happen again by him or anyone else. you can tell everyone that this is a warning for EVERYONE and if there is a next time then dismissal will be the result.

You have no expectation of privacy on the internet.  When i worked at an IPP, i read people's email all the time.  We had one website that was a front for child prostitution.  If we didn't do an audit on his email, we would have never known.  So who cares if SDS reads your PMs.

245856[/snapback]

I think there is an understanding when it comes to that. The question is what is the information then used for.

If this is a company computer then there shouldn't be any personal email in the inbox or any folder for that matter. There should only be business related emails. So whats the problem? I would reprimand the person with personal emails on their computer at work.

Should this guy be fired? No, it seems kind of harsh. But if this is the last straw kind of thing, previous problems, etc., fire him.

Just my two cents !

245873[/snapback]

Not always true. My company allows personal email to be sent to and even stored on a company computer.

No, they are being read here by the administrators.  Not "could".  "Are". 

And frankly, SDS is within his rights doing so, since it's his friggin' database.  In fact, I'd wager he pretty much has to, just to keep his ass protected (even if PM's are "private", they're not so private that if someone's advocating criminal activity in them, SDS wouldn't get in trouble.)  So he reads PM's...big deal.

But what he does with that information...well, that's a whole 'nother story.  Say, if he uses it to break into other private systems, or screw people over out of pure egomaniacal spite...

245773[/snapback]

Well, if you are keeping track of things you are wrong about - you can add this to the list. :doh:

I'll leave the inappropriate aspect of this thread aside and just address the innuendo.

1. Admins do not read PMs. Never have, never will.

2. There is no admin function to actually do this. The only way for the admins to make sense of the PM's is to log-in as the poster. This is impossible since all the passwords are one-way encrypted. (i.e. there is no "de-encrypter" available.) So, I cannot steal passwords.

3. Only 3 people have access to the raw dB - me, mcjeff (who helped me with some configuration files last fall), and our hosting company. NG does not have this access.

4. To access the PM's - I would have to do the following:

a. make a back-up of the dB and download the file.

b. decompress this (the dB that was at our last server expanded into a 500 MB text file).

c. Pour through 500,000 lines of MYSQL insert statements.

d. All posts and PM's have their subject line and message separated into separate tables, so you only have 1/2 the info per one line of code.

e. I would then have to memorize the dB scheme to know that column A was the recipient and column G was the sender.

f. in those columns are member numbers - not names. I would then have to lookup or memorize everyone's member number in an attempt to follow a message.

g. within that mysql insert statement - everything is contained on a single line, complete with raw html/bbc code. That would make for easy reading as I scroll to the right reading code from member 34 to member 4123. <_<

h. to find out the date of sent messages - I would need to have handy a unix time converter as all dates are stored in that format.

I looked through the old dB ONCE - for AKC and his Foxboro Mike bet - and it was a huge waste of time. I spent an hour and half searching for that friggin' bet. If it wasn't AKC (or perhaps a handful of others) - I would have said no. In fact, I would never do it again and I have had requests to do so. It nearly made my eyes bleed.

That is just the mechanics of it.

The other half would be why I would want to do that in the 1st place. I barely read 5% of what is posted here and I barely have time to answer my OWN PM's. Anyone who has PM'd me in the past knows about my lack of response time. So, with a fairly new job, a house, a 4 year old and a 3 month old - if there someone in this thread that actually thinks I have the time and inclination to read through coded messages, w/o subject lines from some member number to another member number they are delusional.

So, you are correct in the fact that I COULD read PM's. However, due to the dB scheme and the inherent board functions - it makes completely impractical for anyone other than a UNIX guru or a single person to actually pull it off. I am neither.

If anyone has concerns about this then PM me.