Nazi sub discovered in lake ontario

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, that locks were 240' long. Our lock in S.Chicago was tacked on to Seaway appropriations when the lock was constucted in 1960. It is right @ the terminus of The Seaway @ Lake Calumet. The lock was built to 1000' longx110', but still shallow draft (18 feet over sills, but canal project depth is 9'). That chamber size is a whole 8 times larger than the locks on the old Cornwall! The width of the old Cornwall is downright tight at 45'!!! Old Cornwall has the dimensions of The Okeechobee Waterway... St. Lucie Lock (250'x50') was built in 1945... I wonder why they didn't go bigger seeing that the Intercoastal was hustled to a finish during the war... To protect Atlantic shipping. ??

The Cornwall Canal was built in the late 1800's. There were 3 boats that used to run the Long Sault Rapids which no longer exist since the building of the power dam. The deepest draft on those 3 boats was six and a half feet. Not something you would want to navigate if you weren't familiar with the waters. What replaced it is pretty interesting history involving 2 countries, new locks and a pretty good size power dam with an international border going right down the middle. There has been talk of enlarging the Eisenhower locks in recent years but I haven't seen anything lately on it.

I started an extensive lock thread on OTW... I should add your link!

Thanks again,

Thank you. If you haven't already guessed Cornwall is in my neck of the woods just over the border. You got me interested in reading a little more of the local history which kind of explained the odd looking islands in front of the dam.

That Nazi sub in Chicago, how did they get that there?

http://www.msichicago.org/explore/whats-here/exhibits/u-505-submarine/

Obama was not about facebook. Facebook is about baby pics, dumb pets pics (which I love) and selfies (which I hate)

To get U-505 to the museum, they had to transport it across Lakeshore Drive, I guess it was quite a feat/spectacle back when they made it happen.

I have never been on Facebook, never had an account and don't have the desire to.

Actually, I was on it once. I was outside chooping fire wood about 5 years ago when my son called me in. Seems he was on FB and talking w/my best friend (growing up). My friend asked my son: "Where's your father? Why doesn't he FB?" My son called me and typed: "Hello, out splitting wood." LoL...

Only, catch... I can't figure out why I frequent this place since 2002... LoL... I am like a social media Luddite. I can embrace tech (like this Galaxy S6 I am on now), but I am resistant to change... Still stuck in the BBS realm... Ha! TSW: "One stop, one shop!" :-)

I don't blame you, they must all hit too close to home.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-ukFAvYP3UU

That Nazi sub in Chicago, how did they get that there?

http://www.msichicago.org/explore/whats-here/exhibits/u-505-submarine/

I posted a news article on page 2 two days ago.

Monday, May 8, 1954

The German submarine U-205, the only submarine ever captured on the high seas, passed through the Cornwall Canel locks Friday enroute to Chicago shrine to Americans who lost their lives at sea during World War 2.

Do try to pay attention.

I posted a news article on page 2 two days ago.

Do try to pay attention.

The aptly named Russian Bear was able to slip through Goldie Locks with ease. The lock operator was looking for Asian Carp and totally missed that slickly disguised sea urchin/European Ruskkie.

post-9928-0-34145500-1458709124_thumb.jpg

Edited by 3rdnlng

I posted a news article on page 2 two days ago. Do try to pay attention.

Actually, it's one of three German subs captured in WWII, excluding surrenders at the end of the war. (And it's U-505, though I presume that was just a typo.) The other two subs were U-110 and U-570/HMS Graph.

U-110's the most important of the three. U-505's capture was so counter-productive that Captain Gallery was nearly court-martialled for pulling that stunt.

Wow that is crazy!

I want to see TheDonald build a wall across The Gulf!

#TheGulfofMexicoWall

#Get'erDoneDonald!

I guess the most exotic places I ever seen a vessel come through S.Chicago, were vessels that were going to and from places like Belize or other places like British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands etc... Had a group of Kiwis come through, but I don't think they originated their journey in New Zealand.

How easy would it be to slip right up through The Heartland by water?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Wow that is crazy!

I want to see TheDonald build a wall across The Gulf!

#TheGulfofMexicoWall

#Get'erDoneDonald!

I guess the most exotic places I ever seen a vessel come through S.Chicago, were vessels that were going to and from places like Belize or other places like British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands etc... Had a group of Kiwis come through, but I don't think they originated their journey in New Zealand.

How easy would it be to slip right up through The Heartland by water?

Lol!