Erie County Budget Crisis

rolly

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does any one ever see a scenario in which the parks will EVER open again? If not, some of that property is in areas of high property values. The county should then consider selling these to developers to create cash. Any thoughts?

you do not sell parks to cover your budget, period. dumb idea.

they'll reopen somehow, someday.

Thank you for leaving.  One less troll to contend with.

246431[/snapback]

Great comment, I mean what does the truth hurt so bad that you are resulted to insults only.

I left too because I couldn't find a good job. The problem seven years later and the city and county are even worse off. Maybe WNY needs to actual do something different because what they are doing just isn't getting it done.

Raise taxes in Erie County and drive the rest of the businesses away.  It is already one of if not the MOST taxed county in the country.  You would think that Buffalo would be the most clean, crime free, and best place to live by the amount of taxes you pay. 

Raise the sales tax to 9.25%!!!  Okay go buy a $30K car and pay close to 3G in sales taxes or go to another county and save a few hundred dollars.  The tax rates are punative already. 

246124[/snapback]

Consider yourself lucky. Oneida County Total Sales Tax is going to be 9.75% on March 1st.

Some of the blame is NYS. Makes counties pay half (?) of Mediboondoggle Taxes. Most states pay most if not all.

But root cause is inefficiencies [don't get me started on DSS, as a landlord I could tell you stories that would make you cry] and too many Enquirer Cat ladies (or foxy blonds that sit at the desk and do their nails all day and whomever at night).

Outsource 90% and hold the rest accountable!

Hey I was born and raised there, but the region hasn't moved out of the depression since the steel industry died.

You can stay there and pay for the programs and the poor quality of life. Give me a break.

I'd move back if there jobs and if the region moved forward in any direction except down!

Where does all the money go???? Medicaid is a huge drain on the county and state. Best prescription plan in the state. I did my residency there and we always would be amazed at all the benefits they received and it is the best prescription plan in the state. They have to rein in the costs of medicaid. If they did that they would not have to nickel and dime all the parks etc...

I miss Buffalo and think it is a great area, but reading and hearing all of this makes me wonder about ever moving back. How come states with equally as bad climate etc(all of New England, Ohio, all of the midwest) tax half as much and don't have nearly all the problems of NYS--simply amazing,....and sad.

Hey I was born and raised there, but the region hasn't moved out of the depression  since the steel industry died.

You can stay there and pay for the programs and the poor quality of life. Give me a break.

I'd move back if there jobs and if the region moved forward in any direction except down!

246758[/snapback]

Property values in VA are skyrocketing. The value of my house almost doubled since I bought it in 1996...And I live on the cusp of the ghetto. In another eight years when I get all these little bastards of mine through college, I will have a serious talk with the old lady about going back to Buffalo.

I can take my equity and run...Pay cash (about $50,000 by then) for a nice place in an exclsive area in East Amherst and pay cash for a couple luxuary cars with the rest of it.

I will live mortgage free like a king amongst you rust belt slime.

I will hire you to shovel my driveway and mow my lawn.

They are set to lay off 2,000 county employees as early as tomorrow. I don't know if that will help, but we shall see.

244457[/snapback]

too bad they are laying off the wrong ones.

They should start with top level politicians where the savings will actually generate a 2 fold benefit

you do not sell parks to cover your budget, period. dumb idea. 

they'll reopen somehow, someday.

246516[/snapback]

Yeah, I was only kind of playing devil's advocate. It's just that the whole concept of closing the parks I believe to be nothing more than taxpayer punishment. If the county is going to play hard ball and use the parks for leverage, my initial feeling is to lash back and say fine, then sell them off.

You do know parks have been closed for 3 weeks before any staff reduction even took place. What the hell was that all about?