(OT) Nosey people

erynthered

How did this person "break into" the account?  Did the "victim" leave their computer unlocked?  Did the person try guessing passwords?  Did the person put a keystroke logger on the victim's computer?  That's all pretty important...

Where I work (as a sysadmin), if you leave your PC unlocked, you're fair game.  I sent a resignation letter to my boss in the name of the person who left his terminal unlocked.  Guess who got in trouble?  The guy who left the terminal unlocked. :rolleyes:  But that's because we all had an understanding ahead of time.

Anyway, there's three sides to every story, and we're only hearing yours.  (also, you have no expectation of privacy while using company computers...  So there is no invasion of privacy)

CW

245641[/snapback]

You raise good points Fez, though its difficult to explain. I think its that the computer was left on. Kind of an open access thing. Sorry, I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to these things. But its pretty Obvious that he’s done it. With out getting into to much detail. There is no paper trail. Though its, again obvious that this little sh*t has done it, and there maybe another little !@#$.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What if it was a sysadmin that was doing the reading?

245647[/snapback]

Depends. Again, management may have asked him to look at the mail; that's happened in my company (I don't maintain the mail servers there though), looking for insider trading and other stuff.

However, if the sysadmin had no reason/permission to do it, AND THE COMPANY HAS A POLICY AGAINST IT, then you can get in trouble. If there's no policy, generally it just boils down to an ethical thing.

I have full access to a lot of systems in my company, including payroll. However, the policy clearly states that if I view that info (and am caught, obviously), that I will be terminated. Without that policy though, it's a lot harder to terminate someone.

CW

So they should be called Semi-Private Messages right?

245650[/snapback]

Where do you see them officially called Private messages? Top of my screen says "0 New Messages." When I click on your name, the link says "send personal messages." Nothing about privacy.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?act=Help&CODE=01&HID=6

Sorry, but unless you encrypt stuff, you have no expectation of privacy. If you want to learn how to encrypt your email, I highly recommend reading here:

http://www.gnupg.org/

More people really should be doing this; I used to with all of my CSci buddies in college, but in the corporate world, it doesn't seem very prevelant.

CW

Where do you see them officially called Private messages?  Top of my screen says "0 New Messages." When I click on your name, the link says "send personal messages."  Nothing about privacy.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?act=Help&CODE=01&HID=6

Sorry, but unless you encrypt stuff, you have no expectation of privacy.  If you want to learn how to encrypt your email, I highly recommend reading here:

http://www.gnupg.org/

More people really should be doing this; I used to with all of my CSci buddies in college, but in the corporate world, it doesn't seem very prevelant.

CW

245662[/snapback]

Personal sorry. I guess I was under a false sense that they weren't being read here. I'll remember that before the next TBD Fundraiser.

Personal sorry. I guess I was under a false sense that they weren't being read here. I'll remember that before the next TBD Fundraiser.

245668[/snapback]

I don't mean to imply that they ARE being read. However, they COULD be read. Note the distinction.

That said, any email you send on the internet could be read by anybody on the net who owns a router pretty easily. Most of the stuff going on the 'net is unencrypted -- sorta like tv signals used to be when people had the Big dishes - so don't start plotting a murder or bank robbery through email or personal messages, just in case. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I didn't mean to make everyone paranoid. :doh:

CW

Absolutely nothing -- and Scott is fully within his rights to look at any and all PMs and you'd have no repurcussions.  Same thing at work -- no expectation of privacy.

How do you know that the guy wasn't told to go into the email?  Playing Devil's Advocate, how do you know that it's not you being the noisy one?

CW

245646[/snapback]

You’re absolutely right Fez. If anyone is under the impression that Scott or his like is not looking at your PM’s they’re greatly mistaken, along with your work e-mails. They’ll use these things against you if the opportunity arises. Sad, really, to think that this site would stoop to such a thing, but yet its possible, right?

So much for being a family. :rolleyes:

You’re absolutely right Fez. If anyone is under the impression that Scott or his like is not looking at your PM’s they’re greatly mistaken, along with your work e-mails. They’ll use these things against you if the opportunity arises. Sad, really, to think that this site would stoop to such a thing, but yet its possible, right?

So much for being a family. :rolleyes:

245680[/snapback]

I doubt anyone would stoop to that level of childs play.

What are you guys talking about? 

Also, I thought I saw a message from Mark VI about the Drew cut and his take on JP getting the starting nod.  Maybe that was from someone else.

245690[/snapback]

I was talking about a guy at work and how he got into somone else's e-mail and used it against him. What would you do if you found out that someone was using your Private mails against you?

I'd fire his azz? You? Or If I saw him do it, I may have to beat his azz. I was looking for input.

I was talking about a guy at work and how he got into somone else's e-mail and used it against him. What would you do if you found out that someone was using your Private mails against you?

I'd fire his azz? You? Or If I saw him do it, I may have to beat his azz. I was looking for input.

245704[/snapback]

Virginia has concealed weapons permits, and military folks with honorable discharges get them pretty easy. I am sure noone would read my personal stuff.