Erie County Budget Crisis

rolly

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What good does a second person do? He can take over if the other guy has a heart attack? He can nudge the driver awake? He can yell, "Hey man, watch out for that--- oh wait, too late, you hit it. "

245218[/snapback]

Just another pair of eyes in the plow helps. People don't realize how dangerous it really is to plow with a big truck like that. I'm almost positive the State requires a spotter when their plows are backing up. That means one man must get out of the plow and let the driver know it's clear to back up. If the plow driver has an accident with out a spotter the driver is in deep sh--.

Just another pair of eyes in the plow helps. People don't realize how dangerous it really is to plow with a big truck like that. I'm almost positive the State requires a spotter when their plows are backing up. That means one man must get out of the plow and let the driver know it's clear to back up. If the plow driver has an accident with out a spotter the driver is in deep sh--.

245259[/snapback]

Buy a $10,000.00 camera so he can see what the he!! is behind him - it's still cheaper than having two people in the plow. I'm sorry but if the police and sheriiff can drive around by themselves, a plow driver can do the same.

Too many people in Buffalo being subsidized by the gov't.

Get rid of welfare.

Buy a $10,000.00 camera so he can see what the he!! is behind him - it's still cheaper than having two people in the plow.  I'm sorry but if the police and sheriiff can drive around by themselves, a plow driver can do the same.

Too many people in Buffalo being subsidized by the gov't.

Get rid of welfare.

245269[/snapback]

It's people like you who need to take a ride in a plow sometime and see what it's all about at 3am in the morning. I'm telling you, cuts need to be made in other places, your money is not being wasted by having a second plow rider.

Trim the fat at the top!

Buy a $10,000.00 camera so he can see what the he!! is behind him - it's still cheaper than having two people in the plow.  I'm sorry but if the police and sheriiff can drive around by themselves, a plow driver can do the same.

I wonder why more services (police, ambulance, truck drivers, etc.) don't use a camera like that. It might be expensive to install, but it sure would save a lot of money in the long run from things getting backed into and people getting hurt.

I wonder why more services (police, ambulance, truck drivers, etc.) don't use a camera like that. It might be expensive to install, but it sure would save a lot of money in the long run from things getting backed into and people getting hurt.

245388[/snapback]

So now the driver has a camera to watch while he's plowing? It don't make sense to me. Give him a cell phone to uh?

No....it's a camera that shows what's behind you. You only use it when you're backing up.  They put them on a lot of cars, Lexus was the first that I can remember doing it commercially.

245399[/snapback]

Most counties hire part time help in the winter to help with the plowing. I don't see the big waste of money there?

What good does a second person do?

245218[/snapback]

He has the map.

TURN LEFT.........NO, YOUR OTHER LEFT ASSCLOWN!!!!!! :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

LET'S CHECK OUT ELMWOOD AGAIN! HOW BOUT BAILEY????? WHAT DISTRICT, LET'S JUST PICK ANY STREET IN THE CITY.......ROCK PAPER SCISSORS......2 OUT OF 3......I SAY MILITARY.......WHAT YOU SAY? MCKINLEY PARKWAY?????

:rolleyes::doh::doh::doh::doh:

He has the map.

TURN LEFT.........NO, YOUR OTHER LEFT ASSCLOWN!!!!!!    :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

LET'S CHECK OUT ELMWOOD AGAIN!  HOW BOUT BAILEY????? WHAT DISTRICT, LET'S JUST PICK ANY STREET IN THE CITY.......ROCK PAPER SCISSORS......2 OUT OF 3......I SAY MILITARY.......WHAT YOU SAY?  MCKINLEY PARKWAY?????

:rolleyes:  :doh:  :doh:  :doh:  :doh:

245503[/snapback]

You forgot: "stop and see what that hooker is charging"

All right, a serious reply. When Giambra took office he talked about consolidation of state, county & town services so as to eliminate waste and lower costs. I thought the best opportunity would have been to consolidate all snow plowing within the county. It should have been relatively easy and painless, at least compared to other political hot-beds. The county needs a more consistent effort to clear all streets within the county. We do a poor job when in the suburbs streets are cleared 3-4 times, while city streets have yet to see a plow. Everyone in the county should see the same results. Especially with so many suburb people working in the city, it is the right thing to do for everyone

I live in North Carolina and down here we have a total of 100 school districts. Most of the states county have their own but a few select community didn't join the county system.

In Niagara County alone they have 10 school districts (NT, NF, NW, Lew-Port, Wilson, Starpoint, Lockport, Newfane, Backer and Roy-Hart) with a population of about 220,000. The county I live in, Cumberland, has a large population than Niagara (300,000).

Think about that, 9 school districts all with their own Superintendent, each likely making $80 to 90,000 +. Combined with all the bureaucracy that goes with it. The Superintendent down here makes $154K + other bonus money. However that may represent a savings of more than a $600K a year if not more to Niagara County.

How many school districts are their in Erie County? The number must be doubled, if not more.

Western New York needs to streamline and combined services. If not on a massive scale than on a smaller scale. I know Erie county could never agree to combine into one school district because wealthier places like Williamsville and Orchard Park will never agree but something has to be done to lower the overhead.

Pivot man in government circle jerk.

245220[/snapback]

Hm, there's been a lot of circle jerk comments lately. :rolleyes:

How many of the Erie County programs receive federal or state funding? Are those at risk at well?

Those foolish bastards up there are making it quite difficult to seriously consider ever moving back. Year after year they consider to economically destroy the region.

-Jeff

Western New York needs to streamline and combined services. If not on a massive scale than on a smaller scale. I know Erie county could never agree to combine into one school district because wealthier places like Williamsville and Orchard Park will never agree but something has to be done to lower the overhead.

Or privatize a lot of it... (not schools per se, but a lot of the other junk).

I live in North Carolina and down here we have a total of 100 school districts. Most of the states county have their own but a few select community didn't join the county system.

How do those schools rank against NYS schools? Georgia is the same way. One district per county for the most part, with the exception of lager cities, i.e. Atlanta city. One thing to remember about most of those schools... they're absolutely horrible.

The plan sounds good and all, but look at county size in the south. I drive through three on my way to work (Cherokee, Cobb, Fulton).

Georgia has 159 counties, New York has 66, five of which make up NYC. Could one Erie County district handle the needs of inner-city Buffalo schools and at the same time, Springville schools? Probably not. You'd end up with the out-of-touch SWAT team patrolled drop-out-fests we have down here.

-Jeff

Or privatize a lot of it...  (not schools per se, but a lot of the other junk).

How do those schools rank against NYS schools?  Georgia is the same way.  One district per county for the most part, with the exception of lager cities, i.e. Atlanta city.  One thing to remember about most of those schools... they're absolutely horrible.

The plan sounds good and all, but look at county size in the south.  I drive through three on my way to work (Cherokee, Cobb, Fulton).

Georgia has 159 counties, New York has 66, five of which make up NYC.  Could one Erie County district handle the needs of inner-city Buffalo schools and at the same time, Springville schools? Probably not.  You'd end up with the out-of-touch SWAT team patrolled drop-out-fests we have down here.

-Jeff

245903[/snapback]

North Carolina and Texas were the models behinds GWB's brillant No Child Left Behind Act. Here in Cumberland County the school are preforming well with some doing great and other struggling. A lot of that is result of where the students comes from. But at least all the students have access to the same education quality (in theory). We all know that teaching quality differs.

I work at a low income middle school and during the past two years we have had a $450,000 a year technology grant. We saw a 8% growth in students test scores last year and we only missed meeting Federal standards by 0.24%. But this year seems like a different story. Most of my kids come from one parent homes where mom has four kids from three different guys. There is almost no parent support so kids do do homework, etc. However, the county can move teachers around if they so choose.

In the end, the county spends about the same on all the schools. Having grown up in NT, I know that I had a better education than I would have down here but I think it is more social. My wife and I do not want our kids going to school down here because of the social background. Parent don't seem to care and there's way too many kids in that type of situation. When I went to school about 20% of the kids didn't seem to care. Down here I'd say 50% of my 109 students have a I don't care attitude, and only 20% are working at or above their abilities. That is all about desire, which has to start at home. I did well in school because my parent expected it.

Back in WNY, I think streamlining and combining some school districts would save money and not have a negative effect on results, but that can't be proven.

I just heard David Rutecki on WBEN who was named as a budget mediator.  He felt that the FIFTEEN legislators can't possibly go without staff so he put $250,000 back in for their staffing needs.  Then to be FAIR, he put $250,000 back in for the County Executives staff so they wouldn't feel slighted.

Just brilliant!  This guy has a rosey future as a budget mediator! <_<

It's sh-- like this that makes me say why bother even following politics. :doh:

244586[/snapback]

So you're saying that the legislative and executive branches don't need any staff? Last time I looked, it's the staff that does the actual work. It would be foolish to abolish these 6-7 bodies if it means county government would sieze up.

There's expense control and then there's "cutting off the nose to spite the face." With 10,000 employees running around, there's ample room to cut elsewhere.

It'll all come down to the courts, anyway, like it always does in NYS. I just hope Joel enjoys his vacation at Disneyworld this week. Maybe Goofy can give him some advice on crisis management. :doh:

The only way to solve this crisis is to RAISE TAXES

Simple math

County services don't come free.

You don't work free and neither do county workers

You people have been getting a free ride for too long.

Pony up, moe foes

245536[/snapback]

?????

Raising taxes is the reason why Erie County is among the poorest in the U.S.

Raise taxes in Erie County and drive the rest of the businesses away. It is already one of if not the MOST taxed county in the country. You would think that Buffalo would be the most clean, crime free, and best place to live by the amount of taxes you pay.

Raise the sales tax to 9.25%!!! Okay go buy a $30K car and pay close to 3G in sales taxes or go to another county and save a few hundred dollars. The tax rates are punative already.